PDA

View Full Version : The toppling of the greatest giant of all

chinaman
June 18, 2005, 02:58 PM
The Wisden Verdict by Andrew Miller

"The bigger they come the harder they fall" is a cliché that has been doing the rounds since the days of a certain shepherd-boy and his slingshot, but never in the history of international cricket has there been a greater giant-slaying act than the one just witnessed at Sophia Gardens.

The magnitude of the heist that Bangladesh have just pulled off simply beggars belief. If they fail to score another run or take another wicket on the entire tour, it will not matter one iota. They have achieved more in a single game than they could ever have hoped to achieve in the entire competition, and in doing so, they have secured the respect of the international cricket world. Respect. It's all the nation has ever been looking for. Today they achieved that aim in spades. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of their lives.

Source: cricinfo >> (http://content.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/211413.html)

Suddenly, I feel like I can die a happy man.

PoorFan
June 18, 2005, 03:05 PM
...they have secured the respect of the international cricket world. Respect. It's all the nation has ever been looking for.
That's the desire of whole Bangladesh cricket & fan as well as Bangladesh. Thank's to Andrew Miller again.

Rubu
June 18, 2005, 03:30 PM
Andrew you have always been so nice. and have supported us in our hard days through your writing which went backward of the journalist's flow. its a day to gloat. for you and for us. i guess now you don't have to risk your career anymore trying to support the tigers.

Sham
June 18, 2005, 03:34 PM
The thing is, writing this was easy for Andrew, because we gave him something to write about, and of course, the Aussies getting beaten by anybody is a happy day for an Englishman.

But, what I find amazing about Andrew (and the reason why I respect him as a cricket writer) is that even when we play poorly, he can be good to us without sounding patronizing. You would think, when a team gets bowled out for 108, it would be almost impossible to be kind without being patronizing, but he does it so well by saying it like it is and putting things in perspective.

Anyway, keep it up my friend, and I hope we give you some more opportunities to write good things about Bangladesh cricket without having to explain yourself for it.

bdbazar_com
June 18, 2005, 03:59 PM
Andrew has been always nice to us. Also this might be a new era of world cricket. I remember late 90's when WI started loosing..

Akib
June 18, 2005, 05:28 PM
I think i made a topic on this... must have been deleted.. anyways this is a good article...

BangladeshFan
June 18, 2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by bdbazar_com
Andrew has been always nice to us. Also this might be a new era of world cricket. I remember late 90's when WI started loosing..

i think WI lost it in 80s. Even in 92 WC they were not a force to be recokoned with, maybe in tests but not one dayers. that time australia, england, pakistan were on top of ODI cricket. this defeat wont make Aus a bad side suddenly but on current form england is better than them i think.