PDA

View Full Version : BCB in action. Let's have our fingers crossed.

Tehsin
March 12, 2003, 03:52 PM
BCB plans matches for World Cuppers
Sports Reporter

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is planning to hold a practice tournament to prepare the national cricketers ahead of the tri-nation one-day international series to be held in Dhaka next month.
The national cricketers, fresh from their humiliating World Cup campaign, have remained inactive since returning home from South Africa on May 5.

But with the tri-series, that involves world powers South Africa and India, starting on April 11 and a two-Test series against South Africa immediately following, the Board felt that the dejected players needed some cricket under their belts.

"We have sent a proposal asking the Cricket Committee for Dhaka Metropolitan (CCDM) to hold a tournament involving the teams who have qualified for the Super Six phase of the Premier League.

"We plan to distribute the players who were in the World Cup squad in those six teams so that they can have some match-practice. This is the only way they can have some competitive cricket as they are not allowed to take part in the club competitions," said Mahabubul Anam, an advisor of the Board.

"The six teams split into two groups will play in the round robin first phase. Top two finishers from each group will play in the two semifinals followed by a final," he explained.

But the chairman of the BCB's cricket committee said that it would be possible only if the six clubs agreed to play such a tournament smack in the middle of the ongoing Premier League. Provided the clubs agree, then the tournament under the banner of 'President's Cup' could start on March 22 at the end of the first phase of the Premier League.

Anam however said that the tournament would not be treated from a selection point of view only.

"It would give our mentally-shattered national cricketers some much needed opportunity for action ahead of another grueling series of matches."

Anam also revealed that the national team's training camp would be a short one this time and would not start before March 31.

Responding to a question about the future of under-fire coach Mohsin Kamal, Anam said that the fate of the former Pakistan paceman would be decided in the next Board meeting to be held after the March 23 final of the World Cup.

The influential BCB official, who returned from England recently, said that England have confirmed their tour of Bangladesh in October this year.

It was also agreed between the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and BCB that there will be two Tests and three one-day internationals in the series. Apart from those, England will play two three-day matches and a limited-overs practice match during their visit.

Tehsin
March 12, 2003, 03:56 PM
Great to hear that the English will give us some much needed exposure. I wanted them in the super sixes but now will have them in BD.

As for the idea of having the players play in the super league matches in the league. It is all upto the clubs but I would say that we should play OUR OWN PLAYERS instead of he foreign players and I hope the clubs do their bid to help. It's not like that clubs do much in briging out new players and improving our cricket. All they do is exploit the natural talents of the players. They do little in giving them proper guidence, coaching et all.

Sham
March 12, 2003, 04:37 PM
I think its a very good idea to scatter the national team among the six top sides and hold a one-day tournament. Will provide some much needed practice. I know that the Enquiry Committee yesterday told Lobbi that their enquiry should not hold up selection and preparation for the upcoming series against South Africa. So I am happy to see that they have started to think about preparations.

bd_cricket
March 12, 2003, 05:57 PM
What about longer version match practice??

Piranha
March 12, 2003, 06:16 PM
Firstly its great to hear that BCB has finally taken the issue of preparation seriously. Its about time that they did that.

Continually messing with our league structure cannot be any good. Since the structure is bad anyway, i dont see a problem.
But in future, if a league system is scrapped the moment some disaster happens, i dont see our first class teams taking the matches very seriously.
This is another issue that must be looked into.