PDA

View Full Version : Whatmore to coach Indian Junior Cricketers

fwullah
April 5, 2003, 12:10 PM
In the continuing migration season for coaches, Dav Whatmore has been touted to be the next man in charge of India’s junior cricket. According to a report in The Hindu, Whatmore - who is about to step down as Sri Lanka's coach - has favourably responded to an initial approach by the Indian board. (Apr 5)

Source: Wisden (http://www.wisden.com/news/news.asp?colid=44120595)

Piranha
April 5, 2003, 02:35 PM
Damn! We missed him. Did the board even try to get Whatmore's services?

Mahmood
April 5, 2003, 05:21 PM
Sigh.

Sham
April 5, 2003, 05:36 PM
No, we havent missed him yet! I think the BCB is trying to get Whatmore. "Favourably responding to an initial approach" doesn't mean jack. Of course, he might turn down the BCB and go to India anyway, but we haven't lost him yet!

Ehsan
April 6, 2003, 02:21 AM
Forget abt Whatmore. If he comes then it would be great and if not it will be still okay as our team don't learn much from the coaches and even if they learn it, they forget every simple basics when it comes to the the international matches.

Now back to the point, Does anyone know if BCB is trying to get an International coach or not and if they are then whom are they dealing with?

[Edited on 6-4-2003 by ehsan]

Mahmood
April 6, 2003, 03:42 AM
BCB believes in secracy. They dont announce anything early. You will know once a deal is made.

BCB will get an international coach. Dont know when.

shahid
April 7, 2003, 11:29 AM
I dont think Whatmore should have been the correct guy now for us. We should try and get him after 5 more years. We must look at someone who has coached BD before.

Tehsin
April 7, 2003, 11:00 PM
He knows basics
He knows how a team like ours work (he got an Unknown Lankan side to world cup victory - he can surely help us win a few matches).
He has a god understanding of the game from a underdogs point of view.

I'l let the others add a few more.
As for someone who had coached us before ?

Barlow - was doing well before his unfortunate illness. That was a big loss for BD.

Greenidge is more into GREEN (money) and his wife is very very demanding.
Amarnath ? You got to be kidding me

Trevor chappel - Are you serious?
Mohsin Kamal - Pilot would rather try to coach the team himself (as he allegedly did) then leave it to Mohsin. Lack of personality. If he can't earn their respect, how is he going to teach anyone.

By the way - from all the nws, we get the general feeling that majority of the team members are BEYADOBs. They have their superstar complex hindering their growth as cricketers.

Sham
April 8, 2003, 03:08 AM
I agree with Tehsin bhai. Whatmore would be ideal for us as coach. The two things he stressed with Sri Lanka are hard work and team spirit, and look where it got them. Even in 1995, no one would have believed that SL would win the world cup a year later. But they did. He turned them into a cohesive hard working unit. Maybe he can do the same for us.