PDA

View Full Version : BAN vs KEN - team analysis

bd_cricket
February 26, 2003, 04:07 PM
Now it's time to talk about the team against Ken.

Questions in my mind:

- Should Al Shahriar return in place of Hannan?
- Should Ehsanul return - if yes, then for whom?
- Will Rafique be able to play? (Daily Star reports he had X-ray and there is no fracture).
- Should Alok go back to his original position?
- Big question - should Habibul be dropped again?
- Is Tapash & Monju alright?
- And the batting order.

Tehsin
February 26, 2003, 04:26 PM
No commecnt on bowling as a slept through, as for batting:

Is Rafique injured ? If not great. If yes, then we can bring back both Rokon and Ehsan. The player to be dropped first is SUMON - first choice replacement is Ehsan. Rokon might be able to sneak in for Hannan - I didn't not see any difference between the two. However, if Rafique is injured, Hannan may keep his place as Rokon will replace Rafique.

rafiq
February 26, 2003, 05:48 PM
i thought we could have gotten a few extra runs with more alert running between the wickets and strike rotation. they didn't want to take any chances today but that is something to work on, especially akram. ashraful could have dealt with vettori's spin better.

sumon is unbelievable. he has had successive first ball ducks, no? he has no shame, could have at least waited until the 2nd ball to get out. he is doing this to himself, there is no reason for him to play this poorly. i am really upset that h-fan has changed his name on this board!!

there is a big difference between the way kenya defended against sri lanka and the way we defended our total today. It seemed like the team thought it's 198 was good enough, the work for the day was done. There was no spark in the field. I didn't think pilot knew what to do with his field placements, didn't keep up to the stumps when he should have. the spinners were awful and couldn't turn the ball, sanwar was hideous. obviously not having rafique hurt but i was hoping for a little more fight on the field. that is going to be the big difference with kenya.

i would bring both rokon and ehsanul back. being dropped for one game has helped rokon in the past. we need some intelligent medium pace from ehsanul. and if rokon and ashraful were to open then ehsanul could play down the order. don't know about tapash and talha, they haven't played well at all.

with kenya it is going to boil down to who wants it more. and bangladesh has traditionally been too gutless and lazy to win when everything is on the line.

Tehsin
February 26, 2003, 10:00 PM
Rafiq bhai ... shotto kotha bolte ektuo mukhe laglona ? :)

shahid
February 27, 2003, 07:19 AM
Team should be

Ash
Rokon
Kapali
Sanwar
Seezan
Akram
Pilot
Monju
Mahmud
Tapash
Talha

Shubho
February 27, 2003, 12:41 PM
Why are we even worrying about line ups? All the batsmen are equally pathetic. The best we can do is change the batting order. Bringing Rokon instead of Hannan or Seezan in place of Sumon won't change jack.

bd_cricket
February 27, 2003, 01:09 PM
I think we did a mistake by dropping sumon after the first match. When he got back in the last match against NZ - certainly he felt a big pressure on him for scoring and couldn't bear that and probably will be dropped again. He is the most experienced batsmen (apart from Pilot, Rokon & Akram) in our team. Still I think he is the best batsman we have in our side who is right now not having some problems. I think if we could continue him playing we could have seen good scores from him. just look at what Pakistan is doing - they are keeping their most experienced batsman Inzamam in team all the time even though he performed pretty bad so far - only 23 runs in 4 matches. I think they wont drop him even in the next match against India - they beleive he will get back to his form any time. Just think of any experienced batsmen in Indian team - like Tendulkar or Dravid. Do you think would India drop any of these batsmen from their line-up even if they score consecutive three or four golden ducks. I don't think so. Right now I am feeling that dropping Sumon was not a good idea - even though I also supported that. Who knows - if Sumon were there in any of our 2nd-4th matches - we might not have the early batting collapse.

Again, we giving Sanwar too many chances - he was not dropped at all - but he couldn't prove any good to the team yet.

rafiq
February 27, 2003, 10:56 PM
you may be right, at the end of the day the difference between a 0 and 5 or 9 is exactly 5 or 9.

i would want to see the most experienced team out there against kenya, no matter what their form or who they are.

shahid
February 27, 2003, 11:07 PM
BD has lost 5 ODIs and won only 1 against KEN.

Ehsan
February 27, 2003, 11:21 PM
Shahid bhai y r u forgetting rafique in our line-up.....he's as good bowler as batsman.....u left rafique in the line-up u mentioned above

[Edited on 28-2-2003 by ehsan]

bd_cricket
February 28, 2003, 01:35 PM
I think we shouldn't drop Sumon. It is always very bad if we lose faith on our experienced players. Look at what Gayle is doing right now for WI. He had very poor score in earlier matches - but they didn't drop him and looks like he is taking WI for a win over SL.
I don't think Pak will drop Inzamam tonight against Ind despite his poor form in all previous matches.
As Rafiq said - we want to see the most experienced XI tonight against Ken.

Sham
February 28, 2003, 01:56 PM
Whatever team we pick, they have to play responsibly. Unfortunately, our more experienced players (Rokon, Sumon) have been the most irresponsible! If we play to potential, and play sensibly, we can beat Kenya tonight. But we haven't done that so far.

Shubho is right, changing the team around is unlikely to make much of a difference. Everyone is in wretched form. However, we have 15 players in SA and 11 will have to be picked, so here are mine:

Rokon
Ashraful
Sanwar
Akram
Seezan
Kapali
Rafiq
Mashud
Mahmud
Talha
Monju

bd_cricket