PDA

View Full Version : Mashud steps down

Ehsan
March 25, 2003, 06:36 PM
Sports Reporter

Bangladesh captain Khaled Mashud has tendered his resignation to BCB president Ali Asghar on Monday.
"I have sent a letter to the Board president asking him to relieve me of my duties as captain," Mashud told the Daily Star Sport over phone last night.

"I took the decision so that the Board could get sufficient time to find a replacement before the tri-series and Test matches against South Africa next month," he said.

While Board officials confirmed that Mashud had sent a letter to the president but they are yet to know the contents since the BCB president was out of the country. He is expected to return from South Africa today.

"I have enjoyed every moment on the field as Bangladesh captain, but I did not enjoy anything off the field," he said.

"Let me give you an example, the chief selector (Aliul Islam) announced two teams for an exhibition match tomorrow, but he never liked talking to me about it," he explained. The jovial Rajshahi stumper has led Bangladesh in 10 Tests and 23 ODIs since taking over the helm from Namiur Rahman in November 2001.

"Once you're made captain there is no opportunity to express one's views so that is why the job is not at all enjoying anymore," said the 27-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman who proved to be a born leader who could take any pressure on the field.

Mashud had indicated before the World Cup in South Africa that he would be stepping down from international cricket to spend more time with his family.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

I really feel very sad for this guy. He tried his best to bring our team some wins but failed due to the uncporation of other team members. He is the only one who cares for our country's cricket. From my point view I vote Masud the best Captain for BD.

[Edited on 25-3-2003 by ehsan]

fwullah
March 25, 2003, 10:32 PM
But he did drop catches and misfielded a few times. So no matter how passionate he is for cricket and for Bangladesh, I personally will not forgive him.

To me, he is a player who could not perform with the burden of captancy on his shoulders at some crucial stages.

Nasif
March 25, 2003, 11:09 PM
I agree with Fahmida. As a wicket keeper you can't drop regulation catches. Within last six months I saw Masud drop 3 catches (one vs NZ in Champ trophy, 2 during this cup). Drops against Kenya is just unforgiveable.

His only achievement was his batting in some crucial moments. Other than that his captaincy was pretty dumb. Specially his bowling rotation was just plain pathetic.

I sure won't miss him as a captain.