PDA

View Full Version : Ponting should have been man of the match

Ganesh
June 18, 2005, 05:01 PM
With due respect to Ashraful's 100, it was Pontings 1 of 16 balls and wonderful captaincy that helped Bangladesh the most. What inspiring fielding by his team. Well done BD.

rafiq
June 18, 2005, 05:04 PM
that's a pretty dumb comment. lots of captain's make the wrong call on batting first. at least he didn't decide to call off the attack by removing close in fielders like our captain did. YOU need to respect what Bangaldesh did here today a LOT more than your comment indicates.

Ganesh
June 18, 2005, 05:06 PM
That was just a sarcastic remark in case you didn't realize. I was among the first to congratulate BD. But I was just poking fun at Ponting as I don't like his haughty attitude.

feisal
June 18, 2005, 05:09 PM
i do not get you.. can u please explain..

what ever i have understood, it does not make much sense to me..

By the way can claim that i have seen/followed many many one dayers.. since this format of the game has been introduced.... and have seen the introduction of sunglass, slower ball, introduction of fielding restrictions, introduction of pinch hitter, and introduction of three spells of the bolers (initially it was two), and seen some good and bad captains and read/glimped about the great captains. so please ellaborate under this specific light..

on face validity it is a back handed compliment..

feisal
June 18, 2005, 05:13 PM
also, i can give u some famous toss/bad decision examples...

but this one by ponting will NOT qualify to be a classic mistake..

Ganesh
June 18, 2005, 05:14 PM
[i]..
on face validity it is a back handed compliment..

No it is not. It was a poke at Ponting's condescending attitude in general. That is all. Why should Ponting overall utterly listless performance take away BD's great showing?

bdbazar_com
June 18, 2005, 05:14 PM
Lets not take any credit out of Bd team, they outplayed Aussies

Ganesh
June 18, 2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by feisal
also, i can give u some famous toss/bad decision examples...

I didn't talk about the toss. I was talking about 1 of 16 balls, his field set ups and his team's poor fielding. Toss is something I don't make any remark. In any case, you have misunderstood the point of my post.

Ganesh
June 18, 2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by bdbazar_com
Lets not take any credit out of Bd team, they outplayed Aussies

Never implied that. Surely BD played a very professional stuff today.

feisal
June 18, 2005, 05:17 PM
mr. ganesh,

ok.. i take your word...

i personally, i feel that as a error of judgment, if anything....

reminds me of the last word cup final, not sure though what was the reason..

anyway, cheers and i am happy that iyour comment was not a back handed compliment..

Ganesh
June 18, 2005, 05:20 PM

Nothing to do with last world cup final. It is just that I think Ponting inherited a great side shaped by Waughs, Taylor, Border. He is not in the same league as above mentioned blokes as captain. Most importantly he is _not_ a gentleman which prompted the post.

Take it easy.

TheWatcher
June 18, 2005, 05:25 PM
I also don't have any intention to take away any credit from our team, but Ponting can run for the worst field captain of the series along with Bashar. The way Ponting was expressing his anger on the field was even irritating to me.

ReckmyBack
June 18, 2005, 05:34 PM
I will give "Glen Mcgrath" 100 points for the man of the match . This guy didn't have any wicket , unbelievable also , Adam Gillchrist he got duck . That's great isn't !!! Now the anger will come on England to score a huge total . Good Luck England .

sadat_04
June 18, 2005, 05:42 PM
why u guys think it was a bad decision to bat first?
Ponting did the right thing and I think he was thinking the following.
1. Aussies lost two matches
2. Aussies need more batting practice before the match and if Bangladesh bats first, they will probably have to chase a small target.
Batting first was the right choice for the overall good for the team but they never dreamed that we could pull off such a victory.
I feel so proud today..................:fanflag:

BangladeshFan
June 18, 2005, 05:50 PM
ponting was just taking his time after losing gilchrist early. 1 off 16 was not bad, he has the ability to accelerate when set. also batting first is not that bad a decision, Bd bowlers bowled well in the opening overs, masri and tapash were superb in first spell.

TheWatcher
June 18, 2005, 05:53 PM
Just want to add that complecency is not good for anyone, Ponting should have listened to Tresco.

cricfanz
June 18, 2005, 10:26 PM
i dunno whether that look is normal when ponting is batting, but he looked so bewildered when he was facing mashrafe...haha...the "what-the-hell-is-going-on?!" look..

cricket_pagla
June 18, 2005, 10:53 PM
:lol::lol::lol:.. it may sound absurd!.. but i'll go for... Gilly...;)

battye
June 18, 2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Ganesh It is just that I think Ponting inherited a great side shaped by Waughs, Taylor, Border. He is not in the same league as above mentioned blokes as captain.

Agreed

Canada_R
June 18, 2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Ganesh

Nothing to do with last world cup final. It is just that I think Ponting inherited a great side shaped by Waughs, Taylor, Border. He is not in the same league as above mentioned blokes as captain. Most importantly he is _not_ a gentleman which prompted the post.

Take it easy.

Ganesh,

Nothing against you, but this is the same Ricky Ponting who led this team to become one of the best in world cricket history. His team has been number 1 for the last who knows for how long. All day long he had to sweat and talk to his bowlers and adjust field to stop the great display of batting from the Tigers. His manners might not be close to Allan Border's, but he is a very good captain no doubt. And also winning the toss and deciding to bat first may not be the right decision but not a major blunder either.

Bangladesh played very good cricket today and thats why they are the winning team. Bottomline... They outplayed the Champs today! Well done Bangladesh Cricket Team. Super Super Job!

And "Bangladeshlive" great job too....Thanks.
:flag:

akabir77
June 18, 2005, 11:52 PM
even though most of the world is happy for our win (Australians included) looks like some indians have some other issue with the win... (except DJ and some others)

Look hard and you will find a lot more logical reason for the bd win then the simple reason that played better than aussis and bd is capable of that. Let me help you finding some of those reasons...

1.Pointing didn't went to the bathroom in the morning
2.Aus thought today was sunday and they prepared with england questions (like getting prepared for bangla exam and finding its a math exam)
3. Most of the indian's didnt pray right...

add on

ReckmyBack
June 19, 2005, 12:10 AM
Ponting is the best captain in the world and who has got more winning ratio than any other captain in the world of recent times . Before you guys talk , you should think about his ability in test matches Ponting's avg 90+ in last year and how you guys forgot that "Tsunami Match" he played in Melbourne and got that man of the match award , that was against far better bowling attack than BD attacks you know.

Edited on, June 19, 2005, 5:12 AM GMT, by ReckmyBack.

CTazim
June 19, 2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Ganesh
That was just a sarcastic remark in case you didn't realize. I was among the first to congratulate BD. But I was just poking fun at Ponting as I don't like his haughty attitude.

Ganesh we understand the sarcasm!! So stop being so God DAMNED CONDESCENDING. A simple congratulation would have sufficed. Your comment came across as Ponting's stupidity and not BD's ability that helped BD win the match, so, no need to defend yourself with the saying "I was one of the first to congratulate Bangladesh", no need to be defensive.. Your intention is very well understood. :mad:

At least we didn't need spin friendly pitches to record a win! There is a saying in hindi/urdu: "AKKAL MANDKAY LEEYE ISHARAI KAAFI HAI", I hope you catch my drift ;)

islam
June 19, 2005, 12:19 AM
Ponting has never been good at the start of his innings, to bad not many teams take advantage of it. Bangladesh should be now looking to knock of a better team in england and hopefuly make the finals-that would be huge for the nation and would be a good launching base for the next WC in the West Indies, were we have a few dud teams in our group (pakistan, Qulifier, Sri lanka).

AsifTheManRahman
June 19, 2005, 12:25 AM
hehe...Ganesh mia u've just got yourself into a bad mess here...lol...

this is truly entertaining...lololol

today's scapegoat - Ganesh (oh and according to some on this thread - India as a whole...i miss mb444!!!). :P

howzatt!
June 19, 2005, 03:08 AM
some ppl are just jelous and they can't help it. better not pay attention to them.

BanCricFan
June 19, 2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
hehe...Ganesh mia u've just got yourself into a bad mess here...lol...

this is truly entertaining...lololol

today's scapegoat - Ganesh (oh and according to some on this thread - India as a whole...i miss mb444!!!). :P

I like to give Ganesh the benefit of doubt and we really shud chill sometimes. No need for such strong reactions!!:fanflag::bravo:

Ganesh
June 19, 2005, 09:26 AM
[i]Ganesh,

Nothing against you, but this is the same Ricky Ponting who led this team to become one of the best in world cricket history. His team has been number 1 for the last who knows for how long.
:flag:

He didn't have to sweat as much as few others like Waugh, Warne, McGrath, Taylor, Border. Ponting though a very good bat has been way too cokcy. If he played for a weaker side, his record would take a lot of beating.