PDA

View Full Version : Asia Cup 2003

amit
April 4, 2003, 08:46 AM
I posted this topic in my forum, so I am posting it here.

The Asia Cup 2003 is going to be held in Sri Lanka in August this year. In that month, Asian countries don't have any tours and BD's tour to AUS is ending on 6th August and the Asia Cup will be held from 10th - 27th August 2003 (Dates are yet to be finalised).

The Asia Cup would see the ODI debuts of Hong Kong as well as the return of UAE with a better looking team to international Cricket after a gap of 7 years. They were last seen in action in the 1996 World Cup where they beat Holland. These 2 teams were the finalists in the 2000 ACC Trophy. For them this tournament would provide them a rare opportunity to gain experience and test themselves against their heroes.

Nepal have qualified for the next edition in 2005 alongwith UAE and these 2 teams were the finalists in the 2002 ACC Trophy. Nepal are a fast-developing team and I wouldn't be surprised if they can pull off an upset in the 2005 Asia Cup.

6 Teams including the 4 Asian test-playing nations and 2 ACC Associates UAE and Hong Kong would take part in the biggest non-ICC tournament. The last 6 nation tournament was held in UAE as the Australasia Cup where UAE made their ODI debuts.

For Bangladesh, It can be a golden opportunity to register few ODI wins, something which they have been badly in search for. Their lowest point came in this World Cup where they couldn't even beat the ICC Associates in Canada and Kenya with the loss to Canada being the more embarrasing of the two.

Hoping to see a great ODI tournament take place.

fwullah
April 4, 2003, 10:35 AM
I heard it before in Star Sports that it is going to be held in Sri Lanka in mid-August, wasn't sure about the date (10th August - 27th August).

Do you have any idea of how the format would be like?

With 6 teams, there has to be 2 pools, where 3 teams will fit into one group.

But I would prefer to see just 1 single group. Although it might turn out to be the last ICC Knockout held in Sri Lanka, but it will be beneficial for Bangladesh, Hong Kong and UAE if these 3 teams can play 5 ODIs each instead of just 2 ODIs.

However, if there are 2 pools, there is also the factor of one strong team would end up getting more favors than others because then one team would be facing more easy matches than the other two strong teams.

Like for example, if say for an example Sri Lanka and Pakistan play in 1 pool, and India play in another pool which involves Bangladesh, and the other ACC team, then India will be getting the favor and Sri Lanka and Pakistan will be getting just one ACC team - which would be unfair to both Sri Lanka and Pakistan.

So, what do you think? 2 groups where all will get to play just 2 ODIs OR just 1 single group with 2 ODIs where everybody gets to play others once?

Mahmood
April 4, 2003, 11:37 AM
Will India play?

fwullah
April 4, 2003, 11:52 AM
Its a good joke Rajputro.

amit, Rajputro said it because we have discussed about the same tournament earlier under another topic somewhere.

shahid
April 5, 2003, 03:12 AM
Amit,

thanks for the date but this topic has been discussed earlier. welcome to our boards and nice to see a helpful post from you.