PDA

View Full Version : Your point of view about Bashar`s captaincy!

Lovely_cr
June 20, 2005, 06:09 AM
What do you guys think about Bashar`s captaincy?

My personal view is he isnít quite good, which we have seen several times. His way of setting fields and using bowlers deserves critics. He is always stuck with the same philosophy instead of changing things and putting the batsmen under pressure.

But the more important question: Do you have a better alternative then Bashar?:duh::duh::duh:

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 10:19 PM GMT, by Lovely_cr.

Locutus
June 20, 2005, 06:45 AM
Actually some of the people here in this forum were trying replace his captaincy after losing 1st test against England.
I say lets just not talk about captaincy. Some days the captain will do good and bad the another day. All I know that you won't find a better captain than Basher in Bangladesh.

Spitfire_x86
June 20, 2005, 07:47 AM
I don't think Bashar is a good capttain, but at this moment there's no alternative.

BTW, I read this in today's Prothom Alo

http://img39.echo.cx/img39/9790/bashar5qy.png

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 6:22 AM GMT, by razabq.
Reason: fixed img width to match table

sadat_04
June 20, 2005, 08:28 AM
Bashar is the "by default" captain. He always plays by the book and thats why he will never be any good with his captaincy. As a player he is quite good but captaincy is different, and many people don't understand that. We have to wait few years until one of our young boys mature up..
:(

Bat-PadTogether
June 20, 2005, 08:31 AM
His field placings when ever a wicket falls is just poor.He can be much more aggresive in setting his field.I think every body listned about his captaincy during the test matches and just concluded 2 Nat west
matches!

paco
June 20, 2005, 09:07 AM
I posted a message during the first half of the BD-Aus match calling him an idiot, which generated a lot of buzz (both people agreeing and disagreeing with me).

A good captain works with the batting order, sets the batting and fielding strategy, and adjusts based on the situation. Bashar seems unable to do any of that. It was quite apparent that after getting thrashed by England, he went in to the Aus match thinking "I'm going set a defensive field today and restrict some runs" - and that's what he did - even though we were on top and in a position to apply some pressure. He never reacts to the situation, but goes in with a preconceived plan.

And about being the winningest captain, i don't think full credit goes to Bashar. It's a combination of good fielding and batting by the individual players that have resulted in most of these wins.

Zobair
June 20, 2005, 09:15 AM
I think he is a decent captain these days and he has improved a lot. He now talks to his bowlers and encourages them as they walk back to the top of their bowling run-up and his field placements are not as bad as some make them out to be. In the Australia match in particular, everyone is criticising him for setting very defensive fields against Martyn and Clarke. But I think that may have been a pretty shrewd move on Bashar's part especially since this was an ODI. To be honest, our bowlers are much more comfortable bowling to right-handers than to left-handers. Once the initial overs for Masri and Tapash were over, we simply didnot have the firepower to bowl at left-handers. Since Martyn and Clarke seemed pretty satisfied with around 3-4 runs an over Bashar was an opportunity to go quickly through the overs using up Rafique and Aftab's quotas for comparatively very cheap runs. On the other hand if either of Martyn or Clarke would have gone early, we would have a left-e-rightie combination if if both went, then leftie-leftie combination. There was a good chance we would have been taken for more runs in those middle overs since a leftie would have been much for comfortable with rafique's SLA and Aftab's gentle pace (which may well have been misdirected for a leftie due to his inexperience. Instead just the 2 4s were scored by Martyn and Clarke in the 16-40 over period.

Besides, a captain has both on-field and off-field duties. Bashar commands the respect of his men and they are ready to give their best for him. One can see the strong bond that exists between the players and some of the credit must go to a captain who never hesitates to generously praise his junior players and entrust them with responsibilities.

thecoolestleo
June 20, 2005, 09:15 AM
he is not a good captain for sure ..but who will replace him????...just wait and see...once Aftab, Mashrafee or Nafis will have the maturity we can talk about then...now its waste of time

Cricket46
June 20, 2005, 12:22 PM
I think it is very easy to say that Bashar is a defensive captain. But people do not realize that as the captain of a weak team it is never advisable to be too aggressive. I know at some points it seemed he should have had an extra slip fielder when there was only one.

Also he does not try too much with bowling changes when things are not working. That to me, is his main problem. As we start to win more games, whoever is the captain will be aggresive on the field.

Mahmood
June 20, 2005, 12:23 PM
Anyday I will take a so so captain who performs over a great captain who can not perform.

Bashar leads his team by example and he is our current best choice. Untill we have a better choice, I will not whine and moan about his field placement, batting order or bowler rotation.

AsifTheManRahman
June 20, 2005, 12:26 PM
i dont have too many complaints. he's learning as a captain - let him do that. after all, we're winning, and he does lead from the front with his briliant strokeplay. so i don't really care.

let's not forget that he is leading a very weak and young team here - things are not always easy for him.

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 5:26 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

bop
June 20, 2005, 12:28 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
I don't think Bashar is a good capttain, but at this moment there's no alternative.

i agree with you .. Bashe is not the best .. but who else can do his job?

TheWatcher
June 20, 2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by pompous
Bashar commands the respect of his men and they are ready to give their best for him.
This is the positive aspect of Bashar's captaincy. But unfortunately he does not make the best use of it. For example, when our bowlers get hammered by opposition batters, Bashar just looks hapless. It would be better if he keeps his composure and walks to the bowler, encourage/pressure him to bring out his best.

Also, I never see Bashar consulting field placement with bowlers. Our bowlers may be too young and inexperienced to set-up their own field, but, at least Taposh and Masri, need to learn to do that, to use it to their advantage.

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 5:43 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

BanCricFan
June 20, 2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Rajputro
Anyday I will take a so so captain who performs over a great captain who can not perform.

Bashar leads his team by example and he is our current best choice. Untill we have a better choice, I will not whine and moan about his field placement, batting order or bowler rotation.

Bashar leads his team by example!!!

Absolute Irresponsible pull and hook which defies believe,
hardly talks to any of his (inexperience) bowlers when they are smashed all over the park,
curious field setting, his frequent clumsy misfieldings are not leading by example, at least, in my book!

Having said that, we dont really have a better choice than him at present except khaled Masud.

LateCut
June 20, 2005, 12:50 PM
There was a posting by Coach McInnes on another thread where he basically said you have to play to win. Meaning that you have to take chances against a superior team s when situation permits. Otherwise you could just name the namer of runs you are going to loose by and just don't bother to play.

Basher does not take risks. His biggest weakness is in field placement. If he is going to let oppostion score 200 odd runs wout a loss what good is it to have a defensive field placement? I do not think that anaybody failed to notice that a numerous times the ball squirted pass the emplty slip when there was lot of pressure on the unsettled Australian batsmen. This game could have easily gone out of BDs hand due to this lack of aggresiveness. Thank God for some good batting (including that of Basher's). Why does not he use part time bowlers when frontliners are being frustated. When is the last time Ashrful bowled?

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 5:53 PM GMT, by LateCut.

paco
June 20, 2005, 12:53 PM
I agree completely. In an ODI there is no respectable draw, so what's the worst that can happen if you take a few risks - we'd lose ? Well, don't we lose all the time anyways ?

capslock
June 20, 2005, 12:58 PM
Bashar is a good player, a good batsmen, but he is not a good captain.

TheWatcher
June 20, 2005, 01:08 PM
One thing I want point out is that Bashar is an ultra-defensive captain may be because DW wants him to be that way.

Remember the second Test draw against Zimbabwe, I still think we had a good chance to win that match. But to DW, the draw was better than a fighting win!!!

Also, it was DW who ruled out any chance of upset at the beginning of NatWest series.

akabir77
June 20, 2005, 01:35 PM
i think we don't need to change the captain now.

but most defenately he needs to improve on that. His captaining during the aus-bd match was very poor..

Even thougg we got most of the win under him but which one other than the last he performed very well?

I give him 100 points for the last batting cause batted exactly the captain should bat at that point and that's why i think he needs to get some pointers from somebody. He pissed me off when he didn't had close fielders for the new batsmen. If we have lost the game the main reason wholud be that one too.

One more thing even though our paper people r saying ash played a briliantly i think he was also very lucky.... I don't know why he had to play reverse swip for one run when getting out with shot has 85% chance and he took a single giving pointing a chance to run him out... He played great but it wasn't flaw less and in another day he could have gotten out easly.

so is rafiq taking that last run. If gilcrist hit the stumps (which he does more then 50% time) bd would have new batsman facing the bowler and aftab would have been in the other end. Bd management should think about these little stuff and try to correct them..

Sorry
June 20, 2005, 02:58 PM
I think he is a decent captain these days and he has improved a lot. He now talks to his bowlers and encourages them as they walk back to the top of their bowling run-up and his field placements are not as bad as some make them out to be. In the Australia match in particular, everyone is criticising him for setting very defensive fields against Martyn and Clarke. But I think that may have been a pretty shrewd move on Bashar's part especially since this was an ODI. To be honest, our bowlers are much more comfortable bowling to right-handers than to left-handers. Once the initial overs for Masri and Tapash were over, we simply didnot have the firepower to bowl at left-handers. Since Martyn and Clarke seemed pretty satisfied with around 3-4 runs an over Bashar was an opportunity to go quickly through the overs using up Rafique and Aftab's quotas for comparatively very cheap runs. On the other hand if either of Martyn or Clarke would have gone early, we would have a left-e-rightie combination if if both went, then leftie-leftie combination. There was a good chance we would have been taken for more runs in those middle overs since a leftie would have been much for comfortable with rafique's SLA and Aftab's gentle pace (which may well have been misdirected for a leftie due to his inexperience. Instead just the 2 4s were scored by Martyn and Clarke in the 16-40 over period.

Besides, a captain has both on-field and off-field duties. Bashar commands the respect of his men and they are ready to give their best for him. One can see the strong bond that exists between the players and some of the credit must go to a captain who never hesitates to generously praise his junior players and entrust them with responsibilities.
i agree with you 100%. one thing i did not like about his decision to let nazmul bowl last few overs. he should not bring a 17 years old to bowl in the last 8 overs; it does not matter how good he is. otherwise i thought nazmul bowled well in his opening spell.

Mahir
June 20, 2005, 03:06 PM
Habibul Bashar is now a captain worldwide. He is recognized to have class. The image he has in the cricket arena is unprecedent in the history of Bangladesh's captains, and there should really be no replacement for him until he retires (or until he does something devastating for Bangladesh's cricket).

Bashar indeed have flaws, of which "bowling changes" and "ability to set the perfect field situation-wise" are two prominent ones. Other than that, I think he is a highly motivational character in the dressing-room, and has earned a lot of respect from his team-mates and coach and management.

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 9:08 PM GMT, by MasterBlaster.

akabir77
June 20, 2005, 03:06 PM

SO in other words you are saying bashar intensionally kept both batsmen and made sure that are didn't get out just because lefts r next. Listen how funny that sounds. I know in para match people will do stuff like that not get the danger batsman in.. but in ODI???:-/

Lovely_cr
June 20, 2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Lovely_cr
What do you guys think about Bashar`s captaincy?

My personal view is he isnít quite good, which we have seen several times. His way of setting fields and using bowlers deserves critics. He is always stuck with the same philosophy instead of changing things and putting the batsmen under pressure.

But the more important question: Do you have a better alternative then Bashar?:duh::duh::duh:

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 10:19 PM GMT, by Lovely_cr.

reyme
June 20, 2005, 06:25 PM
Something very basic he consistently fails to do: Take out a bowler when he is getting hammered. Bashar has the preset mind of bowling someone according to books. I think he just not good enough to react as the situation demands.

Whether we have alternatives or not, will have it some days or not, the coach needs to work with the captain to bring the best out of him. It has been a while since Bashar is playing, a man playing for this long should not make such basic mistakes. And question about learning. He is playing ODI's 15+ years, if he still needs to learn the basic of changing bowlers at the right time, man then will he ever graduate from the school of cricket captain?

I think peole have points, every commnetors repeatedly said he was making mistakes on the field. He was just standing to let things happen. sure he has many wins under his belt, but that is more to do with teamwork than the captaincy. Hopefully he will work on his weak points with the coach and will become a great captain one day.

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 11:35 PM GMT, by reyme.

rafiq
June 20, 2005, 06:39 PM
Bashar is our best option at captain now. I never called for him to be sacked. I just want him to get feedback from the braintrust and get better in dealing with some of the things mentioned in this thread and elsewhere.

reyme
June 20, 2005, 06:45 PM
Good Luck Bashar. Now win the toss and get the 11th win and make us all happy!

AussieBloke
June 20, 2005, 10:38 PM
I watched the entire BD vs Aus match. Although Bashar is a "default captain" and very conservative, I think in this match he was correct in his decisions. More so, his bowlers backed his decision. Ok, lets take a look where he can be criticized for the match:

1) Commentators were saying that he did not have a gully, no slip after certain overs, no close fielders when wickets fell or when Rafiq came to bowl. I disagree. if he did that (brought in close fielders) and Martyn and Clarke hit the ball in the air, then we would be saying "why did he do that?" Since we agree that we are short of match winning bowlers, trying to land the finishing blow would not be a smart thing to do. What our bowlers were doing was maintaining line and length, not allowing the batsmen to open their arms. If we were a more consistent team. giving other teams a hard time every time, then trying new things would be a good thing. But against the mighty Aus one needs to do what suits his bowlers and Bashar's plan suited his bowlers very much.

2. I have this feeling from Stuart Mcgill's pre-match interview and other comments that Aus thought that any total they make (whatever) would be unattainable by us. Ponting wanted all his batsmen to have match practice. he would have retired some of his batsmen to give his middle order a batting practice. When Ponting says that he misread the pitch, I am highly suspect of that comment. So in the face of that sort of psyche, Bashar's tactic of containment and drying up runs is a very well thought of technique. But his plan came off successfully only becoz his bowlers maintained their line and length. It thrilled me to see that every Aus batsmen tried to make those big shots by giving themselves room outside off stamp. But since our bowlers maintained line and length, they had very little chance for those big shots. Ball after after ball they kept on hacking those close to off stamp balls on the ground without any result. Ball after ball you could see the rueing smile on the faces of Martyn. Clarke, Hussey, Katich and Hayden. Ball after ball many of those batsmen looked at the sky and thought to themselves "what do I have to do to score a boundary?". It was an awesome thing to watch. By putting players square of the wicket (off side) they restricted Martyn's off drive (his favorite shots). Bill Lawry mentioned that NZ did the same thing against Martyn. So a big praise for Bashar.

3. Bashar is being criticized for allowing Nazmul to bowl at the death. Tapash tends to get a bit tired late of the innings. Both he and Nazmul were guilty of trying to bowl too many yorkers. Most of those attempted yorkers ended up being full tosses and both Katich and Hussey took advatage of that. Most of those full tosses ended up in fours. if not for those full tosses, we would have restricted them for even lower score. Nazmul still had a lot of pace in his bowling. So if he could just maintain his line and length and not try too many yorkers (just bowl wicket to wicket), then he wont be a bad choice for the last 5-8 overs.

4. Mashrafee was awesome. The way Bashar used him was great. Whenever he came to bowl you could see the batsmen treating him with respect.

5. I liked the way Bashar left the longest part of the field unguarded and how the bowlers kept probing outside off stamp. By heavily packing the off side he dried up the boundaries, forcing the batsmen to work the ball outside off stamp to the leg side...which also opened up chances for catches.

So my verdict: not a bad day's work for Bashar.

P.S. Bashar was guilty of one misfield though...lol

ReckmyBack
June 20, 2005, 11:29 PM
Bashar is the best captain . Show me a single captain of BD beating the world champs ever ?

ReckmyBack
June 20, 2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by reyme
Good Luck Bashar. Now win the toss and get the 11th win and make us all happy!

If we bat first then get atleast 270+ . If we get it then England will struggle and possibly loose the match .:flag:

RazabQ
June 21, 2005, 12:01 AM
Here's another thought. Was Pilot the next in line after Ashraful fell? Yet, there was Rafiq - probably the most nerveless cricketer we have and a lefty. Masree is as good a hitter as Rafiq and lets not forget, it was Pilot that struck the six in the ICC trophy. Yet Bashar & Dav sent Rafiq in - that is imaginative captaincy for you!

TheWatcher
June 21, 2005, 12:07 AM
No Razab Bhai, most of the BD fans anticipated Rafique at that moment for the reasons you have stated, there was not much thinking or imagination required for that decision, it was a very natural thing to do.

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 5:09 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.

ReckmyBack
June 21, 2005, 12:22 AM
Yeah we wanted Rafique then before Pilot and mashrafe caz that was an winning situation .

sasharif
June 21, 2005, 01:22 AM
Hats off to Bashar for his success. I like Bashar as a batsman. He is very polite and honest, which is a good quality for not only a good player but also a good person. However, he is too orthodox and introvert. It goes aginst him as a captain. I feel Mashud could have done a better job. Having said that, there is no need to change captancy. Bashar is doing a reasonable job. He should cousult Mashud and Rafique on and off the field.