PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone verify this rumor?

TheWatcher
June 15, 2005, 02:50 PM
Can anyone in UK veryfy the folowing rumor?

Janakantha Sports (http://www.dailyjanakantha.com/kn.pdf) says that Worcestershire is trying to hire Whatmore as their director of cricket (the position left by his fellow Aussie Moody). Whatmore is also pretty much pissed off with Bangladesh and considering the offer. BCB is aware of the situation and trying to hire John Wright to fill-up the coaching job.

Edited on, June 15, 2005, 8:00 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

AsifTheManRahman
June 15, 2005, 02:57 PM
i dont think john wright (sp?) is a good choice for us :)

Beamer
June 15, 2005, 02:59 PM
The revolving door of Whatmore rumors still going strong. I have a feeling that he won't last his whole two year term with us.

mahbubH
June 15, 2005, 03:01 PM
Actually after India saga I just don't care about Whatmore anymore.

Bat-PadTogether
June 15, 2005, 03:13 PM
Dave is a good coach.But if our "Ghada players" dont perform we must not blame him.

Rob
June 15, 2005, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't look into it too much, if it isn't on the BBC site it isn't true tends to be the pattern.

ZunaidH
June 15, 2005, 05:01 PM
I say Whatmore leaving isn't the end of the world. If the man is unhappy, he should be relieved. What's the point having a bitter relationship. If he finds a better deal he should go. Perhaps he can help players from Bangladesh to play in the county cricket. I see Whatmore leaving us a win-win situation. I say he's better gone to the UK than to India.

Mahir
June 15, 2005, 05:08 PM
this is pure khichuri by the media in bangladesh this time, trying to involve all these coaches by the likes of john wright, dav whatmore and tom moody who have been involved in contract discussions recently, except wright who's no longer the coach of india anymore... media's just taking advantage of situation!

al
June 15, 2005, 05:14 PM
janakantha has done a great damage to our cricket by publishing this kind of unconfirmed report just before the ist ODI. I really donot like to blame them, but they cannot deny thier foriegn connection (funding-yes from eastern neighbor?). Timing of this news mayl hurt our players' performance(hope not). About the other news, what's so big deal, if prince is being replaced. in my opinion, all, Veteran ex cricketers like him should take turns and serve the board.

Edited on, June 15, 2005, 10:16 PM GMT, by al.

Mahir
June 15, 2005, 05:16 PM
yup, agree with al totally.

vindeshi
June 15, 2005, 06:42 PM
PRINCE has been known at ex-fast leftty bowler but as far as I know he hasen't achieved that kind of fame or experience to be the selector. And even how many Internationa game did he play? Whereas there are so many ex International cricketer sho can replace his position easily.

akabir77
June 15, 2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by vindeshi
PRINCE has been known at ex-fast leftty bowler but as far as I know he hasen't achieved that kind of fame or experience to be the selector. And even how many Internationa game did he play? Whereas there are so many ex International cricketer sho can replace his position easily.

May be u don't know bangladesh cricket that much... thats why u q prince's bowling capability.. may be next you will say raquibul didn't play any Int so he doesn't know anything..

Thing is these guys plyed at the top level when most bd people didn't even knew what cricket is.... and which fast ex bowler you think is better then him, can u name one please...

Edited on, June 16, 2005, 12:12 AM GMT, by akabir77.

m35helal
June 15, 2005, 10:24 PM
Guys leave these rumors in their own way...if not, they make take the focus away from our players ....

James90
June 15, 2005, 11:09 PM
Lets look at this through Whatmore's eyes. He has this huge reputation of making poor teams great, he'd done it before with Sri Lanka and thought it was time for another challenge. If he brought Bangladesh up to test standard then he would delight millions of people and boost his reputation considerably.

Think of Bangladesh cricket as a business. Whatmore bought shares in the compary. He bought when it was at it's lowest right after the World Cup. Bangladesh are a much better team than that performance and they were destined to do better. He established himself in Australia and got to see the potential of some of the players. In Pakistan there was a huge difference. The confidence they gained from Australia was obvious as they thrived in the conditions.

Whatmore feeling pretty good about himself getting praise from everywhere then moved onto England where the wheel started to turn. A top performance in the first test turned into tragety in the one-dayers as the potential stars continued to fail.

The glorious strokeplay of Hannan Sarkar he got to see disappeared. Time went on and they got their first ODI victory in 5 years, people start taking notice again. However the biggest critics quickly point out that it was Zimbabwe at the time of their breakdown, where politics ruled the team and tore it apart. From there it got worse and Whatmore got critisism, people thought he was nothing special, overrated. A decent West Indies series and they are still considerably better than the World Cup. Whatmore leaves the tournament due to personal reasons and has to put his attention to that.

Again the stockmarket falls and Bangladesh have a dismal Asia Cup, followed by an even worse ICC Champions Trophy. The potential is being wasted and Dav finds himself in a hole. People are forgetting the series against Pakistan and the highs they've had under him and start to wonder what in the world Whatmore is doing.

Test status removal becomes loud and clear after another pathetic series against New Zealand. They inconsistancy and immaturity of some of these fine players sees Davenell drop them from the team and breed fresh blood, a desperate move from a depressed coach. India comes and it's time for the experienced to step up.

The shares take another turn around and it starts heading upwards again. Mohammad Ashraful plays one of the finest innings ever seen. Whatmore knew it had it in him and the smile returns as well as new found confidence for the one-day series.

Bangladesh improves again as they go down fighting in game one. Then game 2 and the ex-Victorian batsman has a flooding of emotions. Lead by the youngsters Bangladesh pull off a shock win against India and pictures of Dav screaming in ecstacy are published worldwide. The pendulum has swung and Whatmore's belief in Bangladesh rises again.

Zimbabwe come on what is their biggest series to date. After 5 years of depression and heartache with almost everyone pleading for test status removal, Bangladesh win their first ever test and do it in style. The future of Bangladesh cricket are present again, Enamul Haque Jnr bowls Bangladesh to victory. Test two and Bangladesh fight hard to dig themself out yet another hole and manage to salvage a draw due to another rookie Nafis Iqbal. The future looks bright and Bangladesh fight back yet again to win the one-day series. With star performances coming from Manjural Islam Rana and Aftab Ahmed.

Bangladesh's passion, fighting spirit and determination have been exposed and the hype surrounding Bangladesh's future grows yet again. The toughest critics still say "One victory against an understrength India and they struggled to defeat a second string Zimbabwean team, why should this team have test status".

After this Whatmore's contract expires but he's just seen what Bangladeshi cricket has to offer. Should he hand over the coaching role now what would he have achieved? A series win and a maiden test victory, but he's seen glimses of things to come. He's hooked, Dav loves the thrill and is ready to ride the rollercoaster with the 150 million supporters. Why would he quit? Thing's are going so rosy.

Now after a disappointing England series what must be going through his mind. He took up the role with a great reputation and huge expectations. Now the performance is starting to dip once more. Rumours are that he'll take up a job at Worcestershire but it's nothing new. He's seen the Alok's and Hannan's throw away their careers. Frustrated by the wasted talent but more came through the ranks and produced the goods. Whatmore must be concerned that Nafis, Aftab and the rest of the rookies will suffer the same fate. He continues to be critisised as his team gets humiliated inside 3 days. The players are fluent in a language he knows little of and the captain doesn't listen to his orders. This has all happened before.

One must remember the famous financial saying, "Time in the market, not timing". If Whatmore is to retain his reputation and do the right thing be Bangladesh cricket he will serve out his term and quit when the time is right. Now is not the time and he knows that. Dav Whatmore is a winner.

James90
June 15, 2005, 11:10 PM
That was meant to be a quick reply!!! I just couldn't stop!

Orpheus
June 15, 2005, 11:24 PM
wow james.. Nice writing. But in the middle, it felt as if you were using a lot of sarcasm to put down whatmore. But then I read the last part, then I figured no maybe you ARE somehow supporting Whatmore?? but a good read.. I think you can take this piece and make an article against Whatmore :D to have it published on our front page.

aosaif
June 15, 2005, 11:26 PM
stupid to start bashing watmore coz of some rumours

GuruTM
June 15, 2005, 11:28 PM
I think the rumor is right. Dave is looking for a better carrier in the English counties. Since he considers 90% of the counties are better than Bangladesh.

jabbar
June 15, 2005, 11:35 PM
Sounds like Dav is merely a "gold digger", and is not interested in our "diamond in the rough" team.

shaoun
June 16, 2005, 12:14 AM
dav whatmore has done a great job so far with our team. he wanted to coach india but couldnt. he is under contract with bcb, so i dont think he will be going anywhere. but if he does then we cant do anything, he is a professional and that is his choice. i dont really care about whatmore anymore. after the india incident i am not as big of a fans of whatmore as i was before. but without a doubt we need him. and we need him to stay for another 4 years atleast. in that time i hope we can find some good coach in our own country.