PDA

View Full Version : Akram or Mahmud?

Ehsan
March 28, 2003, 05:20 PM
New skipper could be named today

Sports Reporter

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Ali Asghar and his 11-member advisory council will sit for the first time after the country's disastrous World Cup campaign today.
Top of the agenda will be the appointment of a new national skipper following the resignation of Khaled Mashud.

Mashud, who took over from all-rounder Naimur Rahman in November 2001, tendered his resignation on March 25. The 27-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman from Rajshahi had expressed a desire of wanting to quit the hot seat before the team left for South Africa. The Board is expected to accept his resignation.

After leading Bangladesh in 10 Tests and 23 one-day internationals, Mashud recently said he was not enjoying anything off the pitch.

Former skipper Akram Khan, who led Bangladesh from 1996-98 and was instrumental in lifting the ICC Trophy in Malaysia in 1997, is tipped to succeed Mashud.

However, if the Board overlooks the prolific Chittagonian then most likely, the mantle of responsibility will pass on to another veteran campaigner in all-rounder Khaled Mahmud.

"We have to appoint a captain before the next home series. Hopefully it will be done tomorrow," said BCB advisor and chairman cricket committee Mahbubul Anam yesterday adding that Khaled Mashud did not resign from the captaincy.

"He was appointed until the World Cup and he wrote in his letter he did not wish to be considered for the post again. So it is irrelevant to say that he actually stepped down," said Anam.

Besides, the meeting will discuss matters relating to the holding of the tri-series involving South Africa and India. The tournament begins on April 11.

It will be preceded by a two-Test series between Bangladesh and South Africa.

The meeting will also okay the budget for the tri-series tournament and the Test series. Chief selector Aliul Islam is likely to submit a 15-member list for the one-day competition.

Mahbub revealed that Board would be naming a new team manager since the contract of ASM Faruque ended after the World Cup.

Either former national captain Faruque Ahmed or opener Athar Ali Khan are tipped to get the job according to sources close to the Board.

Anam, however, was unable to clarify whether the Board would be ending Mohsin Kamal stint as Bangladesh coach and unveil plans for a replacement.

The former Pakistan paceman took charge from Australian Trevor Chappell who was sacked mid-way through his tenure.

"We don't have that in our agenda for the day. As far as I know, his contract is up to April 30," Anam said

fwullah
March 28, 2003, 11:06 PM
No other paper has given as importance to Khaled Mahmud being the skipper as Daily Star. So I think that there is not much reality in that.

James90
March 28, 2003, 11:58 PM
Well we'll soon see what will happen...someone a while ago said Minhazul Abidin was the best captain ever even though he only captained for 2 games.....he wasn't given any thought

Tehsin
March 29, 2003, 12:28 AM
Too old, currently not in form. He wasn't picked when he was in form, they just killed his international career because they had the power. :)

As for Akram and Mahmud. Akram has a max of 2 years of cricket left in him if he is lucky. Mahmud is a little younger then him but I really don't know much about his leadership ability to comment on him. However, the little guy is a tenacious crickete. A true fighter and if he weren't dropped so many times in the WC, could have taken many more wickets.

fwullah
March 29, 2003, 03:42 AM
Not to mention the dropped catches in the matches that he did play.

shahid
March 29, 2003, 04:42 AM
Nannu should come back for the tri-series i think. Akram could be a better captain than Mahmud.

Shubho
March 29, 2003, 09:29 AM
is not as important as what he does with the captaincy, and the 'words of wisdom' he will get from the coach. We have no born captains, we need to produce them. The only way to do that is for the coach to play an active part, and the captain himself to take the initiative by 'studying' the art of captaincy. He could, for example, talk to former internationals from around the world, study tape after tape of matches, observing what other captains do in various situations, etc. Above all, the guy needs to be committed and strong-willed. Akram never struck me as captain-material. Sujon may be a better choice, but we'll have to wait and see.

[Edited on 29-3-2003 by Shubho]

fwullah
March 29, 2003, 11:43 AM
Well Sujon is the captain.

I voted for Sujon in one of the polls simply because his captancy is not tested yet, rather than Akram's captancy skills.