PDA

View Full Version : That 6 from Aftab

bangla_amar
June 20, 2005, 10:35 PM
Granted that Ash played the match winning innings but if there is any match winning shot, that must be that sixer in the first ball of the last over.

It was intriguing to read in Prothom Alo what Aftab thought before that ball was bowled.

He said he was thinking about the famous South Aftrica-Aus Word -Cup semifinal....suicidal runout between Donald and Klusener in the last over...few dot balls and pressure was on.

Aftab said to himself he would not allow that pressure to build and do whatever he has to do in the first couple of balls.

Then he saw Gillespie brought the fine leg up and sent short third man to the boundary...he predicted a slower ball is coming. Anybody who played a little bit of cricket would understand the rationale.

A slower ball (usually on the off stump) at a half volley length alway encourages a booming drive and there is always a good chance that the ball would go somewhere square of the wicket on the off.

Now if you see the video of that shot, it seemed that Aftab exactly knew what was coming. He needed not to adjust himself at the last moment or something like that.

That was amazing thinking on the part of a 19-year old! If that is any indication of cricketing acumen of these young kids, I would say our future can't be any brighter.

Any comments?

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 4:21 AM GMT, by bangla_amar.

couger
June 20, 2005, 11:27 PM
I was watching the game live on bangladeshlive.net. At the start of the last over I kept thinking of the ICC Finals in 1997. Pilot hit a six off the first ball of the last over. When Aftab hit that amazing six I thaught for a moment that they were showing replays of the ICC final game!!

You're right.........good, thinking cricket from young Aftab.

James90
June 21, 2005, 12:10 AM
Gillespie's bowling is getting far too predictable nowadays but still, Aftab showed amazing composure. Needing more than a run a ball with just one over left and on the verge of the biggest upset in cricket history he kept a cool head and thought about what he was doing. I really wouldn't expect this from a 19-year old playing in just his 15th match. To read it to perfection, pick his spot and go through with it shows amazing nerve when everything was at stake. He didn't die wondering and as I result we've seen what happened.

One of the best shots in Bangladesh cricket history

jabbar
June 21, 2005, 12:21 AM
The average age of BD is 21. What's teh average of Australia? It would be around 30 - 31, wouldn't it?

In a 2-4 years, this BD team will be awesome...

bangla_amar
June 21, 2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
Gillespie's bowling is getting far too predictable nowadays but still, Aftab showed amazing composure. Needing more than a run a ball with just one over left and on the verge of the biggest upset in cricket history he kept a cool head and thought about what he was doing. I really wouldn't expect this from a 19-year old playing in just his 15th match. To read it to perfection, pick his spot and go through with it shows amazing nerve when everything was at stake. He didn't die wondering and as I result we've seen what happened.

One of the best shots in Bangladesh cricket history

Exactly my thoughts!!!!:up:

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 5:29 AM GMT, by bangla_amar.

BanglaMusic
June 21, 2005, 12:29 AM
That first ball of the last over is the one!!!!!! Signed the deal!

ReckmyBack
June 21, 2005, 12:47 AM
We do expect to win from this kinda situation of the match when Aftab and Rafique on the crease .

Rabz
June 21, 2005, 02:21 AM
i dont know about u guys..but im still dreaming of that six since that moment...

theTiger
June 21, 2005, 02:53 AM
that waz not a six it waz a slap on the face of ausstralians!

Mueid
June 21, 2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by bangla_amar

That was amazing thinking on the part of a 19-year old! If that is any indication of cricketing acumen of these young kids, I would say our future can't be any brighter.

Any comments?

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 4:21 AM GMT, by bangla_amar.
i was told that aftab failed his metric exams twice (equivalent to O level). and then i understood why Einstein was a flop in class

GuruTM
June 21, 2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Mueid

i was told that aftab failed his metric exams twice (equivalent to O level). and then i understood why Einstein was a flop in class

You rock. :lol: