PDA

View Full Version : (Don't) Look Back in Anger

samircreep
March 1, 2003, 10:19 PM
Loving Bangladesh cricket is like having an abusive girlfriend;sure she treats you like ****, but you always find a reason to stick it out.

It's time to put our anger and frustration behind folks(I know it's easier said than done) and put our critical hats on our heads.After all, that is what this panel is for right?So let's use this space for some serious and constructive discussion about the future of our cricket.

Tehsin
March 1, 2003, 11:41 PM
Look how much difference Akram made to the team. There is a big difference between the way he runs the show and the way the others bomb. In top class matches, there are simply no replacements for experience.

Akram showed that, Golla would have done the same and let's not forget Bulbul and Moni. Sure, we would have lost to the big names but to Canada ? NO WAY, To Kenya ? Well, could have been different, kenya is the same class as ours.

Anyways, now that the world cup is over, no point bringing back Bulbul or Moni. Akram can stay with the team for a while and we can bring back Golla. Give Sumon a break, he can use the time to focus on his own problems, whatever they may be.

samircreep
March 1, 2003, 11:47 PM
I agree, but I aslo think that our policy of giving youngsters a break was not a bad idea.We have unearthed kids lik Alok, Talha et al.Surely that augurs well for the future.Alongside Golla and Opee, I would like to see a few other kids being given a chance:Rajin Saleh, Nafiz Iqbal, Mazharul Huq and Shafaq-Al Zubair.Amongst oldies, Akram played with the fluency I haven't sen for a while so he definitle has to stay.I'm still in two minds about the merits of Sanwar,can anyone air his thoughts on that?

But another thing.I think we can safely assume Mohsin has done jack for this team.So who will be the next coach?And more importantly now, the next captain?

Tehsin
March 2, 2003, 12:09 AM
I'd pick Akram but he is too old so - sratch that. However, loved the way he worked with the team. he is a captain who knows how to win, done it before.

Have to put more thought into this.

Love Pilot but he is a fighter, not a general. He plays his heart out but can't get his players to follow him. Also, his filed placements and bowler rotation is simply UGLY.

Player wise, we need to have this players play in the league. Then, after the league is over, pick the best 40 or so, have three teams and have them play against each other.

Love the names you picked, Nafiz has been a good find, with Akram in the family, the boy will have the moral support and great advice.

Mazhar - tremendous talent. If anyone dares to comment on his gut ........ simply, i could care less, he can take apart decent bowling attacks if we let him grow a s a cricketers - ie, replace SANWAR and place him in the team. Give him the kind of opportunity Rokon is getting. Rokon is good, he has the strokes but he needs to be in the winning side to get the confidence back. The way he started, few more overs and he could have made a 30 ball 50 against the weak Kenyan attack. Unfortunately, our players don;t stick around to long.

If we had the same luck as the NERVOUS Kenyan batsmen, 220 would have been easily reached with overs to go. trust me, that's not pride talking, our pride (atleast in cricket) was taken away when we lost to Canada. If you have not seen the match, get a tape, watch the kenyan batsmen (except for Odumbe - even though he was dropped by Tusher) trobles by our bowling. It was a good bowling performance but the worst fielding I've seen in the cup and let's not forget luck.

Rajin Saleh is not as good as Seezan or Tusher. However, he may not have caught on to the fishing technique of the two.

Shafaq bowls some nippy bowls to trouble the bats. He is another Masri in the making. I love Tapash today, he looked venomous. Why did he not get his 10 overs ? Ask pilot.

Sujon saw four catches dropped from his bowling. Otherwise, he could have repeated another Pakistan. Not a surprise that he is out top wicket taker. I am a fan of this guy now. Wish he didn't dance down the wicket like that.

Neeways, wish we didn't have to play Australia this summer, anyone but them (or South Africa).

samircreep
March 2, 2003, 01:20 AM
Actually reinstating Akram as skipper isn't that bad an idea. If we can agree that the future of BD cricket belongs in the hands of youngsters like Kapali and Ash, we need someone strong and mature at the helm, no?Coupled with the fact that there is a serious dearth of any leadership capabilities from any other player in the present team, I would actually consider bringing back Akram, at least in the shorter form of the game.

I actually am a big fan of Rajin Saleh and think he has really good technique, and would like to hear why you differ on this point.As for our cricketers playing domestic cricket, ya sure, it's a good way to get your fitness back in, but I'm pretty convinced now that it's not a good indicator at all to unearth talent we could use at the international level.Look at Ash and Kapali, all underachievers at the domestic level.

But we still need to talk about the coach. I say we try our heart out to get Greenidge back, but I've been hearing some very interesting juice on Woolmer taking over.That would be a godsend.

And we haven't even started talking about infrastructure yet....sigh.

James90
March 2, 2003, 05:54 AM
What about Sujon......records say he's 30-31 but he's probably about 35-36

What do you think?
Maybe Golla?

Sham
March 2, 2003, 12:32 PM
I agree with Samir about Rajin. I've seen him play and he is one of the few BD batsmen who actually have a decent technique. And also, he scores at the domestic level. He should definitely be considered.

Samir, I am not sure I agree about Greenidge though. It just seems to me that the man wants money! After the way he was sacked last time around, few people would want to come back at all. And then to refuse to come because he wasn't happy with the package he was offered suggests that he was coming back for the money in the first place. But yes, Woolmer will be a goodsend!

Tehsin
March 2, 2003, 02:10 PM
No one approached him yet - yes, that's how useless our cricket officials are. maybe it's the price tag but you know what, take the money from the players, they don't need it. Let me rephrase that - they have not done anything to deserve the money.

I want to hear the price though ? Woolmer will be Godsend no doubt, but can we afford such class ?

By the way, I take my comments back on Rajin. I don't know what I was thinking. I saw Tusher and Seezan bat - I don't know why they even play cricket for Bangladesh. They are better off playing for their clubs - that's where there priorities lie.

shahid
March 3, 2003, 06:40 AM
Opee and Golla to Open. Rokon can stay on as 3rd opener. Ash & Alok should be the only youngsters to stay on.

Mohammad
March 3, 2003, 11:33 AM
But Oppy is out for a reason. he wouldn't show up sor practices and even if he did show up he would be an hour or two late. Also, people say that he was a drug addicted person.

samircreep
March 7, 2003, 12:01 AM
I don't think being Greenidge wanting a lot of money or being particular about the financial aspects of his contract is a problem, as long as he is professional and efficient enough to coach a test playing nation, which I think he has proved himself to be.Mind you, Woolmer would probably ask for the same, if not a higher salary.Plus BCB is loaded, whether Lobi wants to admit it or not is a totally different argument all together.

Just another small point.I think we were on the right path on selecting youngsters for this WC.I would rather see kids fail than watch people like Durjoy, Bulbul and Shanto fail for the upteenth time, which I think they would have in this time, although there's obviously no way I could prove it.Yes, the kids have failed this time, but that's not a reason to get the oldies back.I say we stick to our young guns but that does not mean we become conveniently myopic as far as selecting veterans is concerned.My point is this:selection should be based purely on merit but if two players, one a veteran and one a rookie are performing on the same level, I say we select the kid.