PDA

View Full Version : Why on earth did our batsmen solw down ???

shahid
April 14, 2003, 11:24 AM
After racing off to 79/1 in the first 13.1 overs at exactly a run-a-ball (6.00 rpo), with Ashraful going well, why on earth did our batsmen slow down ??? :mad:

We were 102/3 after 27 overs after making just 23/2 in the last 13.5 overs. What was going throgh the batsmen's mind then ??? :mad:

We could have easily made 40 more runs atleast than what we did in these overs and if that had happened, 142/3 after 27 overs would still have kept us in the game. :mad:

:(We lost the game because of that slow down.

Pundit
April 14, 2003, 11:45 AM
Bashar has always gotten himself out when the field withdraws outward after the 15th over.

Our batsmen never seem to evade being negatively impacted by changes in field settings.

On a different note, Shahid, which planet are you from ? Your enthusiasm may rub on upon us, but not your naivety.

Banglatiger84
April 14, 2003, 12:31 PM
u dont think of winning against south africa just after beign bowled out for 76

the batsmen were trying to increase their confidence by staying at the crease for 50 overs which they did pretty well.

Now they will look to build upon this. if they tried to score fastly it was very possible they wud get bowled out in under 40 overs.

fwullah
April 14, 2003, 12:35 PM
Obviously Shahid is thinking like i used to think about Bangladesh during 1997 Asia Cup (My first observation of a Bangladesh match against test playing sides). So I am may be on the verge of understanding to what is going on in 'Shahid's mind'.

Shahid, first of all, like all young batsman, Ashraful still hasn't learnt to take the singles yet when the fields are spread after the 15 overs. Plus at that time, Shaun Pollock and Allan Dawson was bowling superbly.

And as to why both Ashraful and Sumon (after 1 wicket down) and later when Ashraful and Kapali (after 3 wickets down) didn't try harder to play at a higher run rate is because first of all, if Ashraful had not been patient, then he would not have been ONLY THE SECOND BANGLADESHI TO SCORE A FIFTY AGAINST A SOUTH AFRICAN ATTACK. And in the process, Ashraful would also not have scored his second ODI fifty.

Then if Sumon and Kapali had not been patient, then Bangladesh would have been all out for at best 160 to 180.

Would you have wanted that to happen? I think not.

Mahmood
April 14, 2003, 01:20 PM
I think Shahid still didnt realize the reality. He actually wanted to win. So slowing down seems odd to him.

As for me, I know how valuable this 49.3 over innings is. We needed that, we needed this badly. First, we have to learn to play all 50 overs. Then will try to win.

One step at a time. Dont rush Shahid. Unless our cricket learns to step first, it cant run. It will only stumble down, like it did.

Be patient.

Ehsan
April 14, 2003, 03:24 PM
I think this game was wt we need to build up or start a winning process. I'm quiet sure this game has increased the confidence of our team to perform better.

Shahid in this game our main target was not to win but to stay full 50 overs which we nearly did. We reached our target. You don't expect a team like BD to win chasing a score of 294. DId BD ever score a 290 in ODI? Never...so I think our team was succesful to reach their goal. Now their next goal should be to score above 240 and to register a win in the home ground.

Ehsan
April 14, 2003, 03:31 PM
I would like add one more thing, the reason our batsmen got slow is due the unfavorable condition iat nite in the pitch and also as SA put more pressure.

Overall we did well in unfavorable condition and in underprssure. That was a team work!!!! :cool:

shahid
April 15, 2003, 12:43 AM
It is great to see BD score over 200 and attack in the first 15 overs. I was looking to see a BD win and not a "respectible performance" like you all wanted. Maybe I can understand you all.

We would still win a match in this tri-series, i hope. ;)

Fwullah, You were an 18 year old during the 1997 AC. So, your thoughts were basically the same like me.:)

Shubho
April 15, 2003, 07:54 AM
I would like to affirm that bangladesh would win a match in this tri-series which would finish at the end of this week after which we would play another series in which we would win at least two more matches. our coach would be from another country and he would guide us in the right direction and we would win many more matches. then no one would talk badly about us anymore because we would be one of the best nations in the world. i think ashraful would score a century in the next match. it would be good.

you should all be optimistic, as we would win now.

shahid
April 15, 2003, 08:22 AM
Shubho, It's nice to see someone else optimistic.

I am sure that we would win atleast 1 match in this tri-series. We would beat SA 2-0 in tests also and crush Eng and Pak later in the year. This will be BD's year. :);):D:cool:

Zobair
April 15, 2003, 10:47 AM
ouch....
that hurt ;)

Sham
April 15, 2003, 03:31 PM
Oh man, hahahaha. Good one Shubho!