PDA

View Full Version : BCB Inquiry Committee

Sham
March 5, 2003, 04:59 PM
Hey folks, happy to report that someone very close to me has been asked by AAL to join the BCB Inquiry Committee to look into a our world cup debacle. This may be our avenue into the BCB, although the person in question has not yet made up his mind about whether to join. He is concerned that internal politics within BCB will mess with their work. Also, he is worried that the recommendations they make will just be put aside once the public outcry simmers down. Anyway, I will keep you guys updated about what happens with that. I am going to try and convince him to join the committee. Also, I am going to ask him to visit this site and read some of the comments, since so many of us have so many good recommendations.

[Edited on 6-3-2003 by Sham]

Tehsin
March 5, 2003, 07:03 PM
Sham, advise your relative/friend to take up the job. He sounds like a non-partisan individual and someone with some sense (not jumping into the situation).

As far as our contribution - fans, media, and players have all been trying to give BCB great advices on how to get us back into top flight, however, they refuse to listen to any reasoning. There are a lot of capable individuals. however, the high ups have turned a deaf ear to everything and everyone.

Sham
March 5, 2003, 08:06 PM
Yes, he is a non-partisan and sensible person Tehsin bhai, but this is the BCB we are talking about, how much sense to do you need to realize that politics will play a part no matter what? Anyway, I hope it all works out. Whatever the inquiry committee recommends can only make things better, the state of our cricket can't possibly get any worse. I just hope that the recommendations materialize.

Tehsin
March 6, 2003, 05:22 PM
Any luck ?

Sham
March 6, 2003, 07:32 PM
Yes! The two-member committee was announced yesterday. Hopefully they will be allowed to go about their job without interference from the BCB.

rafiq
March 6, 2003, 09:50 PM
so is your man the reitired general or the beauracrat per Saber?

Sham
March 7, 2003, 01:56 AM
The ex-beauracrat is my uncle. Saber does have a point about bringing in outsiders. But in their defense, I would say that they are cricket enthusiasts and being from the outside, they have no vested interests.

I actually got my uncle online a while back and had a long chat with him. I have to say, I came away feeling encouraged. Firstly, he told me that Comodre Mujib and he met with both Lobi and the State Minister for Sports and they have promised to give them a free hand. What BCB does with the recommendations is not upto them, but their enquiry will not be interfered with, or so they have been told.

Secondly, I mentioned to my uncle about Saber's comments the other day and Athar Ali's comments today. He told me that he has noted down Saber's ten points and will use them as a point of reference. He also said that they wish to talk to ex cricketers and administrators to get their views. In particular, he mentioned that he will try to get in touch with Syed Ashraful Huq, who might be in Malaysia.

Apparently even the PM's pissed off and wants an urgent enquiry. Lets see what happens.

In the meantime, I told him that I will send him a list of things to consider. If you guys have suggestions, and I know many of you do, please write them in. It would be helpful if you guys could be succinct and organized. That would make it easier for me to put it all together. I get to pick and choose which is important enough to put on, muhahhahaha. No, but I'll try to put all the different aspects, if not all the different points. Get to work Shubho!

[Edited on 7-3-2003 by Sham]

shahid
March 7, 2003, 05:04 AM
Sham,

Is your man someone from BCB ?

Orpheus
March 7, 2003, 05:09 AM
Could you clarify it... I am a bit confused.

but...as you wrote

"I mentioned to my uncle about Saber's comments the other day and Athar Ali's comments today. He told me that he has noted down Saber's ten points and will use them as a point of reference"

Well, send him your first class infastructure article ..... That's 1 of ten taken care of...

Sham
March 7, 2003, 01:00 PM
At first I think they were asked just to conduct an enquiry into our world cup performance. Why the players performed so poorly, why communications were so poor within the team management etc etc. But then they spoke to AAL and they decided that this performance cant be looked at in isolation. So they have now been told to look at all aspects of cricket in BD and submit a report. So they will look at the team itself, the coach, team management, cricket infrastructure, the leagues, the coaching in general, the age level programs, the BCB etc etc. I think they have been asked to give their recommendations within 3 weeks.

Tehsin
March 7, 2003, 09:49 PM
Check your u2u. :)

Sham
March 7, 2003, 10:28 PM
Tehsin bhai, sent you a reply. Shubho, replied to your u2u from a few weeks back. Sorry I didnt read it before.

rafiq
March 8, 2003, 06:53 PM
Sham,

Let's suppose your uncle and the other commodore bloke are the brightest, most competent and earnest people to ever be put on an investigative commission in our god-forsaken country. Even so, how far can and will they go in their recommendations?

You could take a poll on what is the top problem to address. Is it fishing outside the offstump, akram's waistline, tapash's handsome looks, or something else? I think the top problem is the BCB itself, that is full of the most mentally challenged people to be in charge of sport anywhere. Secondly, regardless of how good BCB staff really are, their image and effectiveness is tarnished by their political affiliations. Now everyone is free to have political affiliations, but there is a problem when an MP becomes BCB chief.

Could the commission recommend that no sitting MP be appointed chief of the BCB? That it is a cricket-only professional position. Full time, not a side hobby for Lobby, Saber et al. Start there and the rest will follow - even Tapash will get his teeth straightened out...

It will take real guts for the commission to tell Lobby to quit. I would love to hear your uncle's thoughts on that at some point, I understand he cannot say anything now (or at least he shouldn't)

Sham
March 8, 2003, 07:25 PM
Let me put it this way, they will not mince their words. If they thought that they could not say what they found to be the case, they would not have accepted this task. There is no money it in, and chances are, people will take them apart for what they leave out instead of praising them for what they put in. Its sort of a lose-lose situation for them.

Will they ask Lobi to quit? No. They won't do that. They are not investigating the President of the BCB. They have been asked to look at this world cup in particular and the state of cricket in general. I also can't see them recommending that no sitting MP is put in charge of the BCB. The point is, as long as the Ministry of Sports is in charge of selecting the BCB Chief, they will put on a party person, whether he is an MP or not. So does that really make a difference? I actually support this system of the MOS choosing the BCB President. If you hold elections for that, it would turn into a mess. There would be huge factions within the BCB, if one person got elected, the other faction would be uncooperative, there would be constant backbiting. Just look at the recent BGMEA elections. We dont want that to happen. However, the rest of the board should be democratized and chosen through elections.

You do have a point about a full-time President of the BCB. But they can only recommend that if they find that Lobi was not being able to give adequate time to the BCB. Don't forget, they can only make recommendations on their findinds. They can't just make some sweeping recommendations based on how they feel. Thats unprofessional.

I think we are focusing on Lobi too much. He is a useless sob but he isn't going anywhere. If Lobi is to be removed, the only person who can make that decision is the PM. So if any of you are hoping that Lobi is on his way out, think again. I am more concerned about what is done regarding our cricket. If we get a good first class system, if we get lively pitches to play on, if we get a good coach, if they improve facilities outside Dhaka, if we get a consistent selection policy, would it matter if its Lobi in charge or Saber or anyone else for that matter?

Sham
March 8, 2003, 10:34 PM
Tehsin bhai, check u2u!

Tehsin
March 9, 2003, 02:19 PM
Will they even talk to Pilot about getting some advice from former captains, other coaches about field settings, bowler rotation. We like Pilot, if he can work on those two aspects, we have no problem with Pilot being the captain for a long long time. :)

Nazim Shirazi
March 10, 2003, 05:30 PM
Dear Sham,

I know this gentleman very well. He is a fair man and a no nonsense type of guy.

He had played with us for Ramblers (weekly cricket) in Dhaka. Cesar bhai, (his nick name) was the chairman of the selection committee for the National Team and a good cricketer himself. I believe he has played some decent cricket during the East Pakistan Time.

Commodore Mojibur Rahman was also the chairman of the Shipping Corporation of BD and later an Ambassador to a country in the Middle East or Africa.

I will try to send your article to BCB. I not sure if they will do any thing about it, but we must try. I will also encourage BCB to promote banglacricket.com and make this an official site if at all possible. No harm trying.

When I have more time, I will read your article and give my 2 cents on it.

Excellent job Sham. You seem to be a bright young man and I am impressed by your thoughts on BD cricket as a whole. We need many more Intelligent people like you to change things in BD. Some of you in this board may be young , but understand and actually care about our cricket more than a lot of people I have known in BCB.

I believe that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.

I cannot express how frustrated I get by the way cricket is run in our country. We do have some potential and yet go through so much embarrassment and agony.

Best wishes,
Nazim Shirazi.

"What the mind of man can conceive and believe, the mind of man can achieve"

Sham
March 10, 2003, 10:05 PM
Nazim bhai,

Thank you for the kind words. Please check your u2u.