PDA

View Full Version : Are we really what we are claiming we are?

allrounder
June 20, 2005, 01:10 PM
After posting the biggest upset in ODI cricket history we are overwhelmed with joy and happiness. Surely we will run out of words to express what we have accomplished by beating Aus, India, Zim, Pakistan in ODIs. But don't you think we are taking it to the extreme with some of the claims we are making.

Critics who have questioned about our test status, we are throwing words back to them saying see we have proved you wrong, now eat your own words. But is that the true scenario? Are we not below par in our most recent test performance? Did we not lose to a county team by innings as well as got destroyed by Eng in both the tests? We were not able to even complete full three days of a test match.

<b>Does an ODI win against Aus means that we have become a competitive test nation already and proved the critics wrong</b>?

I still believe we are very weak, we have lots of things to learn and develop and many years left to be considered as a good cricket nation like Aus, NZ, West Indies meaning that we have it in us to be one of them but we are not there yet.

Do not say that we are just another cricket team like Aus, Pak or WI and this win is just like any other test team beating Aus. Because we are not, we are ranked at the bottom of the table and with hard work and determination we will slowly move up the ladder. That is how it should be, not like enter the cricket arena and act like we are as good as the rest. Because for them too it took years to be where they are now.

A player earns respect with his performance, a team is no different. We bash Ash, Bashar, Sujon, drop players from the team when they perform horrible. Didn't we drop Alok, Rajin, Ash and send them to A team from national team? The same way if BD is displaying poor performance others will bash and ridicule us or would want us to join a second tier.

A team also sticks with players they trust and know is capable of performing and so keeps them in the team and give them chances. Similarly BD is also getting chances to prove and perform. So we should not waste these opportunity or take things for granted or think we have already made it and start fighting with words rather than on the playing field.

The only way to reply is not with words but with promising signs of progress and strength. Also progress cannot be measured by a shoking win one after another but with fighting and eliminating our own weaknesses like footwork, shot selection, mentality, strategies and improving BD cricket infrastructure. Making the same error each and every game shows lack of determination and concentration. So please accept our weakness and praise our success and discuss with our critics on how to improve our cricket structure from here onwards instead of killing hope and potentional that we have.

Beating Aus made us champions for that day only not forever so we better act that way and get back to work and bring some stability in our progress.

bop
June 20, 2005, 01:19 PM
Since Dav took over the team after world cup we were always competitive only problem is we donít have consistency. Other than Mosharaf none of our player play consistently. Just think about it the way Bd played against Aussi; Bowling, fielding , batting, if we can play like that in every game then we could pull out few more victory by now. I never doubt the talent some of our player has but they donít use their head.

If I am not mistaken than now Bd team has a sports psychologist, however I think we need to bring the world class sports psychologist to train our player to control their emotion.

ZunaidH
June 20, 2005, 01:23 PM
allrounder;

I think we know who we are. Is that a fair assumption? Are you giving us a reality check?

Our team is young; but, they also realize that they have required talent to succeed at this level. All they need to bring into the game is a bit of professionalism and a die hard attitude to win. I think we are getting their. That too at a very decent speed.

ZunaidH
June 20, 2005, 01:27 PM
If you are concerned about the emotions of the fans, I say it is normal. It is healthy to swing either way. As long as the selectors don't pay too much attention to that we are fine.

One World
June 20, 2005, 01:41 PM
Anyone who watched the pre-match interview with Bashar today already knows that Bashar claimed the same what is asked in this thread. He mentioned that although BD won one ODI that does not mean anything unless the total team performance is upto the level of other teams in the list. He confirmed that he is taking the responsibility as a captain to ensure the BD team continues performing in somewhat more competitive manner. It is good to know that he thinks and realizes the need. While I would say most of our previous captains such as Mashud, Rajin, Durjoy or Mahmud lacked it a lot.

dancin in the rain
June 20, 2005, 02:34 PM
All rounder: Are we claiming that we are world champion? What we are saying that we deserve a little better treatment from the cricketing world then what we are getting now. I think all of us know where do we belong and what can we achieve in time.

dosadeel
June 20, 2005, 03:35 PM
Look at this way: bd team's average age is 21 years old, which is a big plus. After 4/5 years, those kids who jsut beat australia, will mature and gain experience and become world class players.

Billy
June 20, 2005, 03:43 PM
To put it bluntly, I'm still not convinced that Bangladesh are a good enough team to play test cricket at the moment.

While that is a pretty dis-heartening statement it doesn't really tell the whole story. The current situation isn't ideal at all but there simply isn't a better way for Bangladesh to develop at the moment. You could prehaps try and send more players to the county and grade teams but that's not going to improve the team as a whole.

In the end though, only a fool would bet against Bangladesh developing into a fully fledged test playing nation capable of competing consistently at a high level. The population of the country and their passion for the sport is simply too great to stop Bangladesh from improving. I for one feel that Bangladesh should continue to play test cricket even if coaxing the talent posessed in the current team is difficult. It may be painful at the moment but I believe the win against Australia was the first step on what I hope is a long and interesting sporting journey.

IanW
June 20, 2005, 05:09 PM
Billy,

"You could prehaps try and send more players to the county and grade teams but that's not going to improve the team as a whole."

Actually, I dont agree with that. Let me paint a picture.

Bashar and Shahadat go play for Jamaica for a year - Bashar likes it there, and if you think the Windies will knock back a kid who bowls at 90 mph, you're dreaming.

Shahadat comes back after a year, having learned off various West Indies greats ... he then teaches that stuff to the next generation. Bashar ... well, Bashar practices his hook shot, and learn more about West Indian conditions.

Enaul haque Jr goes back to England, and learns more about the game there. He isnt a batsman, but he learns how those with more limited batting talent can prosper in England.

Rahim gets to spend a year in Australia, going to school at Westfield Sports High School, and playing club cricket for Bankstown on weekends (*). He comes back, and has played in Australian conditions, getting to pass on what he learned.

And so on.

Ian Whitchurch

(*) Look, this is probably better done thru channels, but I knew their local MP via uni politics. The argument 'This kid batted at Lords' is a pretty good one to get him in.

BioMEMS
June 20, 2005, 06:11 PM
The picture you painted is beautiful. It will be a great benefit to all BD young players if they can get some experience in more established cricketing nations. The main problem is money. I think BD is simply too poor to send the players overseas for long training periods.

IanW
June 20, 2005, 07:12 PM
Biomems,

Who's talking about BD paying for this ? The plan is the players are put on contract and paid by their employing teams.

OK, Rahim is a different case, but I can see him (and his family) seeing the value of a year's schooling in Australia.

Ian Whitchurch