PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Gilly

TheWatcher
June 20, 2005, 03:11 PM
Gilchrist again proved what a great sportsman he is, at the end of the Cardiff match he collected a stump and gave it to Ashraful. Ashraful also mentioned that there was no sledging from McGrath or any other Aussies during his innings.

Janakantha (dailyjanakantha.com/kn.pdf)

Even though English fans call Aussies cockey, I find them most sporting and friendly to us :clap:

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 6:35 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.

DJ Sahastra
June 20, 2005, 03:21 PM
Sledgings happen usually during test-matches and are aimed at breaking a batsman's concentration. It has hardly an impact in ODIs.

Also, no team indulges in sledging when playing a rank underdog. It would look pathetic. The same sledging takes the disguise of "aggression" when playing with a competitive team. A few wins later, you'll get a dose of how Aussies sledge or whether they are cocky or not.

That said, Gili's gesture deserves an applaud.

Akib
June 20, 2005, 03:23 PM
:great: to Gilchrist for being such a sportsman...

And if there was sledging do u really think our players would understand it... Add together their limited english and the aussies accent and it could get very confusing.

Billy
June 20, 2005, 03:30 PM
Of all the Australian's I respect Gilchrist the most. He's not one to come with statements which put the opposition down unless he genuinely means it. He plays the game in the right spirit and apologises if he's in the wrong.

cricman
June 20, 2005, 03:31 PM
That shows class all the way, The Aussies have been more supportive of our cricket in 2 weeks than england has in 7 weeks. I mean Australia has confirmed there commitment to tour Bangladesh in april while defending our test status(Except for Benaue and Co).

Billy
June 20, 2005, 03:33 PM
I must however take issue with that post, how have the English team been disrespectful of you?

Sure, our tabloid media has thrown you a few hits but so has Richie Beanud, a well respected commentator and one of the cricketing greats.

nas
June 20, 2005, 03:44 PM
Gilchrist is one of the honest modern day crickets.
he is the one of the few world class batsman who walks....if he thinks umpire got it wrong.

rememer against srilanka, in last world cup. de silva was brought into attack to make a brakethrough, gilli got a under edge to pad and was caught and umpire decided not out, but he walked.

well hes a better sportsman than Geraint Jones thats for sure...

akabir77
June 20, 2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
Sledgings happen usually during test-matches and are aimed at breaking a batsman's concentration. It has hardly an impact in ODIs.

Also, no team indulges in sledging when playing a rank underdog. It would look pathetic. The same sledging takes the disguise of "aggression" when playing with a competitive team. A few wins later, you'll get a dose of how Aussies sledge or whether they are cocky or not.

That said, Gili's gesture deserves an applaud.

Then how come indian team in the last tour did that with us? i remember what agarker did with shumon in the first ever test (2nd innings). and also tandu's bye bye to players that r not even good to play cricket (according to some)...

Others team does that too with us but i just mentioned india cause u r from there... But to my knowledge aus didn't do that with us ever and i very greatfull to them for that...

Also gili ran to ash and shaked his hand (or may be padded his back could see what he did) after he got out...

Gilchrist should be every one icon... He is just like Clive loyed, great plyr...

TheWatcher
June 20, 2005, 03:54 PM
How is that every thread ending up in India bashing when we are not even playing them?
Is it some kind of propaganda war going on since we are going to face them in WC'07?

straight_drive
June 20, 2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Billy
I must however take issue with that post, how have the English team been disrespectful of you?

Sure, our tabloid media has thrown you a few hits but so has Richie Beanud, a well respected commentator and one of the cricketing greats.

Well, buying tickets to other games *during* an ongoing match is pretty disrespectful if I may say so.

Bat-PadTogether
June 20, 2005, 04:03 PM
This is simply called "Sportsman Spirit" Thank You Gilchrist!:bravo:

Billy
June 20, 2005, 04:09 PM
:o !

Watching Sheffield Wednesday is a serious business!

Joking aside, I don't doubt that Vaughan had already bought a ticket, but that has more to do with the difficulty of getting tickets than any real slur on Bangladesh. If you were a rich sportsman wouldn't you buy a ticket to see the biggest game of your football team's season on the outside chance that you might get to see it?

The tabloid press are the ones you should be aiming at. Although they attack nearly everyone so I'm afraid you'll just have to join the queue for that one.

On a side note, I did notice an official apology from a journalist in th Guardian's sport section today. He was most apologetic.

TheWatcher
June 20, 2005, 04:15 PM
Sorry to hurt you Billy, but BD fans can never forget that how unsporting England was by not calling Iqbal back in that "inconclusive catch" incident:down:

Billy
June 20, 2005, 04:17 PM
Yes that was bad. Although worse has happened before.. you should however land the blame at Vaughan's feet rather than label Geraint Jones a cheat.

LateCut
June 20, 2005, 04:29 PM
So Jones did not cheat!

roaring tigerz
June 20, 2005, 04:32 PM
gilchrist is not only an amazingly dynamic cricketer but also someone who plays the game in the spirit it is meant to be played in. His getures are warmly appreciated by all bangladeshi fans. i also hope he would show similar misjudgment ot the one in cardiff and give our bowlers some respite from his devastating strokes for the rest of this series!

oracle
June 20, 2005, 04:37 PM
I am also a Gilchrist fan. Apart from him, i must say Katich and Hogg looks promising. They had a quiet tour so far but i think they will light up soon. Some of these aussie bashing stuff from the press has been awful. I am glad that it does/and will not emanate from BD quarters as we owe a lot to some fine Aussies.:)

Billy
June 20, 2005, 04:45 PM
Pfft, if I'd have known this was going to be an okcer love in I'd have made a couple of cutting remarks about Mahmud's "bouncers". ;)

I rate Hogg fairly highly as well but I presume you mean "promising" in terms of this tour rather than overall? George is, after all, already 33.

oracle
June 20, 2005, 05:17 PM
....as well but I presume you mean "promising" in terms of this tour rather than overall? George is, after all, already 33.

yeah i meant this tour! i believe they are warming up , and all this talk of their demise is premature. just watch.

thebest
June 20, 2005, 06:23 PM

remember
GJones catch (?) which was simply cheating
Vaughn has ticket of Football match on the 2nd day of test
Freddy's ticket for boxing match

the last 2 information is provided by our fav Rob. You can check more by keeping your eye and ear open

rafiq
June 20, 2005, 07:04 PM
i really don't know why we go on and on about supposed slights aimed at bangladesh and it's cricket team. it's such a loser mentality and gets so boring. we don't we just stop crying all the friggin' time? heck, we just beat australia, let's act a little tougher shall we? the biggest disrespect to us was shown by our own team, unable to stand up for little more than 2 days of test cricket and making themselves look pathetic in front of the whole world at Lords. Thankfully they have bounced back and with one improbable win redeemed themselves and the rest of us. But as far as Vaugh buying tickets to watch the Wednesday playoff match, he should have bought a whole skybox to entertain his Bangladeshi guests!

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 12:07 AM GMT, by rafiq.

jabbar
June 20, 2005, 07:16 PM
The England cricket team and the english media are BOTH arrogant and spiteful. For some reason, they just can't stand Bangladesh being in the same league as them.

Could these feelings originate from colonial times when England ruled India? (which Bangladesh was a part of during those times). India's independance was the British Empire's greatest loss. The ill-ffeling still remains. When Bangladesh finally win a world cup (and England, of course, will never win a world cup - they just can't sustain winning form for that long), then they will be even more frustrated!

Ejaj
June 20, 2005, 09:59 PM
Guys.. cool down. Many of question that is being asked about Bangladesh.. is definitely due to the kind of performance tha tBD showed. So.. only way to change it.. but. playing better. yes.. British media was bit harsh on us.. Rob , Billy.. I am sure.. you both will agree about this. But. Nonetheless.. i dont believe that.. all English ppl are actually against BD team. The supporters.. may be the number is lower .. but.. stil.. it doesnt mean that we can call the entire England against us.

About Australia.. to. they are the best friend of Bd cricket. They are teaching us the cricket and our cricketing structure is being modeled by Australians experts. So.. Overall.. Australian will alawys be rememberd and regarded higheer than England.. when it comes to the fact that .. they are much more friendly and helping ppl then English.

About media.. I guess.. England and Indian................. they are never happy and will never be happy with us. So.. no real comments about them.

jabbar
June 20, 2005, 10:03 PM
aussies are naturally nice people:) they r brought up that way.

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 3:04 AM GMT, by jabbar.

mwrkhan
June 20, 2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by jabbar
aussies are naturally nice people:) they r brought up that way.

Yeah, I've known some Aussies in my time and they are nice, but like us sub-continentals they too carry an enormous colonial chip on their shoulder and in many respects display the same insecurities and hyper-sensitivity to perceived insults. Look, if we are going to look for insults and racism all the time and in everything we will no doubt find it. I think this says more about us than anyone else.

ReckmyBack
June 20, 2005, 11:23 PM
That's nothing new caz when Bangladesh was in Australia . Steve Waugh even said to Ashraful "If you can 100 then i will give my gloves to you" . But Ashraful couldn't make 100 in that tour . So , Gilli reminds the past ... that's what it's !!!!!!

Gilli is a nice man indeed and he shook the hands with Ashraful too after he got the hundred ..

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 7:21 AM GMT, by ReckmyBack.

crickwizard
June 21, 2005, 01:24 AM
Now give this a rest, ek-i pan pananani by young bangladeshi sensitive dudes ar valo lage na. Let us salute to Gilli, for being such a great sport man. I heard, he is a great man off field as well. As for Bangladesh team, he has always stood by during the difficult times.

Lets just play well and establish respect. Excellent achievements always takes over any debate on particular skill set. This is true for personal life as well
:love:

Rabz
June 21, 2005, 02:16 AM
how come a thread that was supposed to thank gilly n gong went about to bash the english players and media ??

as far as im concerned..english media is never soft on anybody ?? let it be cricket, football, rugby, hockey or even kabaddi...or let it be aussies or us or any other country for that sake...
Everytime some other country goes to play there..they always cop a loads of sh!t from the notorious british pres...n i see no wrong in that ?? offcourse they wanna demoralise the opponents even before the game begins...

these days..its all about winning...and winning is what matters the most.... its upto the players to show the sportmanship..not the journalist...they are just writing what gonna sell the most....

and i also see no wrong in vaughn bying ticket for some other game while playing a game...
well wouldnt u do if u know the game's gonna be over pretty soon ?? didnt we loose the test against eng in 3 days ?? its our fault that we couldnt play well enough to take the game beyond those days..so why blame vaughn and his players ?? its not they refused to play on the fifth day cuz they had something better to do...

n coming to aussies...hats off to them for showing such sportmanship....but i wouldnt still blame them if they had sledged...

after all..who wants to loose to bangladesh...
im pretty sure ponting didnt want to...
he had far more important thing in his mind than defending the loss againt us !!

he have the british media, his local aussie media and the whole world, ashes, symonds problem, another warne scandal, form-loss of his main bowlers, and most importantly, his own batting form to worry about...

well...all i can say...

go Tigers !!

Kill 'em all !!

Tigers had 'roos for lunch...lions running for life !!

sadhat
June 21, 2005, 02:23 AM
:o !

Watching Sheffield Wednesday is a serious business!

Joking aside, I don't doubt that Vaughan had already bought a ticket, but that has more to do with the difficulty of getting tickets than any real slur on Bangladesh. If you were a rich sportsman wouldn't you buy a ticket to see the biggest game of your football team's season on the outside chance that you might get to see it?

The tabloid press are the ones you should be aiming at. Although they attack nearly everyone so I'm afraid you'll just have to join the queue for that one.

On a side note, I did notice an official apology from a journalist in th Guardian's sport section today. He was most apologetic.

If there is a link of Guardian sport section, post it here please. Appreciate it