PDA

View Full Version : We need swagger & toughness to win.

Right_Way
June 15, 2005, 11:56 AM
I think the only player in our side who has shown some swagger is Mash. Aftab might be the next one. Who else you think has capability to perform in the highest level? As mentioned in the article, it cannot be coached or learnt.

I thought it was a great article on BBC.

<a href=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4232197.stm>
The girl who is breaking barriers
</a>

The high lights of the article in my opinion,

Sania Mirza's serve won't win any awards for design and her toss is so high you can have a cigarette waiting for it to come down. She is a few biryanis (flavoured rice) heavier that an elite athlete can afford to be and her acceleration on court is more <b>Ford than Ferrari</b>.

But no big deal; this you can teach an 18-year-old.<b> What you can't is chutzpah, and toughness</b>, and Sania Mirza has both. Though when I first saw her, it was hard to believe.

But this is a bolder generation, more likely to shrug off the cloak of intimidation, and it is somewhat apparent in Virender Sehwag's audacity, in Irfan Pathan's cool debut in Australia, in Anju George's resolve in the long jump arena.
<b>
These athletes, and they are a growing tribe, believe they belong.

It's not something learnt from a coach or found in a textbook, but a self-belief that swirls in an individual athletes' mind</b>.
<br>

Right_Way
June 15, 2005, 12:05 PM
This part as well,

<b>
Indian athletes anyway, at least in the past, were known to go a little weak-kneed when confronted by an alien environment.

Raised amid inadequate facilities, poorly travelled, physically out-matched, assisted by inferior coaches, awe followed them on a leash.
</b>
<br>

Sam
June 15, 2005, 12:43 PM
Among the bowlers, I read somewhere that Shafaq Al-Jaber has that type of arrogance. Nazmul might have also a little bit.
In fact, this type of arrogance can be found mostly in the fast bowlers. Best example is Best.

Right_Way
June 15, 2005, 01:33 PM
How about Ponting?

Originally posted by Sam
In fact, this type of arrogance can be found mostly in the fast bowlers..

SS
June 15, 2005, 10:20 PM
We need boot camp training

ReckmyBack
June 15, 2005, 11:43 PM
How come you forget Javed Omar Golla ? I can't think a bd team without him now .

fwullah
June 15, 2005, 11:49 PM
We need swagger & toughness to win.

We need swagger & toughness to BE COMPETITIVE. Win will come if we are competing regularly enough with a bit of luck.

In my opinion, right now what we're doing is being competitive with a bit of luck.