facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old September 3, 2004, 12:56 PM
Cricket Legend

what I like about this match is that we did not loose wickets like crazy. Blowers came back and tried to take the match away from Scotland. Initially we had it tilted towards us, then Scots got the control and then BD got back until the last 2 overs, unfortunately in the last over Scots came out as the winner under pressure.

This is not the usual style Bd looses so it was ok for me, when I am one of the harsh critics of BD cricket team.

Edited on, September 3, 2004, 5:57 PM GMT, by allrounder.

Old September 3, 2004, 12:58 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
Quote:
Chacha is still needed in one dayers.
And we needed to lose a match to know the importance of Sujon? Its a shame that most of us don't know who are our important players and who are not.
FW . Please don't be a pedant. We need to rotate our squad. In ideal world, i would like to win all practice matches with few key players having rest here and there. But we certainly have to give exposer to players like Nazmul etc. There is no point to carry them around without any match. They gain nothing , nor does bangladesh cricket.

Look at the brighter side. It''s not Canada history revisited. It's not an ODI! BD never lost to Scotland in an ODI.
C'mon guys. If BD do well in practice matches you guys don't like it. Hope with this shocking experience, losing to Scotland that is, BD will do good in CT. That is our real test.

Edited on, September 3, 2004, 6:00 PM GMT, by Zephaniah.

Edited on, September 3, 2004, 6:10 PM GMT, by Zephaniah.
Reason: you know how it is
Old September 3, 2004, 12:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Just caught up on the thread - what a finish. This is a great game for the Scots and maybe they aren't that far off after all. As for Bangladesh, this just proves that we can lose anytime, anywhere despite posting a good total. I think for Bangladesh it's all mental and not believing they can win.

Are you guys sure Tapash didn't play (saw a post on this page). I thought Tapash was #19 which means he bowled the last over and I think Tareq is 90 - he would have bowled the 49th. Nazmul might be 8.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:00 PM
Retired BC Admin

That was a fantastic practice match. Good practice even for mind games. Nazmul (if he was indeed the last bowler) was tested too. Aziz is known to have his cool in the last overs. The trill and urgency was there to be tested against as well. Couldn't ask for a better practice situation.

For those who are depressed because of the loss, even the big guns do loose in practice matches against much weaker teams more often that we think. It is the practice that matters, not the result. Of course a win is always desirable but it is the plan and its execution that counts in the end for future showdowns.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:03 PM
Street Cricketer

Sorry guys, but this has to be said. You are very negative as a whole to your side. Some of you are blaming your captain and individual bowlers without seeing one bowl bowled in todays match. Give your guys a break.

Now, I also say that your team is a couple of steps above Scotland right now, and yes, you had some key players missing today. Keep in mind also though that Scotland had eligible Ex-England all rounders (Dougie Brown and Gavin Hamilton) missing as well as their best strike bowler (John Blain) and their best up and coming middle order batsman (Kyle Coetzer). All four are contracted to English county sides. Also, our new ball quick from game 1 (Hoffman) was missing. That is half the side missing guys. And yes, who knows what would have happened if all the available players on both sides had played? Maybe the result would have been the same, maybe not.

To be honest, if all the players could play, I would fancy us against you in our conditions most of the time with the reverse being true in Bangladesh

Anyway, good luck in the CT, hope you pull off an upset or two there.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Sad to see Masri not being able to play consistently for the national team because of injuries. Would love to see him as a bowler that world class batsmen play with respect and nervousness.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:04 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
As for Bangladesh, this just proves that we can lose anytime, anywhere despite posting a good total.
.... I thought its true for any team... n not just BD!

any team can lose despite posting good total in a good day!
:duh:
Old September 3, 2004, 01:11 PM
Cricket Legend

I can't see how we can make excuses about the squad not being at full strength. Anyone from a test squad of 14 players should be able to play as a cohesive unit. That's why they are in the team. So the only players who are not on this tour who would have been on the team are Habibul Bashar and Mashrafee, both out to injury. So what, we should be able to win every match with the players who are there, shouldn't we? Having said that, I agree that there are a lot of positives for both sides from today's game (we finally posted a good total and the top order batsment plus Faisal clicked). What's funny is that we are missing Sujon - is that a first??
Old September 3, 2004, 01:14 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
As for Bangladesh, this just proves that we can lose anytime, anywhere despite posting a good total.
Yep.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:16 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
It is the practice that matters, not the result. Of course a win is always desirable but it is the plan and its execution that counts in the end for future showdowns.
I hope Dav speaks the same tune that you're showing.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by bauba30
Sorry guys, but this has to be said. You are very negative as a whole to your side. Some of you are blaming your captain and individual bowlers without seeing one bowl bowled in todays match. Give your guys a break.

Now, I also say that your team is a couple of steps above Scotland right now, and yes, you had some key players missing today. Keep in mind also though that Scotland had eligible Ex-England all rounders (Dougie Brown and Gavin Hamilton) missing as well as their best strike bowler (John Blain) and their best up and coming middle order batsman (Kyle Coetzer). All four are contracted to English county sides. Also, our new ball quick from game 1 (Hoffman) was missing. That is half the side missing guys. And yes, who knows what would have happened if all the available players on both sides had played? Maybe the result would have been the same, maybe not.

To be honest, if all the players could play, I would fancy us against you in our conditions most of the time with the reverse being true in Bangladesh

Anyway, good luck in the CT, hope you pull off an upset or two there.
I'll keep it short and sweet. Not only that our main bowler Tapash didn't play today ( as far as i'm aware), actually Tapash himself would have hard time finding a place in the squad once our real strike bowlers like Mashrafee, Raz, Kapali come back to the squad. But I congratulate Scotland for their excellent win. A win is always a win, even if it is a practice match win. Good luck to Scotland for dubai and ICC Trophy 2005.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:20 PM
Street Cricketer

Yes, the ultimate goal for Scotland is that sometime down the road to be given full ODI Status and to perform well and ultimately defeat a test playing nation has got to auger well for that goal.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:21 PM
Club Cricketer

I'm afraid some on the board made some assumptions about the strength of the Scotland side. Scotland have frightened too many county sides in the NCL. Last weekend they lost by 1 run to Somerset, 7 runs to Worcestershire and by three wickets to Nottinghamshire as amateur players. So a win was going to happen and is frankly overdue. Ireland beat us for the first time in about 10 years this summer in a one dayer and we thumped them by 8 wickets in the three dayer. And we were 0.027 run rate short of playing in the Champions Trophy as well. So we've had a season of near misses really.

So a win is about time. One win each then.

Good luck in the Champions Trophy. Don't worry, I'm sure you've got a successful side to follow. Try not to trash your players. It won't help them.
Old September 3, 2004, 01:33 PM
Cricket Legend

BD players should be criticized for their performace in the 2 matches against Ireland, not for this match.
Old September 3, 2004, 02:30 PM
Club Cricketer

Well I cant say Im really that disappointed by the result, UK conditions are alien to our players. However , you cannot free them from all blame because they are a Test team and are playing against a team that hadnt even made it to the finals of the Six Nations Cup. Lets just hope that bd plays well in the other two matches.
Old September 3, 2004, 02:44 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
However , you cannot free them from all blame because they are a Test team and are playing against a team that hadnt even made it to the finals of the Six Nations Cup.
I presume you mean the Champions Trophy. We were second in the Six Nations by 0.027 of net run rate otherwise we would be joining Bangladesh in that competition. Mind you I think the players are tired after trying to travel and play so much cricket between their work.
Old September 3, 2004, 03:10 PM
Club Cricketer

The scorecard is available, courtesy of Cricket Scotland, if anyone can bear to read it. As a Scotland supporter I know that feeling by the way.

http://www.cricketeurope.org/SCRIPTD...0/001029.shtml
Old September 3, 2004, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Trueblue
The scorecard is available, courtesy of Cricket Scotland, if anyone can bear to read it. As a Scotland supporter I know that feeling by the way.

http://www.cricketeurope.org/SCRIPTD...0/001029.shtml
Thanks. With trepidation, I looked.

I came, I saw, I cried.

Quote:
Tareq Aziz 10 0 61 0 - 3
Tapesh Baisya 10 0 74 1 - 3
This partially explains the loss.
Old September 3, 2004, 03:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Anyone knows about the no call in the last over? Those calls always goes against us........

Overall Bangladesh shouldn't taken this game as a practice match we don't win that many games and more over now the FATHER will start his three tier thing again.....

While i was writing i remembered one thing it was a one day match and any time could have won it....... so no heart feelings and i bet if we play a test or three day with scot we will win even if there county players play as county standard is not that good where asian people win matches for the clubs

Bukey onek agun nibhabo kibhabey
Old September 3, 2004, 03:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

OMG it was Taposh and Tareque. Most of us thought Nazmul. Nazmul survives otherwise he would not be any teram in BC boards. Did not expect this performance from our experienced pair. Whatever I am still in shock cannot believe we failed to defend 260 against Scotland.
Old September 3, 2004, 03:43 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Like Beamer said, things would have certainly gone our way, had tapash played the match.
eh... he did play. 1 for 74 off 10. Now did he bowl the last over?
Old September 3, 2004, 04:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Glad to see rafique back on track. Also, surprise to se aftab and faisal putting up some decent runs in the same match. now is going to be little tough for the selector to decide who to include in the final eleven. anyway, I would pick aftab over fisal anyday.
Old September 3, 2004, 04:31 PM
Cricket Legend

how come we had them bowl 10 overs when they gave so many runs? while spin balling was working more than pace ball, why didnt BD try rajin and ash to bowl some overs and try to make the run gap more. need more experience as a captain I guess.
Old September 3, 2004, 06:40 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Whoever held the nerves in those final overs, won the match. We shouldn't have let this be so close match. We should have defended 260 easily, but I think bowling was wayward, specially from our pacers, except Nazmul. They have let us down.

We lost it due to bad bowling. We can forgive this one, as our bowlers did save us many many times before from utter embarassment. So I will forgive this one.

Lets hope we can click both bowling and batting for the champ trophy where it would really matter.
Old September 3, 2004, 06:46 PM
Street Cricketer

Hi guys, back home now. Sorry about the sporadic updates at times today, it's very hard to follow a match and keep 2 websites informed. I was also on business with some sponsors so didn't want to be rude and ignore them over lunch!

Anyway, it was an exciting match to watch and Bangladesh should have won it with better bowling, but perhaps they sat on their big score and relaxed too much. This was by far Scotland's best batting performance this year, if not in the last 5 years....

Thankyou all for an entertaining day.