PDA

View Full Version : Very meaningful poll

James90
April 8, 2003, 05:02 AM
I had a big debate about the pronounciation of Zimbabwe. I've always said Zimbabway but this Zimbabwean sys Zimbabweeee.......i listened to a speach with Henry Olonga from his hidey-hole and he said and sang Zimbabway although the Zimbabwean said that's cos Olonga's a Kenyan......what do you say???

shahid
April 8, 2003, 05:06 AM
It doesn't matter. BD is going to be better than Zim within a year.

Sham
April 8, 2003, 09:31 AM
Always said Zimbabway myself, but we are both following the British pronunciation. May well be Zimbabwee, but I could swear that I've heard Zimbabweans say Zimbabway.

Tehsin
April 8, 2003, 05:36 PM
Any Zimbabwean input on this ?

Ehsan
April 8, 2003, 07:45 PM
hahahah!!!!

Sub: Very Meaningful poll ????

I understand your reason to put that as the the subject.

Well your topic is quite useful. Like all of us here I pronounce it as Zimbabway too.

I think we should pronounce the way the native people pronounce it. If they pronuonce it like Zimbabwee then we will have to hang with it.

Here is what we need to get clear and make sure if the the native people of Zimbabwe really pronounce it like Zimbabwee. We need coments from people in this topic to clear the problem.

[Edited on 9-4-2003 by ehsan]

Piranha
April 8, 2003, 09:30 PM
Does your Zimbabwean friend have a distinct "African" accent? That might account for the pronounciation. That doesn't solve the question at hand though...hmm...
I have always said "Zimbabway". I'll ask a Zimbabwean friend of mine if I can get hold of him.

Btw, I once told him that we'd beat Zimb in cricket very soon. Since then I havent brought up the topic of cricket with him ;)

Tehsin
April 8, 2003, 09:56 PM
Isn't Zimbabwe formerly Rhodesia ?

Sham
April 8, 2003, 10:02 PM
Yes it was Rhodesia. Hehe, maybe we should start calling it that again since we all know how to pronounce that. Just kidding. Ehsan is right though, we should pronounce it the way the natives pronounce it.

Arnab
April 8, 2003, 10:17 PM
How do you pronounce "France"? Like the natives?

Ehsan
April 8, 2003, 10:23 PM
Arnab bhai thats a different story. It is just the english which is creating the problem in the pronounciation.

Say for example how would you feel when an engish or any one pronounces your name 'Aernab'. You won't like it definately. That is what we are tought in Canada, pronounce the way (native) it is pronounced.

Names matter when you pronounce whether it is the name of a place or person.

[Edited on 9-4-2003 by ehsan]

Sham
April 8, 2003, 10:47 PM
Yes Arnab, I have started pronouncing France like the natives. As well as Italia, Espana, Deutschland, Norge, Danmark, Polska, Ukrayina and the list goes on. How the Brits made Deutschland Germany, I will never know. How did Dhivehi Raajje become Maldives, Drukyul become Bhutan, Nippon become Japan, Zhong Guo become China? I don't know. You tell me.

Arnab
April 8, 2003, 10:50 PM
I am impressed. :)

Sham
April 8, 2003, 11:32 PM
Actually, it might have been the ancient Romans that started calling Germany Germania, not the Brits. Not sure, I'll have to look it up. But as for the Asian name changes, thats Britain's work mostly.

Then again, the French call England Engleterre and Germany Allemagne! What is up with that? And how did we make Turkey Turushko? Its Turkiye in Turkish! Every language has distorted the names of countries. Wish that wasn't the case.

[Edited on 9-4-2003 by Sham]

Arnab
April 8, 2003, 11:39 PM
Well, English is basically Anglo-saxon + Norman(romance), so the word germany must have come from the Anglo saxon heritage.

Arnab
April 8, 2003, 11:44 PM
You're right about germania, which came from the germani tribe. There also lived an allemani tribe in that region, which has made the french call the country "Allemagne". "Deutschland" means "Country of the Dutch". So basically Germans call themselves dutch all the time.

[Edited on 9-4-2003 by Arnab]

James90
April 9, 2003, 03:36 AM
Hmm he said like everyone in Zombo says wee and yes he does have an accent....i thought he was South African before i got to meet him

Australia is Australia in every language

Ao da li ya (Mandarin)
Australien (German) but before that in was called New Holland and before that the Abbo's called it something......DOORBIN you know?

Mahmood
April 9, 2003, 10:06 AM
Actually James, Australia is pronounced Austreylia in Bangladesh.

James90
April 13, 2003, 06:33 AM
I showed him this topic at school and he just got annoyed and said we're all idiots

Ehsan
April 13, 2003, 01:50 PM
I don't understand James wts so idiot abt this topic :o Why does he feel like dat?

[Edited on 13-4-2003 by ehsan]

James90
April 13, 2003, 05:32 PM
He says we're idiots cos we say it wrong and he himself is a Zimbo