PDA

View Full Version : Advertisement on channel-7 about BD vs Aus match

AussieBloke
June 14, 2005, 09:49 PM
In australia, channel 7 will provide the live telecast of BD vs Aus match. Last night around 11:45 pm after watching the late nine news as I was flicking through the channels, something caught my eye on channel 7. There was this sentence on the screen (obviously the start of an ad). It said "The following statements do not reflect the views of any commentators or cricketers, living or dead. etc. etc....." So that caught my attention even more. Next scene: an asian guy (obviously dark skinned) is shaking in the dressing room (obviously of fear). There is some background commentary going on..hardly legible. But you can hear the term Australia and Bangladesh clearly. This guy is literally shaking to his boots, sweat pouring down his face as he waits his turn. Then on a cue, he starts putting his gear on. When he finishes, he looks like robocop..with every single inch of his body protected with some sort of armoury. I am calling it armoury because you can hear the metallic clink when he walkes out the door. Then the commentator says that the batsman is about to face Brett Lee. This "all-protected" batsman faces up to the bowler. You could literally see the fear in his eyes. They he is hit flush on the helmet grill by the ball. Next scene: he is sprawled flat on his back over the stumps while the players gather around him. Yes, you guessed it right. he fell on his wickets from the impact and was out hit wicket. And then came the final credits, Aus vs BD live..on channel-7.

I guess this is supposed to be funny and I am supposed to have a laugh about it. The ad says it all, Aus is treating this match as a mismatch and a bloody joke. Even the media has started making fun of us. However for some reason this whole ad irked me and left me fuming. I wish our players were this much mad!

Rubayed
June 14, 2005, 10:05 PM
I'm with u mate, although i havent seen it but judging from what u've said its pissing me off too,,perhaps its meant to be funny but i fail to c any humor in it. Its in a bad taste!

jabbar
June 14, 2005, 10:22 PM
:great:

BD Tigers
June 14, 2005, 10:26 PM
very badd taste..the bengalees living Australia shud call this Channel 7 and protest. only then they will take this add out...:mad:

r56hg
June 14, 2005, 10:51 PM
- Our Day will come ,,, then we will make this kind of FUNNY(!!!!) advertisement

Sauron
June 15, 2005, 12:14 AM
Poor taste indeed.

But protesting the ad will only make that ad appear more effective to those TV station execs - and we don't want that.

Until the day we can fight admirably, we'll have to tolerate all these cr@p.

James90
June 15, 2005, 12:51 AM
I've seen the ad and it is hardly flattering. But if you listen to Sportsworld it's obvious that no-one at channel 7 rates Bangladesh at all so it's hardly suprising. I'll just let our batsmen do the talking. Their actions will speak louder than our words so no point protesting

howzatt!
June 15, 2005, 01:03 AM
a joke is a joke, but this is too much. they've gone too far. i know we are no match for australia, but humiliating us in this way not tolerable. i hope aftab, bashar and ashraful can answer channel 7.

jabbar
June 15, 2005, 01:27 AM
c'mon guys, it was on 11:45, and they're having a bit of fun. Who's gonna care?

Lighten' up guys! Let them have their fun. Who cares. Let's just let the bat and ball do the talking.

Sauron
June 15, 2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by jabbar
Let's just let the bat and ball do the talking.

:up:

roaring tigerz
June 15, 2005, 01:58 AM
mr jabbar....if u had any self respect and pride in your own nation u wudnt feel the same way:mad:

jabbar
June 15, 2005, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by roaring tigerz
mr jabbar....if u had any self respect and pride in your own nation u wudnt feel the same way:mad:

Please don't doubt my pride in my culture and country. Although I am born in Australia, I have a deep love for the country of my origin and her people.

However, I am not a fervant nationalist, and I tend not to take such things to heart. I suggest others in this forum to take a similar attitude. I don't say we should let it go by. The players and fans should "store" it in their memories - and use it as motivation to do well. Bangladesh as a nation and cricket team will earn more resepct if we stop crying like babies whenever we are criticised -but rather take on board the criticism, and extract motivation from it...

:tiger::tiger::tiger:

Edited on, June 15, 2005, 7:06 AM GMT, by jabbar.

Sam
June 15, 2005, 04:39 AM
My stand reflects my signature.

PoorFan
June 15, 2005, 05:43 AM
More they make fun out of TV AD, more BD has chance to answer to it on field. All depends on our players, and I am hopeful that BD will do better than last AUS tour, if not all the matches of the series but couple of them atleast.

AusBang
June 15, 2005, 07:02 AM
C'mon guys, its not about self respect or pride. Its just about catching audience. Obviously they want to make ads that would attract aussies. Might seem insulting to bd ppl but its a business thing after all. The sponsors paying all the money would want some ppl to watch the match atleast.

Even the English media is making fun of the Aussies after their 20-20 loss. So ??? Do the aussies care ? Who gives a damn ? The Poms know they are going to lose big time.

All we need is to put up a good show. N yeah right...let the bat n ball do the talking for us.

:flag:

Baundule
June 15, 2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by PoorFan
More they make fun out of TV AD, more BD has chance to answer to it on field. All depends on our players, and I am hopeful that BD will do better than last AUS tour, if not all the matches of the series but couple of them atleast.

To me, this TV ad has no importance. Well, I don't even think that we need to make an answer with the bat and ball etc. :)

I just want the guys to be matured enough to concentrate on their own games and I believe they are much better than they are performing recently. Well, they have to believe on themselves!!

Edited on, June 15, 2005, 1:13 PM GMT, by Baundule.

Right_Way
June 15, 2005, 08:42 AM
I strongly *think* BCCB can sue channel-7 for this and they have a great chance of winning as well.

Right_Way
June 15, 2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by jabbar
c'mon guys, it was on 11:45, and they're having a bit of fun. Who's gonna care?

Lighten' up guys! Let them have their fun. Who cares. Let's just let the bat and ball do the talking.

This is not a joke actually. You can't just go about defaming other teams national side like that on national TV. Some one has to pay for this.

I have never heard or seen anything like this happenning no matter how big mismatch is in any sports. It would be ok if it was some comedy program like SNL.

Imagine they did that to say Netherlands or USA national cricket team. You think they gonna get away with this? No way hose!

GuruTM
June 15, 2005, 09:26 AM
AussiBloke & all the fans,

I think this is only a simple and mild joke if you look at our performance.

The real humiliation and battering is on the way if our players do not perform. I live in sydney too. I know how the humiliation taste like. Its a shattering pain. The best i hope that our cricketers feel the same in agoony as like every fan out there. They live in Bangladesh so they do not feel the humiliation like us. Only if they knew the pain, they would not let themselves down.

Ahmed_B
June 15, 2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by TeamManager
I live in sydney too. I know how the humiliation taste like. Its a shattering pain. The best i hope that our cricketers feel the same in agoony as like every fan out there. They live in Bangladesh so they do not feel the humiliation like us.
Well.. how do you claim to feel the shame even more than the player who is standing in the middle of the ground and facing all those top class teams and falling to it and then get criticized by everyone?! I don't think that the shame we fans feel out here is even anywhere near to the actual players of the team, the managemnt and the coach! It's just that they are not capable enough to defend it by performance.

BTW... it is also not fair to think that people or players in BD feel any less shame by the humilliation than people living outside the country. Speaking as a often-heartbroken fan from BD here! :cool:

Sauron
June 15, 2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by crickethorizon

BTW... it is also not fair to think that people or players in BD feel any less shame by the humilliation than people living outside the country. Speaking as a often-heartbroken fan from BD here! :cool:

In BD, you have a lot of empathy ... people with the same sense of frustration / shame / heartbreak whatever. But In Australia, you are not amongst your friends (in cricket sense of course). Given how much Indian / Pakistani jokes you have to tolerate in US ... I can only sympathize with what one might go through in Australia, specially when BD is facing Aussies.

I think you missed his point totally.

BanglaCool
June 15, 2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by TeamManager
I live in sydney too. I know how the humiliation taste like. Its a shattering pain. The best i hope that our cricketers feel the same in agoony as like every fan out there. They live in Bangladesh so they do not feel the humiliation like us.
Well.. how do you claim to feel the shame even more than the player who is standing in the middle of the ground and facing all those top class teams and falling to it and then get criticized by everyone?! I don't think that the shame we fans feel out here is even anywhere near to the actual players of the team, the managemnt and the coach! It's just that they are not capable enough to defend it by performance.

Agreed! I guess it's "Team Manager's" attitude- to blame the cricketers for lack of commitment and responsibility.

BanglaCool
June 15, 2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Sauron

In BD, you have a lot of empathy ... people with the same sense of frustration / shame / heartbreak whatever. But In Australia, you are not amongst your friends (in cricket sense of course). Given how much Indian / Pakistani jokes you have to tolerate in US ... I can only sympathize with what one might go through in Australia, specially when BD is facing Aussies.

I think you missed his point totally.
That's because some folks try to equate themselves with the aussies. It's easy to take on australian opponents back home. But in Australia everyone is an Oz, perhaps including you. So, the only way you can create a second identity is by reinforcing that the bangladeshi identity is better. However, that is not the case, hence the dissapointment. It can be mitigated to som degree but accepting it's only a game, and resolving to excel and remember to exhibit the bangladeshi identity.
Everyone has a game to play.

ReckmyBack
June 15, 2005, 02:16 PM
We know that mate but i didn't see the add someone said BD batsmen wearing some hard stuff to face aussie bowlers . Is that true though ?

ReckmyBack
June 15, 2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by AussieBloke
You could literally see the fear in his eyes. They he is hit flush on the helmet grill by the ball. Next scene: he is sprawled flat on his back over the stumps while the players gather around him.

If it's all true then it's !!!!!!!! Caz BD is still last ranking team anyway . But putting someone down like this is not good enough either .

jabbar
June 20, 2005, 08:21 PM
There was also another ad promoting teh ashes tour in England. In the ad, Warney was shown as a convict in 1830 (or smomething), boarding a ship and saying "I'll be back!". Then the time fast-forwards to the present, and he walks into Lord's, with a cricket ball in his hand, saying "I'm back!", whilst some English cricketers were standing before him. The camera then zooms over behind one of the Englishman, and shows in his hands (which are behind his back) a pair of shackles.

It's pretty funny, and could also be pretty insulting to some Australian's. However, Aussies used to be sensitive about their convict heritage, but have since moved on. These jokes just role off their backs.

The no. 1 technique to handle bullying, teasing and name-calling is to just ignore it, and make you point once if you have to. If you carry on like children, then you only add fuel to teh fire.

Besides, Bangladesh just beat Australia in this particular match, so they have definitely shut them up, and I suspect you won't see that ad again :)

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 1:22 AM GMT, by jabbar.

AussieBloke
June 20, 2005, 10:04 PM
Actually the ad was shown on channel 7 again before the BD vs Aus's historic match. But it was a somewhat curtailed version of the original ad that infuriated many ppl. This time the ad just showed fear on the player's eyes and in the next scene showed the player flat on his back over the wickets. I dont know if this is the result of some formal complaints that were lodged with channel 7 or something else.

As to the ad appearing in channel 7 again, I doubt it. Definitely not after our win. Surely they wont make a goose of themselves.

Rabz
June 21, 2005, 02:42 AM
well...the way i see it...

it was more of laid back aussie sense of humor that tryin to insult us...i guess thats their way of life..

u'll only feel insulted if u take it too seriously...

since the game..most of my aussie mates took it very well...they've supportive of our cricket before and even more supporting now...i had one of my mate wishing me all the good luck (even wishing us to win agaisnt his own country) before the match...for the sake of cricket....

aussies have nothing to prove...they are the world champions...and they are also a bit tired of winning i guess...more competitive nations and more competitive games wouldnt hurt anyone....

as far as channel seven is concerned...no wonder they rank below 9 and 10...they are shi!t anyway...

and their commentators ?? that somers guys ( othere commentator) is a complete nutcase...he is simply a bl**dy idiot...

and mcgill...well..enough have been said about him...

let them eat thier own words...

what matterss ???

WE WON !!!

sunny747
June 21, 2005, 03:00 AM
IF a dog comes and bite you, will u bite back the dog???
so just forget it, we morally won anyway....

IanW
June 21, 2005, 03:18 AM
Sunny747,

A moral victory would have been failing to get the target in the last over, but still putting up a much better show than expected.

What happened was an actual victory ;)

Ian Whitchurch