PDA

View Full Version : Shahriar is BACK.........!!!!!!!!!!!

nasifkhan
March 21, 2003, 10:48 AM
From Daily Star.......

Vintage Shahriar sees off City

An unbeaten half-century from opener Shahriar Hossain guided Brothers Union Club to a comprehensive eight-wicket win over high flying City Club in the lone GrameenPhone Premier Cricket League clash at the BKSP ground yesterday.

Chasing a moderate 170 in a reduced 40-over match, Shahriar, the former Bangladesh opener smashed an undefeated 75 to see his side reach the winning mark in 36.1 overs with eight wickets to spare.

Shahriar hammered one six and seven boundaries in his patient 102-ball knock.

Earlier, put into bat, City Club's 170 was built around two fifties from captain Faruque Ahmed and the prolific young man from Mymensingh Md Moniruzzaman Moni.

Opener Faruque scored 54 off 56 with a six and half a dozen of fours while Moniruzzaman also scored 54 off 94 ball with only two boundaries.

It was City Club's third defeat in eleven matches. They are now jointly sharing the second spot along with Mohammedan Sporting Club and Abahani with each having 44 points. Mohammedan have finished their first round campaign while Abahani and City Club have one match in hand.

On the other hand, it was Brothers Union's fifth win against six defeats that raised their tally to 26 points.

Pundit
March 21, 2003, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately, this is a pretty insignificant revelation.

We have to remember while rooting for the Mehrab's, Shariar's, Akram Khan's, Javed's, that while their being given another chance is refreshing, they all had played for BD..meaning that they were given chances before.

They were dropped after repeated failures, though their averages may not reflect that.

And this is where BCB is most at fault..no consistency !!

If the above is correct, then we shouldn't be dropping the current lot either !!

Ehsan
March 22, 2003, 01:46 PM
I don't think he's coming back to form in domstic cricket means anything. He'll flop again in the international matches. Don't get little confuse here, I'm not asking hime to drop..he'll show up once as he did with Namibia and I hope he shows us something like that type of innings against India and SA. Basically our openers need a little bit of patience and they should go for right selection of shots for particular ball. Good luck for Shariar and all our openeres.

Pundit
March 22, 2003, 01:49 PM
Shariar Hossain, not Al-Shariar !

Ehsan
March 22, 2003, 09:55 PM
Ooooops!!! Bhule mistake hoye geche :D

Tehsin
March 22, 2003, 11:07 PM
That's the Shahriar I was talking about before I was TAKEN AWAY from this board. Anyways, I'm still having a hard time getting used to dial-up .... *sigh*

Bidyut had a few good scores and even though I would not pick anyone (any longer) based on their domestic performances, I would give him a shot with the training camp and may be even teh A team. It's not everyday that a BD opener scores in the 90s. Same thing with Opee, now that he is about to get a break, he needs to show the others how to score a one day hundred. It's sad how we have not seen another hundred since his.

Ehsan
March 23, 2003, 12:52 AM
How come you working with dial-up now tehsin bhai???

Tehsin
March 23, 2003, 11:38 PM
In the process of moving.

Ehsan
March 24, 2003, 12:17 AM
O YA!!! THAT JUST GOT OUT OF MY MIND