PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry Committee Update

Sham
April 4, 2003, 05:01 PM
The BCB Inquiry Committee is still at work and likely to be at it for another month or so. Apparently the deeper they dig, the bigger the cracks get.

Anyway, they are close to wrapping up their investigation of the world cup. They have decided to look into the financial accounts of the BCB next as there has been a lot of allegations of irregularities. They expect that to take some time. Their report is not likely before sometime in early to mid May. I can tell you now that a major part of their recommendations will be to restructure and depoliticize the BCB.

[Edited on 4-4-2003 by Sham]

Mahmood
April 4, 2003, 05:39 PM
The longer it will take, the less importent it will become. I think its already too late.

Didnt it start as the investigation what went wrong in WC? Who will care after 3 months?

This might just be another report that never meets public.

Sham
April 4, 2003, 05:53 PM
Yes, it was meant to be an inquiry into the world cup debacle but after public (Saber) and media pressure, the overall workings of the BCB and the general state of cricket in Bangladesh was included in the Inquiry Committee Terms of Reference. That takes a lot of time because in any inquiry of this type, you get a lot of conflicting reports and its takes time to substantiate them all. Mahbub says one thing, Aliul says the complete opposite, that sort of thing. The committee has had to call back some people for multiple interviews because there has been so many conflicting allegations. Anyway, the picture is becoming more clear now.

Talking of Saber, he has agreed to appear before the committee sometime next week I believe.

ps. The BCB has never been investigated before, atleast not at this scale, so no such report has ever been published in the past.