PDA

View Full Version : Poor tour hosting from England

TheWatcher
June 20, 2005, 03:43 PM
Sleepless at the Hilton
Al-Amin from Nottingham

At the breakfast table of the Hilton Hotel Bangladesh team manager MA Latif was inquiring whether each and every member of the side had a table fan in their rooms.

It might sound very funny but the reality was that the Bangla-desh cricket team required a small-size fan on Sunday night because most members of the national team passed a sleepless night with no air-conditioning system available in the rooms.

Although nobody complained, but there were whisperings about the not-so-good condition of the hotel where the Bangladesh team would be staying until June 22.

This is however not a thing of discomfort for the cricketers during their first full series in England. Earlier, they were deprived of training at Cardiff where they pulled off the famous victory against Australia due to stiff hotel arrangement schedule.

The team has been travelling by an ECB allotted bus throughout the tour. However, after more than a month they have started to dislike the ride due to delay for jams in rush hours.

Once upon a time cricketers sailed from the Atlantic or from the Indian Ocean and took months to reach the destination to play. But in modern days and especially in England, any cricketer coming from the sub-continent could barely think of a situation like the one at Hilton.

Nottingham is the 11th destination for the Tigers since they landing at London's Heathrow over a month ago. But by the time they play their final group league game at Leeds, they can easily claim that they have seen it all in England.

The England trip is no doubt in the most demanding both on and off the field for Habibul Bashar's men. They knew that it would be very tough on the field, but they never thought that it would be equally taxing even after a long day's workout.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has certainly taken a long look at the detailed tour schedule before signing the MoU with the English and Wales Board (ECB). But for those who have had first-hand experience, it seemed that everything was done in a rush.

DS Report (http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/06/21/d50621040126.htm)

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 8:44 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

Billy
June 20, 2005, 03:46 PM
So we should helicopter them in everywhere then should we? ;)

Sham
June 20, 2005, 03:53 PM
Yeah exactly? What the hell are they supposed to do about traffic jams? They hardly block traffic for the Queen, they are sure not going to start doing it for our tour bus like the way we do for every Tom, Dick and Harry in our country.

And plus, one day schedules are like that, you have to play a match and go off to another destination for your next match in a couple of days time. Think about it, Australia lost to us on Saturday in Cardiff and had to get on their bus to go off to Bristol (okay, not so far but still) for their clash against England on Sunday. Those are just the demands of international cricket these days, cant complain!

Beamer
June 20, 2005, 03:53 PM
No..helicopters needed. Just bring in Paris Hilton next time since they are not sleeping anyway.

straight_drive
June 20, 2005, 03:54 PM
In the past teams have often been quite critical of touring the subcontinent. It is quite valid to point out that similar things also happen outside the subcontinent.

Bat-PadTogether
June 20, 2005, 04:00 PM
Shalara Aamadar Playerder"Fokirnee Miskheen Payasa!!!:down::down::down:

TheWatcher
June 20, 2005, 04:03 PM
Al-Amin was obviously pissed off when he wrote this article, during the match in Cardiff, BD reporters could not find a place in the press-box.

Still, I find his accusations have base as the host is supposed to make sure visiting players are provided basic comphorts like air-conditioned rooms. Also, ECB could plan the schedual better to minimize length of travels.

Billy
June 20, 2005, 04:04 PM
Right, I understood about 0% of that so I'll counter by pointing out that England have presented both England and Banglasedh with plenty of warm up matches. Compare your schedule with the England team's schedule in RSA where we got two warm up games in the entire tour. One of which was partly washed out if my memory serves me correctly.

Mahmood
June 20, 2005, 04:12 PM
I wonder when teams come to Bangladesh, do they take a bus to chittagong or fly? May be we need to learn cricket hospitality from England here.

Billy
June 20, 2005, 04:16 PM
Touché!

England is a much smaller country than Bangladesh, even if you add Wales and Scotland into mix. Flying players everywhere just wouldn't make economic sense.

The poor standard of accomodation is the thing that stands out in that article to me. It's not acceptable to shunt Bangladesh into a corner just because the Aussies are in town.

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 9:25 PM GMT, by Billy due to intense geographical knowledge embarrassment

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 9:25 PM GMT, by Billy.

Zunaid
June 20, 2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Billy
Touché!

England is a much smaller country than Bangladesh, even if you add Wales and Scotland into mix. Flying players everywhere just wouldn't make economic sense.

The poor standard of accomodation is the thing that stands out in that article to me. It's not acceptable to shunt Bangladesh into a corner just because the Aussies are in town.

England Area: 129,720 sq km
Bangladesh Area: 133,910 sq km

Just a tad bit smaller, not much - and if you add wales and scotland into the mix, it IS the other way.

However, your second para is noted and appreciated.

TheWatcher
June 20, 2005, 04:22 PM
England is smaller than Bangladesh!!! Are you sure Billy? Bangladesh is only 55k square miles!!

Anyway, even our poor country provide planes to visitors to cover distances like 160 miles.

Billy
June 20, 2005, 04:22 PM
Really?

I thought Bangaldesh was huge!

That'll teach me to stop geography lessons at 14!

Mahmood
June 20, 2005, 04:23 PM
Oh come on. How long is the drive from Dhaka to Chittagong?

From CIA Fact book...

UK Area:
total: 244,820 sq km
land: 241,590 sq km
water: 3,230 sq km

Bangladesh Area:
total: 144,000 sq km
land: 133,910 sq km
water: 10,090 sq km

PS: Zunaid bhai, fix your stat source ;)

reverse_swing
June 20, 2005, 04:26 PM
Frankly speaking here in UK we hardly need any AC. But I can realize their problem about Bus journey. If you compare our Nirapod, Shohag with their national express I think we are way better than them. Seats are so narrow that u can't sleep. Now a days Shohag Poribohon introduced DVD player in their Dhaka to Chittegong route. They have business class economy class ticket system something which is unthinkable in UK. And they don't have luxury city bus service like Nirapod.

Zobair
June 20, 2005, 04:26 PM
I think some of us are confusing England and UK :P They are not quite the same.

Billy
June 20, 2005, 04:28 PM
No, I did mention including Scotland and Wales.

I'm a bit shocked actually, I knew where Bangladesh is but I'd always thought of it as being bigger than the UK.

mahbubH
June 20, 2005, 04:29 PM
UK and England should not be of the same size!

Spitfire_x86
June 20, 2005, 04:29 PM
It's the only thing that bothered me. I don't care much about bus travel vs. air travel, but the standard of accomodation is really important.

Billy
June 20, 2005, 04:32 PM
It says here that Bangladesh has four frigates and is 83% Muslim.

And to think I was worried about posting in a thread discussing religion and culture in Bangladesh! I am quite capable of making a fool of myself without joining such discussions.

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 9:33 PM GMT, by Billy.

TheWatcher
June 20, 2005, 04:36 PM
Just want to point out that this series spreads over both England and Wales as our last game was played in Cardiff.

Zunaid
June 20, 2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Rajputro

PS: Zunaid bhai, fix your stat source ;)

UK != England :)

Billy
June 20, 2005, 04:40 PM
So basically Bangladesh is the same size as England?

In that case I advise you to steal a few cricketers from neighbouring countries (Bhutan's not too far away, do they play much cricket?) and maybe a couple of Saffers and a Welsh Australian. We had to send a Brummie the other way to get the Welsh Australian but I think it was probably worth it in the end.

Sham
June 20, 2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Rajputro
I wonder when teams come to Bangladesh, do they take a bus to chittagong or fly? May be we need to learn cricket hospitality from England here.

We have done our fair bit of travelling, but the distances have been nothing. I mean, its not like we played one match in Canterbury and then had to go to Headingly for the next game. We have gone from Cambridge to Hove to Northampton to London. London to Durham was our longest trip. But the thing is, for most of those trips, taking a flight would be ridiculous. It would take longer to get to Heathrow or Gatwick or Luton or Stanstead, check in and board a plane than it is to travel most of the distances that we have done!

If instead of Chittagong (which despite the distance takes ages to get to by car because of the traffic out of Dhaka into Narayanganj and into Chittagong through Mirershorai), they were going from Dhaka to Munshiganj, surely we wouldnt put them on a plane would we?

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 10:04 PM GMT, by Sham.

Sham
June 20, 2005, 05:03 PM
So basically Bangladesh is the same size as England?

In that case I advise you to steal a few cricketers from neighbouring countries (Bhutan's not too far away, do they play much cricket?) and maybe a couple of Saffers and a Welsh Australian. We had to send a Brummie the other way to get the Welsh Australian but I think it was probably worth it in the end.

Is Geraint Jones Welsh Australian? I didn't know that. Or maybe I did and forgot about it.

Mate, we don't need to borrow cricketers. We might be small in landmass, but we are the 8th largest country in the world in terms of population, and cricket is our number one sport unlike Football here, so we have plenty of talent in the pipeline.

Akib
June 20, 2005, 05:05 PM
Its just a hotel.... and anyways they should be able to tough it out.... It worked agiants our aussie match. I say we keep it the way it is... And it doesnt seem to harsh.

Billy
June 20, 2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Sham
Is Geraint Jones Welsh Australian? I didn't know that. Or maybe I did and forgot about it.

Mate, we don't need to borrow cricketers. We might be small in landmass, but we are the 8th largest country in the world in terms of population, and cricket is our number one sport unlike Football here, so we have plenty of talent in the pipeline.

Pah.

You'll never get a giant with a poor taste in clothes and an awful haircut with that attitude.

Sham
June 20, 2005, 05:19 PM
Why do I have serious doubts that there is a Pieterson hiding in Nepal, Bhutan or Burma?

Billy
June 20, 2005, 05:24 PM
I suspect it's down to a lack of bling.

"If you bling it, Kev will come."

Zunaid
June 20, 2005, 05:32 PM
I suspect it's down to a lack of bling.

"If you bling it, Kev will come."

Hmmm.. who is the most bling laden circketer of late?

BangladeshFan
June 20, 2005, 05:50 PM
2 interesting points to note

1)bd players are pissed because of traffic jam in england

2)they dont have ac in this hot weather in england.

have i missed something or my sense of humor is gone?:D

Rob
June 20, 2005, 05:59 PM
I find it quite incredible that you didn't get air conditioning in your hotel.

It will of just been a one off, pretty much all hotels here in England have air con.

Zobair
June 20, 2005, 06:01 PM
Thats what happens when you tour a poor under-developed country like England :D:P j/k