PDA

View Full Version : Haven't seen any dumber captaincy than this..

bangla_amar
June 21, 2005, 11:47 AM
Even Pilot would not have bowled any worse than Paposh. Why keep continuing with him.

He is one hell of an unimaginative and conservative captain!

Plain dumb!

islam
June 21, 2005, 11:51 AM
I have not.

Rubu
June 21, 2005, 11:54 AM
have not seen any dumber team selection as well. i'm beginning to doubt the cricketing knowlege of the selectors for playing taposh, nazmul and tushar and not playing rana.

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 4:55 PM GMT, by AgentSmith.

m35helal
June 21, 2005, 11:59 AM
Basher is a unique hybrid of stupidity and intelligence...that's why somedays he is good, somedays so dumb....

Zobair
June 21, 2005, 12:04 PM
rubbish! every bowler went for RUNS...every_bowler_..look at the stats...lot of crap was bowled...Bashar had little to do...he can't go teach his most experienced bowlers how to bowl can he?

We certainly could have used two spinners....if after this match we don't see two spinners selected then that is just pathetic..the last thing I want to see is Chach brought in for Tapash (who has very seriousl problems with crucial areas in his bowling).

bangla_amar
June 21, 2005, 12:08 PM
In one-dayers, you always need back up bowlers. Shewag, tendy, gayle all established batsman contribute a lot. What is wrong with Ash bowling? Why not encourage other players to bowl often?

It is the Taposh from the beginning with no balls and crappy bowling lost it! And Bashar was just a plain spectator to all these carnage!

Flipper
June 21, 2005, 12:11 PM
I am going to defend all my team members today who just gave us one of the brightest days of our life on Saturady.

So, I am comming after whoever bashes our players!:)

bangla_amar
June 21, 2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by pompous
rubbish! every bowler went for RUNS...every_bowler_..look at the stats...lot of crap was bowled...Bashar had little to do...he can't go teach his most experienced bowlers how to bowl can he?

We certainly could have used two spinners....if after this match we don't see two spinners selected then that is just pathetic..the last thing I want to see is Chach brought in for Tapash (who has very seriousl problems with crucial areas in his bowling).

Every bolwer went for runs because of what? Because in first few overs the tempo was set and Taposh was the main architect of that and he was allowed to do that by our dumb captain!

Now answer if you have watched the match with open eyes. who gave the most runs in the first 15 overs when England scored 130 odd runs? If your frontline bowlers gives away 9 runs per over in the first few do you continue with him? Sure it is rubbish! this is rubbish captaincy!

What is wrong brining on Rafiq on the 9th over? or Aftab? A change of pace might have done the trick! I have seen numerous time spinners coming to bowl in the first fifteen overs (even after 6th or 7th over when frontline pacers are thrashed) .

Then he just resigned to the fact that it is not worth trying anyone else, so let's get tharashed!

Spitfire_x86
June 21, 2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Flipper
I am going to defend all my team members today who just gave us one of the brightest days of our life on Saturady.

So, I am comming after whoever bashes our players!:)
I want to be with you, but Taposh also bowled a lot of no-balls in that match and was the most expensive bowler as well

Spitfire_x86
June 21, 2005, 12:23 PM

:up: :up:

Sham
June 21, 2005, 12:24 PM
Actually, I also think Rana should be in this team. Our slower bowlers are more effective. I had earlier asked for Rana in place of Nazmul, but Taposh seems to have lost it. What is with the no-balls? Also, someone please tell Bashar that Nazmul is not a slog overs bowler. His full tosses are pissing me off.

I think Nazmul should probably open with Mashrafe, and bowl straight out. If its his day, he may go for under 60. Aftab should be brought into the attack much earlier than he has been, and Rana and Rafique should bowl out the middle overs and try to keep things tight.

We can't afford to carry both Nazmul and Taposh in this team, both giving away 8-10 runs an over.

capslock
June 21, 2005, 12:24 PM
Yes, I would have to say that I am very surprised by Bashar's captaincy, the run flood was started by Taposh (having the worst day of this life), if we had quickly moved in someone else this might not have happened, at least not to this extent. I think a break from the captaincy might do Bashar some good.

By the way, do we have a vice captain now or not? Is he not supposed to advise the vice captain? Can't Dav send a message to Bashar with drinks?

Very odd indeed.

Bat-PadTogether
June 21, 2005, 12:45 PM
Rana instead of Tapash!Bashar will never learn how to set the field!!

reyme
June 21, 2005, 01:45 PM
If someone must be a captain for this team, he must pass some kind of test by reading "captaincy for dummies". sure tapash ruined it, but bashar just stood there and let it all happen. He definitely could let Rafiq or Aftab bring in After 2 overs from tapash. And what did Dav do? Whatmore can he do?

And what is use of Rana anyways? If a Captain does not know when and how or to use or change a bowler, he will not do much better with the world's best bowlers either.

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 6:54 PM GMT, by reyme.

Akib
June 21, 2005, 03:54 PM
I say Tapash out and Rana in.... If only Enamul was still in England.

brikonwall
June 21, 2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
have not seen any dumber team selection as well. i'm beginning to doubt the cricketing knowlege of the selectors for playing taposh, nazmul and tushar and not playing rana.

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 4:55 PM GMT, by AgentSmith.

Mr. AgentSmith...did you make this kind of comment when we beat Australia? If you did, please show me...otherwise, please keep finding why and how Neo got so powerful that your millions of clones couldn't even stop him...

Fazal
June 21, 2005, 04:32 PM
I would alos like to have a new captain for different reason. He rarely wins a toss. He is very unlucky. We need a lucky captain.

TheWatcher
June 21, 2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
I would alos like to have a new captain for different reason. He rarely wins a toss. He is very unlucky. We need a lucky captain.
Sujon had the same problem. May be our whole nation is unlucky. That case we need some foreign born player to lead us. Does Whatmore come into consideration?

BangladeshFan
June 21, 2005, 06:24 PM
What is wrong brining on Rafiq on the 9th over? or Aftab? A change of pace might have done the trick! I have seen numerous time spinners coming to bowl in the first fifteen overs (even after 6th or 7th over when frontline pacers are thrashed) .

Then he just resigned to the fact that it is not worth trying anyone else, so let's get tharashed!

you are right. bashar is a joke of a captain. he never thinks about how to block the opposing scoring rate. just because he saw taposh got hit he brought in nazmul. anyone could guess what will happen next. he could have easily brought in rafiq or aftab then.

isnt it possible to have chacha as captain from gallery? he actually had far better cricket sense than bashar.

reyme
June 21, 2005, 06:41 PM
Mr. AgentSmith...did you make this kind of comment when we beat Australia? If you did, please show me...otherwise, please keep finding why and how Neo got so powerful that your millions of clones couldn't even stop him... [/quote]

Yes he did, during the match. Just because BD won that match does not mean that Bashar had a good captaincy. All the commentators on TV were talking how Bashar was just standing there without creating any pressure after the 2nd wkt fall. These were the experts talking but you dont have to be one to see how poor his captaincy was. it was the teamwork and some great batting including Bashar's that won the match, his captaincy almost ruined it!

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 11:43 PM GMT, by reyme.

reyme
June 21, 2005, 06:45 PM
If chahcha can be the captain from the gallery why cant that be Dav Whatmore?

Is there any rule in cricket that the coach/teacher cant give suggestion/answer to the players/student during the game/exam?

esteban_loaiza
June 21, 2005, 06:46 PM
Bashar should be more aggressive in field placement when Flintoff got out. Also he could have brought back Mortaza at that time. Anyway, playing four bowlers is not safe, specially when Rana bowled pretty well in the practice match.

TheWatcher
June 21, 2005, 06:47 PM
brikonwal, yes, some of us along with AgentSmith were screaming for Rana right after our emphatic win against Aussies, though we have differece of opinions whom Rana should replace.

reyme
June 21, 2005, 06:48 PM
How about we fans from Banglacricket give Bashar a cell phone and SMS him when to change bowlers and by whom? :cool:

reyme
June 21, 2005, 06:52 PM
Dear Dav Whatmore, please add training session on captaincy for bashar. and please send him guidelines while sitting with the players watching the game. this is one area you did not improve at all.

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 11:55 PM GMT, by reyme.

TheWatcher
June 21, 2005, 06:53 PM
Even Harmison was taken out of attack when he gave away 19 runs in one over. What made Bashar stick with Taposh?

Fazal
June 21, 2005, 06:57 PM
We really need 6 bowlers, who can bowl 10 overs in his good days. Yes Bashar was not changing bowlers soon enough and some times he was too defensive. But regardless who is the captain and with the qulity of our bowlers, any captain will be handicapped with only 5 bowlers who can bowl 10 overs. Wondering why Ash didn't bowl few overs?

Edited on, June 21, 2005, 11:58 PM GMT, by Fazal.

TheWatcher
June 21, 2005, 07:11 PM
I have not seen much of Ashraful's bowling, but it is always hard for leggies to have good control over their deliveries when it comes to restrict runs. As a part timer Ash had greater chance to be smacked all over the boundary.

But I agree with you that we need more stock bowler.

Edited on, June 22, 2005, 12:43 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.

CTazim
June 21, 2005, 08:25 PM
I vote for new Bangladeshi fans. We should vote all existing impatient fans out as Bangladeshi fans and get some new fans ;)

Guys relax.. look at the positive side!!

Akib
June 21, 2005, 08:26 PM
And please explain what this so called "positive side" is. The only positive i see is the 94 from Ash.... And it still doesnt cover for 391.

AussieBloke
June 21, 2005, 08:31 PM
I disagree with those who say that Bashar's captaincy during the Aus match was poor. I believe he did the right thing in that match. There is a fine line between being agressive and setting a defensive field. In that match the bowlers maintained line and length, add complacency from the aussies. The way our bowlers drained free scoring shots was admirable.

Yes, in this match (vs Eng) Bashar lost his way. But its not entirely his fault. Everyone was getting belted. I agree with members who have said that Tapash has set the tone. he did. I think what Tapash was trying to do was to be as fast as Mashrafee, putting that extra effort. Also he wanted to make some early breaktgroughs. Like in the Aus match his attempted yorkers ended up as full tosses in this match and were dispatched for fours. Now as a captain you have to have faith in your bowler. It does no good to the bowlers psyche (who is supposed to be the opening bowler) if he is removed after just one or two overs. Tapash is supposed to be a professional. So if he cant remeasure his bowling steps and not bowl anymore loose deliveries, then what good is he to the team? Taposh has to shoulder a lot of blame. Also the two warnings he received for running onto the middle of the pitch in his follow through didnt help our cause either.

What I did not like about Bashar's captaincy in this match is that he stuck with the same gameplan as Aus match. He had Mashrafee and Nazmul bowl at the death. he did not bring in Aftab or Rafiq earlier as the situation demanded (as pointed by many members). As the final score showed Aftab and Rafiq gave the least runs in the team. As for Nazmul, I dont think he did that bad considering he came in to bowl when Trescothik and Strauss were in marauding mood. I dont think brining in Asharful's gentle spin would have been a good option. For the entire tour Bashar has not asked Asharful to bowl many times. So in such a vital match it would have been ill advised.

bop
June 21, 2005, 08:51 PM
Basher is not a great captain, but today the first 30 over I have seen .. I thought he did well. I am not a Cricket pundit like many of you but he did every thing he could. He did change the bowling line as often as he could. If he did take off tapas after 2 overs those who are criticizing him for letting tapash keep bowling they would say “ why basher didn’t let tapash settle” . The match went to England’s hand by 4th over and there was nothing Basher or anyone could do to change it. They were on top of the game from the 2nd over.

LateCut
June 21, 2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by TheWatcher
Even Harmison was taken out of attack when he gave away 19 runs in one over. What made Bashar stick with Taposh?

Will somebody answer the question?

jabbar
June 21, 2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by aka
I say Tapash out and Rana in.... If only Enamul was still in England.

It's too late to bring back Enamul - he would need more match practice and "acclimatisation" before playing. I don't understand why they sent Enamul home.....

Rana, on the other hand, would be a good replacement for Tapash mia.

paco
June 21, 2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by bop
Basher is not a great captain, but today the first 30 over I have seen .. I thought he did well. I am not a Cricket pundit like many of you but he did every thing he could. He did change the bowling line as often as he could. If he did take off tapas after 2 overs those who are criticizing him for letting tapash keep bowling they would say “ why basher didn’t let tapash settle” . The match went to England’s hand by 4th over and there was nothing Basher or anyone could do to change it. They were on top of the game from the 2nd over.

Disagree !! Bashar seems to be an expert in keeping the fielders out of the areas the ball is being hit. Strauss scooped the ball up behind him thru third man for SEVEN boundaries, yes SEVEN !!! Even if I was dumb, I would get the clue, after say 3,4 times - but Bashar was completely clueless.

It would be fine if we were an associate nation playing the odd ODI here and there - but we're not. We are part of the "elite" 10, and we should be able to compete. That involves not only outbowling and outbatting your opponent every time, but rather playing good strategy. Bashar is completely unable to do so. Can anyone show me an example where we've won a match because of Bashar's "Strategery" (as G.W. Bush would say) ?

The obvious example has been pointed out already - Harmison, one of the most lethal fast bowlers today, was quickly taken off the attack and replaced with a bowler of completely different pace. On the other hand, Bashar finally replaced Tapash with a similar bowler.

Bashar goes into the game with a plan in his head, and seems unable to adjust no matter what. Not good, for the captain of a test team.

One update, according to BBC, here's what he said afterwards ... "England batted very well, but it's a pity we couldn't have batted out our 50 overs". Someone needs to tell him that we're past the point. It doesn't matter anymore whether we score 220 or 250 - what matters is whether we win or not. As a test nation, playing out 50 overs shouldn't be our primary goal.

Edited on, June 22, 2005, 3:20 AM GMT, by paco.

BanglaCool
June 21, 2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86

:up: :up:

ekatturerBangalee
June 21, 2005, 10:31 PM
Bashar bashing is becoming a good sport:yawn:

ekatturerBangalee
June 21, 2005, 10:34 PM
Aftab, Nafis, Tushar, Pilot and Bashar ---- They all failed miserably today.

Will we ever get a consistency in batting?

PoorFan
June 22, 2005, 03:07 AM
Bashar goes into the game with a plan in his head, and seems unable to adjust no matter what. Not good, for the captain of a test team.
This must be the main problem with Bashar's captaincy I think. Seems like he is unable to change game Strategy based on situation in the middle of the game for a long time.

kashful
June 22, 2005, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by TheWatcher

kashful
June 22, 2005, 04:45 AM
I do support you.... I just dont see any logic behind Taposh still bowling once he is doing all the no balls and giving away 4's and 6's. Bashar could try with Rafique or Aftab within 15 overs. But our great captain( ?) just dont want to try the thinngs.. He gave bowling Tushar but why not Ashraful.. ? Pls Bashar sometimes try to experiment the things, as you know sometimes it does work...
:fanflag:

Fortuner
June 22, 2005, 06:00 AM
Bashar is a light person. He aint like Chacha who have good cricketing sensebut wehate him coz of his display there in the field.

Bashar needs to take up some captaincy lessons...

and he cnat use Aftab in slog overs.....and he need to be more responsible even on the field along with while in batting...

paco
June 22, 2005, 01:20 PM
I know McInness used to frequent this board, and in the past we've had chat sessions with others as well. I'd be really interested in knowing what Athar Ali, Faruq, Whatmore and others think about Bashar's field positions and bowler rotations.

left-hander
June 22, 2005, 01:39 PM
Tapash is highly over rated. He should be dropped.

left-hander
June 22, 2005, 01:42 PM
The only change I would make is to drop Tapash and play Rajin. That will give us an extra batsman, an off spinner and a superb fielder.

reyme
June 22, 2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by ekatturerBangalee
Bashar bashing is becoming a good sport:yawn:

It is all for the good cause. We fans, love our team and we want the best for this team. If you go through the thread, you will see some constructive suggestions that people have put together which is useful advise for any captains.

If Captaincy was the only factor, then Bashar wont be even in this team unlike Shujan, he is here because he is arguably the best batsman in the team and his posistion is cemented. Captaincy requires a different quality which Bashar lacks immensly. This is a fact and confirmed by many arguments put together by the TV commentators.

Having said that we all want Bashar to prosper with Captaincy skills. Great captaicy can really win matches, Ganguly, Imran Khan has showed that time and again with much weaker team!

ReckmyBack
June 22, 2005, 02:58 PM
What's the point to open the thread like this ? When we won against Aussies then i have seen the topic called Bashar captaincy .. Now the dumb captaincy caz we lost . We are last ranked team , don't forget that . You guys will appreciate Bashar again when he wins again . He has to be defensive caz that's how he got used now after loosing so many games . So , no offence .

Edited on, June 22, 2005, 7:58 PM GMT, by ReckmyBack.

paco
June 22, 2005, 04:41 PM
Yes, there is a point to this thread. This forum is for discussions on all aspects of Bangladesh cricket. If you don't like it, don't read it.

No one praised Bashar's captaincy after the Australia win. It wasn't Bashar's captaincy that won as that match, but Ashraful's (and to a lesser extent, Aftab's and Bashar's) batting that won it for us.

CricPagol
June 22, 2005, 04:53 PM
I was surprised that Ash was not bowling. With his mind set for the last couple days he could have been effective.

TheWatcher
June 22, 2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by CricPagol
I was surprised that Ash was not bowling. With his mind set for the last couple days he could have been effective.
I don't think Ash was doing much of bowling practice lately while he was struggling so much to get his batting straight. I don't think Bashar made a big mistake by not giving the ball to him.

TheWatcher
June 23, 2005, 02:16 PM
So, winning or loosing, the toss does not matter-
"We also had a plan to bowl first at Trent Bridge against England and I'm relieved that I called the coin correctly. The information we gathered is that at Trent Bridge the ball does a bit in the first hour. But we bowled badly in the first 15 overs," Bashar said.
How was he expecting extra assistance from the pitch middle of a warm day?

Again, all he cares about is "honourable" defeats-
"Our target is to play positive cricket no matter we win or lose. We have beaten Australia but at the same time we also know that victory will not come quite often for us. What we can to do is play positive and fight till the end," Bashar said.
As McInnes said, you will never win if you don't play for it.

From DS Report (http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/06/24/d50624040231.htm)

Edited on, June 23, 2005, 7:18 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Reason: Added URL