PDA

View Full Version : Will Australian cricket collapse like West Indies ?

shahid
April 9, 2003, 01:04 AM
I think that Aussie cricket is going to collapse like West Indies and their all-conquering team looks too old like the all-conquering WI team. When all the WIn greats like Lloyd, Haynes, Greenedge, Holding, Richards and all retired by 1990, everyone knows what happened next. Since 1983, the twice world champions WI havent reached the next stage even in the world cups except 1996 when they made it to the semi-finals. For Australia, I think the future looks something like the West Indies. Even though WI has some exciting youngsters like Sarwan, Hinds, Gayle, Lawson and some more but they are nowhere close to the 80's greats like Lloyd, Holding, Haynes, Greenidge, Richards and the lot.

Although Australia has many top players of the world but now most of them are over 30 and once Ponting, Gilchrist, McGrath and all retire, their cricket will be same as that of West Indies.

Aus and WI have had similar WC records, both made 3 consecutive finals and won 2 consecutive WCs but both of them have suffered the age problem.

Now, who you think are going to be the next all-conquering team now. No one knows what is going to happen in cricket over the next 20 years and Australian cricket will never be the same again.

Sham
April 9, 2003, 01:54 AM
I don't agree with you. The age problem might cause Australia a short-term problem while their youngsters find their feet in international cricket (they usually don't take too long), but I don't see anyone else dominating in the near future. There may be teams that get close to Australia but I really don't see another "all-conquering" team in the forseeable future. If there is an "all-conquering" team, it will be Australia. There are many reasons for the decline of the West Indians in the 90s. I don't see Australia having the same problems. They have the best cricketing infrastructure and the best talent pool. Their A side will beat most Test sides quite comfortably. I hope though that the other teams catch up so cricket becomes competetive again.

Zobair
April 9, 2003, 02:44 AM
Australia has an awesome domestic cricket structure. They have a huge player base. They have a huge fan base. They have the best cricket academy. They have a very professional cricket board. Their whole strategy is to stay ahead of the game. They have successfully tied up all lose ends so far.
Australia will dominate for sometime to come as long as they don't let their success get to their head, and unless one of the other sides comes up with a better gameplan than the aussies. In fact other countries, particularly BCB would do well to take a leaf out of the aussie experience.

[Edited on 9-4-2003 by pompous]

James90
April 9, 2003, 03:29 AM
Australia will go thru a lean patch when McGrath, Warne, Lehmann, Hayden, Langer, Bichel, Waugh all retire but that will leave then with Lee, Gillespie, Ponting, maybe Gilchrist then ppl like Clarke who have a couple of games experience like Love and once they get suited to test cricket Australia will pick right back up again

amit
April 9, 2003, 07:53 AM
Australian cricket would take around 4 years to collapse and India are going to be the next all conquering team. We Indians have the largest fan base and player base and there is no doubt that India would be the next all conquering team.

Banglatiger84
April 9, 2003, 12:20 PM
we have been hearing that india will dominate for the last 20 years, yet India have never been consistently one of the top 2 or 3 sides.

Australia will be the best as long as another country rises up and their own standards fall after some retirements.

When the west indies began to decline australia and pakistan took over. the former had border, boon and the waughs while the latter had akram and younis aloong with saeed anwar and inzamam.

I dont see any new strong generation as far as the current teams are concerned.

Arnab
April 9, 2003, 02:10 PM
I will sound like a racist and a bigot to say that India will not become an all-conquering team any time soon, because Indian players are generally stupid. Out of 1 billion people they can't even produce 3 decent fast bowlers. Plus there's too much politics and money involved in their selection process.

Bottomline: Indian players are stupid. Or more aptly "Gordovs." Stupid teams don't become the best. Period.

[Edited on 9-4-2003 by Arnab]

Mohammad
April 9, 2003, 02:59 PM
yes, one day evey empire has to fall!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Sham
April 9, 2003, 07:10 PM
India has ALWAYS had the largest fan base and player base. If that meant anything, the top teams in cricket would have been India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. And China would be the best football team in the world. And New Zealand with their 4 million rugby loving people might as well give up playing cricket. Largest player base means jack. Australia is just a dozen times better. As long as India doctors their pitches to suit their spinners, they will never be a cricketing force outside of the sub-continent. They haven't won a Test series abroad in almost two decades! And this team will be the next all-conquering team? Give me a friggin break.

Ehsan
April 9, 2003, 07:29 PM
I totally agree with u sham bhai :)

shahid
April 10, 2003, 03:22 AM
Bangladesh will be the next all-conquering team.

shahid
April 10, 2003, 03:33 AM
When the west indies began to decline australia and pakistan took over. the former had border, boon and the waughs while the latter had akram and younis aloong with saeed anwar and inzamam.

Banglatiger84,

Are you a paki ??? Pakis were never an all-conquering team. In this WC 2003, even with these 4 players, they couldn't beat even 1 test team. Even Kenya played far better cricket than them.

Orpheus
April 10, 2003, 09:04 AM
Sham
India has ALWAYS had the largest fan base and player base. If that meant anything..... China would be the best football team in the world.....Largest player base means jack
AHhhh, Wha??? :o Soccer is popular in China? I thought all the fruity games are popular in China like Gymnastics, ping-pongs, Golf etc. They sure seem to be good at those - (maybe not golf). China's popularity for soccer probably came after their qualification in 02 - I think 10-20 years prior to that soccer was non-existent. So you might see surprising results in the future :; but then again my knowledge are from my experience with my chineese friends! I swear that 3 of my chineese friends said they ddin't know CHina was in the world cup when I asked them whether they think China will win a single match or not.... After that I stopped talking about football with Chineese ppl and made some Mexican friends!!

Largest player base might mean jack but largest fan base definitly has some value. Actually it is rather the support. You can just tell that from Korea's and Japan's performance in 02 world cup or the host's performance in any football World Cup. But if you explicitly mean for CRICKET - then it might be a different story. But I doubt.
As for India having the largest player base (what does this mean? - more teams?) but not producing many good players.... Well maybe they just don't have the vision. They did however produce Tendulkar - the best player ever in cricket (according to most ppl and gurus that is). How defining "Best" player is up to you.
But I do however believe that one of the resons why India wins at home is because of FAN SUPPORT. Besides it was the Fan "support" that took them to the WC final.

amit
April 10, 2003, 10:29 AM
Banglatiger84 - The Indian team of 2003 is the best ever Indian team and atleast 10 times better than the 1983 WC winning team. We did joke for 20/30 years but now it seems to be reality. There is no doubt that we will be the next all-conquering team after Aus. We won the u-15 and u-19 WCs not too long ago and reached the finals of the 2003 WC as well. The Indians are the next all-conquering team. This time it is for real. We Indians are getting more aggressive bowlers and attacking batsmen. Our bowlers can bowl any team out for less than 50 and our batsmen can smash 500 against any attack. Even the Indian fielding has improved dramatically and is as good as those of top fielding sides like Aus, SA, NZ, Kenya and Zim.

Arnab - We Indians are producing decent fast bowlers like Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Javagal Srinath and now Avishkar Salvi. All these 4 have a good yorker and Nehra can bowl at over 93 kph as well and he did it too.

Sham - U are talking about old Indian teams, now we ARE making our pitches to suit fast bowling. The day is not far away when India will be the next all-conquering team. Our next away series win will come this year when we beat Aus 3-0 in tests. It will happen and this is no joke.

James90 - U are an Aussie fan but as u said that aussies will go thru a lean patch, that is the time when Indians will pick up and Aussies will be the 2nd Best team.

Banglatiger84
April 10, 2003, 12:57 PM
Shahid

No i am not paki. Pakistan never dominated like australia or west indies. But its well known that in late 80s pakistan and west indies were the two best sides in test cricket.

and after wets indies declined in early 90's pakistan were for some time the bets side specially when wasim and waqar were at the peak of their powers. their batting was strong also with miandad, inzamam, salim malik.

Ture they were never "all conquering" as australia today or west indies in the past but they were among the best for some years.

Banglatiger84
April 10, 2003, 01:05 PM
Amit

Its really interesting how u never give ANY backing for ur points. all i have heard is that india will score 500 runs and bowl others out for 50 etc etc

have they ever come close to doing that in this world cup?

The answer is no.

As i said earlier India put in very few good performances in this world cup.

They only clicked in their batting against sri lanka and pakistan and bowling against nz and sl.

The win against england was purely due to the lights. if the toss was englands, we wud see india bowled out for 150 with caddick takign 6 wickets

Mahmood
April 10, 2003, 01:42 PM
This Amit is a teenager full of emotions and no logic. Trying to reason on his claims will only be wasted in vain.

Give it up. Start ignoring his posts, and if it crosses the limit, he will lose previllage to come here.

Reading these posts make me wonder, why I come to this board. I used to come here for intelligent conversations. And post like Amit's, just disappointing.

Sham
April 10, 2003, 04:49 PM
Amit is the Indian Shahid. Far to optimistic for his own good. The guy is just all talk. India will beat Australia 3-0?? Boy o boy, thats almost as bad as saying Bangladesh will win this TVS series.

Cricket46
April 10, 2003, 08:15 PM
I avoided this exchanges of childish posts for some time. This is because some of them are really "child" in age. May be we should have an age barrier to enter this site. Yes, this is not serious, but sometimes reading such posts seem a real waste of time.

I don't know how most people feel, but I feel more and more that a lot of these posts are very boring (trying to use a decent word). This board certainly was more entertaining before - even 4 weeks back. I still visit the board every single day, but don't get the urge to write, like before.

Mahmood
April 10, 2003, 10:43 PM
I hear you brother. However, dont give up. We are working on it. Dont think it cant be helped. This message board comes with great control. We have the option to ban any user so they can come here at all.

However, we still should try to make some sence into then first. Thats what we are doing. Trying make them understand what should and shouldnt be posted.

If all fails, we will have to remove them. So dont give up.

fwullah
April 11, 2003, 01:16 AM
Hey, one day these youngsters - teenagers will grow up, and us oldies will one day be too old to come to this board and have discussions like this.

Already there are signs like this showing - like when we oldies sometimes get into fight for reasons like politics and other things beside cricket with each other.

So just spare the young ones and be patient, after all it is their age group that are playing in the field right now - like Ashraful, Kapali, Tapash, Mashrafee - they are like the same group of Shahid, Ehsan, and Amit.

James90
April 11, 2003, 02:42 AM
And i'd be on the group of........help me out here

Sham
April 11, 2003, 02:49 AM
Fahmida, we aren't that old yet! The way you were going, it was as if amader shobar chul peke jacche! :)

shahid
April 11, 2003, 06:59 AM
Sham,

I am not optimistic, i am realistic. I think that even this Indian, Amit is realistic. If Aus could beat Ind 3-0 and then Ind fightback with a 2-1 win, why can't they beat Aus 3-0 this year. I agree with Amit here.

You seem to be too pesimistic to me.

shahid
April 11, 2003, 07:09 AM
Fehmida,

Good post. It's only natural to have youngsters from both sides in this board. It's only our age group which basically plays cricket out there for both BD and Ind. I agree with you.

We youngsters are too enthusiastic about cricket and always give a fresh look wherever we go. It's in youngsters only that the future of a cricketing nation depend. Be it BD, Ind, Pak or even Nepal. There are lots of young cricket fans around all over the world and it is good to see youngsters cheering their team. It's just that the youngsters are too optimistic but it is not bad. We youngsters are enthusiastic, optimistic and the BEST.

I don't know about this guy Cricket46. Can anybody tell him that he was also a 17/18 year old some years ago and if anybody had said this to him then what would he have felt.

I do not think that you "oldies" would grow too old. You are only 24 years old and only 6 years "older" than me.

Banglatiger84
April 11, 2003, 09:50 AM
Just a small question.

Are most bangladeshi players as old as its said , or are they older?

some players didnt look like 18 or 19 yr olds

Just wondering....

amit
April 13, 2003, 10:52 AM
Banglatiger84 - India can chase even 500 in ODIs. They are a good team chasing. If England batted first, still they would have lost. See the Natwest Final, 4th ODI v WI and the game against Pakistan in the WC before u post anything.

Rajputro - I am an intelligent guy making intelligent posts. I have lots of logic and am always logical. I might be 17 but that makes no difference.

Sham - Every Indian says what I am saying. We would beat Australia 3-0 this year and be the next all-conquering team.

Fwullah and Shahid - Good posts.

Banglatiger84
April 13, 2003, 12:21 PM
i thoguht of never again replyign to such blatantly stupid posts but anyways.

Amit,

u never gave ANY EVIDENCE that india can chase or score 500. they chased 325 but to teach u sum math 500-325 = 175

theres a big difference between 500 and 325

secondly just saying "i am logical even though i am 17" wont help u a bit. Its for others to judge whether u r logical or not, not for urself, and so far most ppl think u have denigrated the standard here by ur repeated posts of scoring 500 runs

shahid
April 13, 2003, 12:25 PM
Youngest ODI players fro Bangladesh

15y 116d Mohammad Sharif Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Harare 2000/01
16y 214d Mohammad Ashraful Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Bulawayo 2000/01
16y 287d Talha Jubair Bangladesh v New Zealand Colombo (SSC) 2002/03
17y 307d Hasibul Hossain Bangladesh v Sri Lanka Sharjah 1994/95
17y 348d Tushar Imran Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Chittagong 2001/02
18y 49d Mashrafe Mortaza Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Chittagong 2001/02
18y 131d Javed Omar Bangladesh v India Sharjah 1994/95
18y 140d Tareq Aziz Bangladesh v Pakistan Chittagong 2001/02
18y 215d Alok Kapali Bangladesh v Sri Lanka Colombo (SSC) 2002