PDA

View Full Version : Unimpressive captaincy from Bashar while Fielding/Bowling!

Ahmed_B
June 16, 2005, 11:22 AM
Lets take a look at Bashar’s sharpness in terms of bowling rotation and fielding placement in the England series. In no other series have these two factors become so vitally important like this one in England.
:cool:
Any special difficulties in this series? What about these?…
#_Batsmen have been scoring poor runs!!
#_Conditions are pretty Alien for each of the bowlers! Pacers absolutely not sure how to take advantage of the ‘English-Conditions’ !
#_Due to the pace-favored conditions BD’s half bowling strength (Spinners) is truncated!!
#_Finally... The English batsmen are pretty much used to playing bowlers who are simply a few steps ahead by pace and seam movement from all the BD bowlers (including Masree). So they are simply playing our pacers with lots of ease.

But what is Bashar doing about it? There simply doesn’t seem to be any plan from his part to trouble the opposition batsmen... either by rotating bowlers or trying to trap them by tricky-fielding placement or attacking fielding. To be frank... there doesn’t seem to be any captain present in the field when BD is bowling/fielding!!! :duh:

All the worries about the ‘English-Conditions’ surely are about protecting our batting line-up... but that worry seems to have taken over the minds of the whole BD team including Bashar that the well-known fight-back that BD put up during fielding/bowling (even while defending pretty low scores) is COMPLETELY GONE!
:-/

Tintin
June 16, 2005, 11:29 AM
>> There simply doesn’t seem to be any plan from his part to trouble the opposition batsmen...

If it is so, it means that no planning has happened off the field also, and Bashar is not the only culprit.

paco
June 16, 2005, 11:52 AM
One word sums up Bashar's captaincy -> "heculiar and hathetic".

He should really've gotten man of the match for being so clueless.

Bat-PadTogether
June 16, 2005, 11:55 AM
Damn Captain!Was laughing while talking with Michael Holding during the MOM ceremoney!Just Rubbish!

:down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down:

Edited on, June 16, 2005, 5:05 PM GMT, by Rajputro.

TheWatcher
June 16, 2005, 12:01 PM
Remember, this is the first time Bashar touring England. He is not supposed to know how to instruct his bowlers to bowl in this conditions and place field according to it. It was someone else's job to instruct the bowlers how to exploit the conditions and tell Bashar how to utilize them. Do I have to say anymore?

yaseer
June 16, 2005, 12:02 PM
Bhaijanera.........bahsar kono great captain na, aita ami mani................kintu bhai, Bashar er pichone laiga ki kono labh ase? Erokom pathetic bowling korle clive loyd, Imran khan, Steve waugh sobaire eksathe captain banaileu ki labh ase???

Ektu bhabeb ajke chacha kemne ball korse?? ki korbe captain bowler erokom paglami kore bouncer dile??

Nazmul, na length thik ase, na line, na ase pace......ki field place korbe, ki attack korbe bhai?

I think give him more time.......time has not yet come to write him off...............

arekta kotha.......other than Pailot (jakey board captain banabe na).....ar keu ki ase captain hower moto amader team e??

Spitfire_x86
June 16, 2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Bat&PadTogether
Damn Captain!Was laughing while talking with Michael Holding during the MOM ceremoney!Just Rubbish!
That laughing part really made me angry. He looked happier than Vaughn after such an embarrassing performance

Edited on, June 16, 2005, 5:32 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: Edit quote

Spitfire_x86
June 16, 2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by yaseer
Bhaijanera.........bahsar kono great captain na, aita ami mani................kintu bhai, Bashar er pichone laiga ki kono labh ase? Erokom pathetic bowling korle clive loyd, Imran khan, Steve waugh sobaire eksathe captain banaileu ki labh ase???

Ektu bhabeb ajke chacha kemne ball korse?? ki korbe captain bowler erokom paglami kore bouncer dile??

Nazmul, na length thik ase, na line, na ase pace......ki field place korbe, ki attack korbe bhai?
Agree with you :up:

fwullah
June 16, 2005, 12:07 PM
I thought Mashud did the captaincy today?

I returned from class after/during the 10th over when Mashrafee was being hit for 3 fours in his over - and so I don't know since when, but I'm pretty sure that Habibul Bashar - our captain was hurt on his finger and had his finger on ice for quite some time.

Besides, why isn't Mashrafee bowling OK? I thought he was a better bowler than this - he seemed like younger brother of ever-regular Mahmud.

bngali1on1
June 16, 2005, 12:10 PM
I would think Mashud should take over captaincy. He has the drive.

I would also suggest Rafique...but....????

bngali1on1
June 16, 2005, 12:14 PM
By the way...what role is Mahmud supposed to play? Was he brought back because he's an expert in the "English CONDITIONS?" Really, what did we think we were going to achieve by bringing him back? He played England 2 years ago and has been absent for a long time since. 2 matches 2 years ago against England doesn't make him an expert in anything. There needs to be consistent team when going against teams like England. Put players on the field who have worked together for a long time (recently).

reyme
June 16, 2005, 01:04 PM
If you give the best set of bowlers Bashar will not know how and when to suse them, he will mess it up. Today, the way Bashar captained the team, I wonder whethere he thinks sensibly or thinks anything at all as the game progress. Pacers were getting hammered, and he still let them bowl. Rafiq should have brought after 8 overs, as Nazmul was falling apart, but no he kept him bowling. It cost the team a lot, England openers whacked them all over the filed. and got a confidence sky high by the time Rafiq was there. Surely Rafiq is not in the best of forms, and at that situation any bowlers would be smacked, but some prudent bowling changes could have delayed the inevitable at least by 8-10 more overs.

Today, Bashar's captainly definitely was the lowlight of BD fielding. During the second test match the commentators were questioning his captaincy capability. Someone said he just stands there and let things happen. He meant if you just stand there why a team even need a captain.

And yes, off the field planner Dav and company are not doing anything either, they are just sitting there and only GOD knows what they are thinking. Man only if these sets of managment were coaching a team in US baseball or something.....they will be kicked out for good from the team in a second. Just pathtic planning and worse application of a plan, if there was ever any.

bngali1on1
June 16, 2005, 01:19 PM
It's a real PISSER when Habibul just stands there lazily with his arms crossed. Sometimes, all he's doing is picking his fingers. He has the same level of enthusiasm when he's at press events. What's up with that? He doesn't seem to like the job too much...and not upbeat enough to make improvements.

But then again, their coach always tells them that they don't have to win!!! When nothing matters and you're not fighting to win, you might as well just cross your arms and just "hang out".

oracle
June 16, 2005, 01:21 PM
i have some serious issues with his field placements- especially at slip. He is'nt dynamic enough to me liking and i really thought it was an aspect of captaincy he could rectify easily.

havind said that our team is pretty good on the field. Ash did,nt look too bad even though he flopped in batting.

Edited on, June 16, 2005, 6:22 PM GMT, by oracle.

tarifmahmud
June 16, 2005, 04:15 PM
There is some technical problem in Bashar\'s captaincy. When the ballers are being hammered he keeps on using the same baller. As he has got more balling options like Ashraful, he never tries him. There is no harm trying different ballers, as they are getting punished anyway.
I think he should use four ballers at a time to make the batsman nervous.
Balling change could do something for us, hopefully!:-/

Edited on, June 16, 2005, 11:41 PM GMT, by razabq.
Reason: ballers mean something entirely different

reverse_swing
June 16, 2005, 04:18 PM
ballers:-/

m35helal
June 16, 2005, 04:28 PM
Bashar does it random as he is a unique hybrid of stupidity and intelligence.....

cricman
June 16, 2005, 04:31 PM
I think the only reason he's reluctant cause he did bowl 10 overs in a game once. i think he only gave up 46 runs,.

Fazal
June 16, 2005, 04:37 PM
<b>Bashar should try changing ballers ! </b>

Bashar already lost 3 balls (out of team's 22). I guess at that point he stoped fooling around with (I mean keep changing them).

Edited on, June 16, 2005, 9:54 PM GMT, by Fazal.

al
June 16, 2005, 04:50 PM
he is too mellow at times. he needs to cheer up and cheer other guys too.

babubangla
June 16, 2005, 05:22 PM
I think Bashar does not enjoy bowling/fielding at all. He just want to get it over with as quickly as possible.
Changing bowlers means changing the field setting--it's a waste of time. :lol:

Rubu
June 16, 2005, 07:19 PM
I did not like bashar's bowling change at all today. When Nazmul was getting thrashed at one end and mashrafee keeping it tight on the other, he did not do anything about it. he went for the conventional time for bowling change. true, chacha did a terrible job today, but bashar had no way to know that, and he should have been bringing him in earlier and take off nazmul. Again, he had aftab, who did not bowl bad at all, but got the chance at the end. what was wrong with bring him in earlier? how about ash? if he was given a chance would he do any worse? i doubt that.

also, his fielding positioning was criticized by the comms today a lot.

he sucks as a captain, specially when it comes to winning toss.

m35helal
June 16, 2005, 07:26 PM
Bashar does it random as he is a unique hybrid of stupidity and intelligence..

AussieBloke
June 16, 2005, 08:24 PM
Bashar is captain by default, since no one is there to take up the job. He is also timid and a conservative captain with very little imagination. He sticks to the strategy he devised before the game. Kind of like Inzamam when he started as captain. However in the case of Bashar, he hardly likes to change his game plan. Maybe the coach should have coached him about bowler rotation and field placing. yes, since Dav's been telling them everything, why not give a half hour talk to him about rotation and field placing? I think Pilot needs to get more involved and not leave everything to Bashar.

James90
June 16, 2005, 09:08 PM
The worst thing about Bashar's captaincy was that he had no idea where to put the field, he eventually ended up jus moving fielders to where the previous ball went and the result was a complete mauling.

al Furqaan
June 16, 2005, 09:11 PM
yea...we should not have given up that many runs...even if we bowled terribly, we shouldnt let ppl score at over 8 an over in ODI

Mahir
June 16, 2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by al Furqaan
we shouldnt let ppl score at over 8 an over in ODI

ppl ? no they dont like being labelled as ordinary "people". Man, you should say, the English pommies and Aussie kangaroos! :P

Ahmed_B
June 16, 2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by m35helal
Bashar does it random as he is a unique hybrid of stupidity and intelligence..
:D... very intelligent comment!!

OK... threads merged...
(two different threads on same topic)

sasharif
June 17, 2005, 05:19 AM
Bashar is a good batsman in BD standard, altahough he is very irresposible and a slow learner. However, I feel he is the worst captain BD ever produced. He is very old fashioned orthodox, not innovative, and more over very introvert and not assertive. These does not fit with the profile of a captain. The captain of an underdog team should be aggrasive, extrovert, innovative and unorhtodox. give this team, coach and support to Mashud - he will do a better job. He is the only man in this team capable of captancy.

Sorry
June 17, 2005, 06:17 AM
it seems everybody is having a go at bashar but the reality is that we have a overall poor team that can not be matched with england and australia. not a single player would even make an england A or australia A team. on the other hand margin of the defeat would not have been that big if we had played in bd condition.
we have to understand our limitation and maximise individual performance. without putting 250+ runs on the board, we should not expect anything other than being thrashed.
one thing for sure if we score 250+ , any opposition will show some respect to our bowlers.
the problem is not our bowling, it is our batting. even australian bowlers got hammered against somerset in their opening stand for 200+. never mind bd bowlers.
it could happen to anyone in a particular day.

Beamer
June 17, 2005, 11:44 AM
The problem with Bashar is he is immune to any changes. We have all discussed in lengths about his reluctance to do anything different as situation demands. He sticks to his pre-match plan and refuses to do anything different. Even if you fail, a capatin must be pro-active and set fields according to the strength and weakness of the batsmen involved. One might say that our bowlers are not good enough to trouble the batsmen by exploiting their weakness. But one still has to try. More important for us is to appoint a highly rated bowling coach. I don't thnik our bowlers get as much attention from the coaches as the batsmen do. I have never seen our bowlers in this series to try something different, like say coming around the wkt to change the angle of attack. It may go without any rewards but you still have to try.

chinaman
June 17, 2005, 12:27 PM
I found Bashar to be a safe skiper than an inspirational one. He follows a basic script and stick to it till the end. He is not the kind who will be willing to give the ball to Javed for the last over ever.

Experimentation is not one of his favorite words. But by playing it safe, many a times he can avoid unnecessary harsh criticism. Besides, he doesn't have "safer" alternatives to try on every now and then.

The bigger dillema is, when you have only 190 runs to defend, it is difficult to motivate the bowlers to give anything extra. Then again, there are great captains who can bring out more than 100% from any player anytime by their sheer inspirational spirit. They have the guts to tell their men "listen up guys, we can pull this one off, I know we can, we did it before, we can do it again, let's show them what are we made of."

Bashar is just not that kind. Someone said, great leaders are not made, there are born.

Rubu
June 17, 2005, 12:37 PM
Agree CM vai.

but the problem is, non-experiment would save him from harsh criticism, but a good captain should not be scared of what the media will say latter on. A good captain has to be making decision "on demand" on the unique situation in the field. there can't be any script possible to handle every situation in the field. and if there is, why do u need a captain? ask each player to read it and then do your part in the script (like a stage theatre). he need to learn how to gamble inside a measured risk (he gambles with his shot selection way to much, why so affriad of gambling with captency?) and make decision on based on the situation not by the book.

Sorry
June 17, 2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by chinaman
I found Bashar to be a safe skiper than an inspirational one. He follows a basic script and stick to it till the end. He is not the kind who will be willing to give the ball to Javed for the last over ever.

Experimentation is not one of his favorite words. But by playing it safe, many a times he can avoid unnecessary harsh criticism. Besides, he doesn't have "safer" alternatives to try on every now and then.

The bigger dillema is, when you have only 190 runs to defend, it is difficult to motivate the bowlers to give anything extra. Then again, there are great captains who can bring out more than 100% from any player anytime by their sheer inspirational spirit. They have the guts to tell their men "listen up guys, we can pull this one off, I know we can, we did it before, we can do it again, let's show them what are we made of."

Bashar is just not that kind. Someone said, great leaders are not made, there are born.
its possible to cause 1 or 2 upset with fighting spirit and motivation but you can not make any deeper impact with that if you don't have the quality.
its like a sending a brave army brigade into the war without any arms who will die bravely.