PDA

View Full Version : Nafis Iqbal

Zobair
April 5, 2003, 12:46 AM
How good is this guy?
In the past few months I have heard his name mentioned a few times for his good batting performances...

has any of you guys seen him in action? Is he a genuine prospect?

[Edited on 5-4-2003 by pompous]

Sham
April 5, 2003, 01:44 AM
Yes, he is a genuine prospect. I have not seen him play but I have been following his career over the last couple of years. He first came to our notice as the captain of the under 17 side. I think he will be knocking on the doors of the national team before too long, especially if he keeps this form up.

Tehsin
April 6, 2003, 01:23 AM
We are talking about Akram Khan's nephew here - For Bangladesh standards, he is a great potential. He has been playing for Bangladesh age groups for 3/4 years now and was being groomed as a future captain. However, that will have to wait as he is too young and also because there was a lot of problem with the team (the one that beat India but lost to NEPAL) as the reports suggested that he wasn't too popular in the team.

Apart from that, he is a very promising opener. Has done great for Chittagong and his Dhaka sides and will make a good impact for the national team if he can stay focussed on the game (once you wear that national jersey - you tend to forget how to play cricket - as was displayed in the world cup this year).

Ehsan
April 6, 2003, 02:17 AM
Did we try nafis in our A team? I think we should try him in the A team before we think him to get in the national team.

Our A team should make some international tours which would give them some experience and for us some experiments.

Zobair
April 6, 2003, 04:30 AM
every player should be made to work real hard before getting (back) into the national team...not just a few glimpses of talent...it generally gets to our players' head...look at the Australians....They literally become world beaters even before they make it to the top tier...none of them seem to make it to the national team before their early 20s...and once they are there...they value it so much... they just don't wanna give up the little window of opportunity that they get.

fwullah
April 6, 2003, 04:49 AM
I think Ashraful and Nafis Iqbal opened together at the age group level.

samircreep
April 7, 2003, 03:15 AM
Nafis lived a couple of blocks away from me and we both grw up playing in our Mohammadpur Stryker's Field against local and other school teams.Both of us used to open the innings.Since I was a very nervous opener, I remember him coming over to me saying, "Chinta koren na Samir Bhai, shala faltu bowler kono line length nai!" But that was almost ten years ago.

I distinctly remeber that he was such a distinct striker of the ball. But what really awed me was how he picked up the length so early.To him, all the bowlers were really faltu. Wish I could have said the same for moi.

Anyways, I still think it's too early for him to play in the national squad.He doesnt have a single A team cap on his name and hasnt done well against a single overseas team so far, although he's had limited chances.So I say let's send him away to the next A team tour, whenever thatz coming up.

shahid
April 7, 2003, 11:37 AM
Samircreep, I like your suggestion. Nafis seems to be a bright prosepect for our team. He will do well.

Pundit
April 7, 2003, 12:01 PM
Samir -

You ought to have said - "A little story about a LITTLE boy," instead !!

How old was Nafis 10 yrs back ?
Playing with a tennis ball ?
Al-Shariar has the same swagger, doesn't he ? But look what good that has done to him ?

Mahmood
April 7, 2003, 03:46 PM
Most of you already know, but if anyone here didnt know, Nafees is Akram's nephew.

So the cricket is in the blood.

Sham
April 7, 2003, 04:43 PM
Pundit bhai, some cricketers show signs of things to come at a very early age. So even if Nafis was nine years old ten years ago, the fact that he was picking up the bowler's length early is a good sign.

Also, for Bangladeshi conditions, taped tennis is actually better than a cricket ball, or so I feel. Both as a batsman and a bowler I prefer playing with taped tennis in Dhaka. As a batsman, taped tennis comes on to the bat quicker. And as a bowler, taped tennis both bounces and skids more than a cricket ball depending on the bowler's wrist action. And of course, taped tennis swings more than a cricket ball. A cricket ball does very little on Dhaka pitches, it doesnt swing much, doesn't bounce, doesn't come on to the bat very well either, which is why our batsmen are so technically inadequate. You only need to play according to the length, drive if its full or cut and pull if the ball pitches short.

Zobair
April 8, 2003, 04:34 PM
speaking of potential...what happened to that pacer Shafaq? From what I remember he had some promise. Does any one have any news on this boy?

Mahmood
April 8, 2003, 04:43 PM
He was playing in the Development XI in the premier League. Soon we will see him in the A team.

He is on the making.

Tehsin
April 8, 2003, 05:43 PM
I believe BCB is holding back on them after the recent failure of some of their former colleagues(sp) for the national team.

Shafaq was picked by Holding along with Masri as the future of BD pace attack. He did hae some excelent games but he still has time. Don't want another Masri/Sharif.

Ehsan
April 8, 2003, 06:42 PM
I would say to try out all the promising players in the A team as there won't much risk to try them in A. All the promising players should get a chance to show up.