PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there will a NHL season this year?

Locutus
June 28, 2005, 09:09 AM
Have your say.

Edited on, June 28, 2005, 8:53 PM GMT, by Logen.

Akib
June 28, 2005, 09:22 AM
I think there will be a new season. The two sides are working hard on negotiations unlike before. But next year there probably wont be All Star game because of Olympics..

Anyways i think that the NHL cant afford to lose another game to lockout as it has hurt them a lot and a lot of fans have left.

cricman
June 28, 2005, 06:22 PM
The only reason the NHL was popular 10 years was because the Big Market Teams had the big stars and they were winning!

NY Rangers - Messier
LA Kings - Gretzky
Montreal - Roy
Chicago - Roenick

Now teams like Tampa Bay are winning the stanley cup and teams like NY,LA and Chicago suck.

Believe me the NHL was Bigger than Than the NBA 10 year ago

Akib
June 28, 2005, 08:48 PM
Also there are a lot of small market teams who are playing. Like Nashville... i mean how many people from Nashville would watch hockey. Also you see that the only teams with good players are the ones with a alot of money (not always the case but mostly it is). Examples were the Rangers a few years ago and the Avalanche of today.

Fazal
June 29, 2005, 12:18 PM
Care less. I hope it doesn't come back. Never ever... atleast not in DC.

al
June 29, 2005, 12:35 PM
I hope, it does come back. Go San Jose SHARKS

Locutus
June 29, 2005, 01:02 PM
If NHL does come back. Do you think it will be with a Salary Cap?
The way I see it, that is the only solution.

mahbubH
June 29, 2005, 01:33 PM
JovoKop

Locutus
June 29, 2005, 02:02 PM
Yea what about Ed Jovanaski?

Akib
June 30, 2005, 09:30 AM
There is a salary cap at 35 million i think.... THis will hurt leafs as they only hav 8 players under contract and thats already 28 million.

Mahir
July 1, 2005, 03:39 PM
it will not hurt the Leafs as an organization, but its high priced will have to accept a salary cut, since their Union is going to agree to the deal. Sundin will have to play with a salary of around $6-7 M instead of the $10+ M that he was supposed to make.

And yes, the season is going to take place this year, as the two sides will announce the new agreement as early as next week.

Locutus
July 2, 2005, 10:05 AM
Yes, some star players like Sundin will have to take salary cut. Also the leafs might not re-sign big name players like Robert and Domi. Instead of them getting 2-3 millions (US), they might give a way for their minnor league players like Wellwood. They also might trade some players like Owen Nolan, as he is eatting a big chunk of their payroll.

Mahir
July 2, 2005, 11:03 AM
hmm... well, word is that roberts and nieuwendyk are saying that they would like to stay in toronto even with a significant salary cut. And for sure, big-spending clubs like the leafs will have a new team... But again, it all depends on the GM, and certainly, ferguson jr will be the GM with the trickiest role in terms of setting up the team for next season, simply because the leafs one of those big-spending clubs, who, unlike detroit and philadelphia, havent developed players from the draft as much. No doubt the leafs have been very successful in the free agent dept, but it will be sure interesting to see how ferguson jr pulls it though.

By the way, the leafs have resigned pat quinn to a new two-year contract, which i think is a very very good decision.

Locutus
July 13, 2005, 05:39 AM
Looks a a deal will not be reached by end of this week. Now the owners want 20 teams instead of 16 teams in the playoffs.
I think it is crazy. Twenty teams means one more round in the playoffs and ofcourse more money for the owners. Players will be tired and the game will borring because the playoffs will be too long.
I was very confident that the league was going to announce a new deal on Monday July 11. But I was wrong:(.

Beamer
July 13, 2005, 11:52 AM
Salary cap is necessary if the NHL ever want to be a success like NFL. Otherwise, it will always be the big guns gunning for it everyyear with their inflated budget that the smaller teams can't afford. But, money always can't buy everything. It was so heartening to see the likes of Minnesota, Tampa, Calgary etc..doing so well in the last few years and competing for the Stanley Cup. What is the purpose of the draft then if a small market team consistently loses their good young players to big teams after he matures and comes into the spotlight? How many great Penguins that we lost after being drafted by us and only to lose them for greener pasture? The saddest moment for me was to see Jagr leave. Don't want to see that happening again.

cricman
July 13, 2005, 12:16 PM
It's Over (http://sports.channel.aol.com/redir.adp?_type=click&_p=us+sports&_m=a1+1+info%5fdynamicleadlarge+60860+%7bSP+%2d+NH L+%2d+DL+%2d++Lockout+Over+%287%2f13%29%7d+0+%7b%7 d&_s=hdlnfetr%5f1&_u=http%3a%2f%2faolsvc%2enews%2eaol%2ecom%2fsports %2farticle%2eadp%3fid%3d20050713125009990008)

They got the deal done it only took them 301 days but they did it.

Mahir
July 13, 2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Locutus
Now the owners want 20 teams instead of 16 teams in the playoffs. I think it is crazy. Twenty teams means one more round in the playoffs and ofcourse more money for the owners. Players will be tired and the game will borring because the playoffs will be too long.

I beg to differ here. The extra round, that will be played within 6 days right after the regular season, will be between teams 7/10 and teams 8/9, and this preliminary round will only be a best of three. I think this will actually make the playoffs more interesting, as a wider range of teams are now going to get the chance to drink off the Cup. There are a few more rules changes along with today's termination of the lockout.

Akib
July 13, 2005, 01:27 PM
Yes.. deal is done. Now the free agents stampede and the Syndey Crosby Sweepstakes start. 60% of league are free agents now...

As for my teams I hope Toronto can survive this cap. I know Nolan is out. Leetch is probably gone. Also Antrapov should be let go.

Mahir
July 13, 2005, 01:39 PM
well, the situation with Toronto is that they have four forwards (Sundin, Nolan, Stajan, Tucker), three defencemen (Kaberle, Klee and McCabe) and goaltender Belfour signed to contracts. Those players are set to make about $27 M next season, and that's taking into account the 24 per cent rollback that will be part of the new CBA.

But the likes of Robers, Nieuwendyk and Domi will have to accept a huge pay-cut if they are to return with the Leafs.

In essence, there's lots to do for GM Ferguson Jr. this summer to reset the Leafs team. Read this article (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050713_131158_5860) if you are interested.

Locutus
July 13, 2005, 02:25 PM
They have not announced the deal and will not till next week. So keep your finger crossed!
I am very excited! Let the game begin!

Akib
July 13, 2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Locutus
They have not announced the deal and will not till next week. So keep your finger crossed!
I am very excited! Let the game begin!

the deal is done. Every one knows that. Next week is just the ratification process.

Anyways Leafs are lucky that they have a lot of free agents. Also we are lucky that we are a hockey hotbed and that players want to play here. We just have to hope that young prospects would want to come here for less salary than other places.

Edited on, July 13, 2005, 7:36 PM GMT, by Akib.

Locutus
July 13, 2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Akib
the deal is done. Every one knows that. Next week is just the ratification process.

Anyways Leafs are lucky that they have a lot of free agents. Also we are lucky that we are a hockey hotbed and that players want to play here. We just have to hope that young prospects would want to come here for less salary than other places.

I didn't know it but I do now from Yahoo sports. I guess don't spent time enough on computer or watching TV. Anyways very nice. Will be very interesting what the Leafs do.

Mahir
July 13, 2005, 11:12 PM
yes, not only the leafs, but clubs like detroit, ny rangers, philadelphia will also have to refrain themselves from spending their way out.

Akib
July 14, 2005, 11:51 AM
I fell sorry for the Islanders. Buying out Yashin is financially crippling (28 million). Yet his salary is high.

cricman
July 14, 2005, 02:57 PM
I fell sorry for the Islanders. Buying out Yashin is financially crippling (28 million). Yet his salary is high.

10 year contract! they wont buy him out. I hope the Rangers dump all these old hasbeens on there team. Start with Holik and let him go back to NJ get back Leetch and keep Jagr.

The best chant in all of hockey @ the garden again " Fire Sather" "Fire Sather " he's washed up too he got lucky by drafting messier and Gretzky and won cups of them. He's like Phil Jackson a Fraud.

BTW : hear the rumor that the # 1 draft pick will go either to the Rangers, Blackhawks, Mapleleafs or Kings.

Akib
July 14, 2005, 06:18 PM
Your rumor is false. It could go to anyone...

Second of all Sather never drafted Gretzky. He got him in a trade of free agent. Not sure which.

Mahir
July 17, 2005, 09:34 AM
Your rumor is false. It could go to anyone...

Even though it could go to anyone, but more accurately, the lowest few teams from the last season's standings will have the best shot at picking Crosby. The leafs, senators and canadiens have about 2% chance each.

Second of all Sather never drafted Gretzky. He got him in a trade of free agent. Not sure which.

whats a trade of free agent ? free agents dont belong to a team! :P Gretzy was indeed acquired through a trade. But it was Glen Sather as the Edmonton Oilers GM to send Gretzky to Los Angeles Kings. Number 99, along with Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley was sent to the Kings in return for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas and the Kings' first round draft picks for 1989, 1991 and 1993.

Oh, Edmonton also got $15 million (canadian) from the Kings.

Edited on, July 17, 2005, 2:37 PM GMT, by MasterBlaster.
Reason: added the 15 million part!

Mahir
July 17, 2005, 09:45 AM
actually, cricman is partially right. Gretzky was actually claimed by Edmonton Oilers as a Priority Selection in 1979's Expansion Draft after he was traded to Edmonton's WHA team from Indianapolis Racers' WHA team.