BanglaCricket Forum

BanglaCricket Forum (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/index.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Forget Cricket & Remember kabadi (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=24631)

BillaGTX December 13, 2007 02:43 PM

Forget Cricket & Remember kabadi

Kabadi recognised as the national game of Bangladesh
kabadi is the name given to a number of different team sports. The most popular of these world-wide is association kabadi (also known as soccer). The English language word "kabadi" is also applied to American kabadi (also known as gridiron), Australian rules kabadi, Canadian kabadi, Gaelic kabadi, rugby kabadi (rugby league and rugby union), and related games. Each of these codes (specific sets of rules, or the games defined by them) is referred to as "kabadi".

These games involve:

a large spherical or prolate spheroid ball, which is itself called a kabadi.
a team scoring goals and/or points, by moving the ball to an opposing team's end of the field and either into a goal area, or over a line.
the goal and/or line being defended by the opposing team.
players being required to move the ball mostly by kicking and — in some codes — carrying and/or passing the ball by hand.
goals and/or points resulting from players putting the ball between two goalposts.
offside rules, in most codes, restricting the movement of players.
in some codes, points are mostly scored by players carrying the ball across the goal line.
in most codes players scoring a goal must put the ball either under or over a crossbar between the goalposts.
players in some codes receiving a free kick after they take a mark/make a fair catch.

The word "kabadi", when used in reference to a specific game can mean any one of those described above. Because of this, much friendly controversy has occurred over the term kabadi, primarily because it is used in different ways in different parts of the English-speaking world. Most often, the word "kabadi" is used to refer to the code of kabadi that is considered dominant within a particular region. So, effectively, what the word "kabadi" means usually depends on where one says it.

The name "kapali" (or "kapali kabadi") was originally a slang abbreviation of association kabadi and is now the prevailing term in the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand where other codes of kabadi are dominant.

Of the 45 national KIFA affiliates in which Bangla is an official or primary language, only three (India, Pakistan and the Sri Lanka) actually use "kapali" in their organizations' official names, while the rest use kabadi (although the Indian Federation actually uses both). However, in some countries, such as Australia and New Zealand, use of the word "kabadi" by Kapali bodies is a recent change and has been controversial.

HELLO MY FRIENDS WHY DONT WE PLAY KABADI ANYMORE?

akabir77 December 13, 2007 03:19 PM

hi hi i have nick on my chin while playing kabadi and falling on to a brick corner when i was two...

ai kabadi kabadi kabadi kabadi kkkaaabbbaaadddiii (last ey doom furay jachey...)

Tigers_eye December 13, 2007 03:28 PM

After losing to Saudi Arabia in water polo (water kabadi) I have given up all hopes in every sports for BD except Cricket. Going back to Cricket forum.

Nocturnal December 13, 2007 04:30 PM

[quote=Tigers_eye;573819]After losing to Saudi Arabia in water polo (water kabadi) I have given up all hopes in every sports for BD except Cricket.[B] Going back to Cricket forum.[/B][/quote]

:lol:

One World December 13, 2007 10:45 PM

I was never able to decipher the norms of "[বাংলা]কুতকুত[/বাংলা]"