PDA

View Full Version : Opee will play in place of Sanwar, but ...

fwullah
April 15, 2003, 11:20 AM
I liked the decision of playing Opee in place of Sanwar, but the thing is that Opee will play at one down - which I think is not a good idea.

But if it really happens, then I am counting on history that it might turn out to be a close game than our logic ("SHOTORKO MON") tells us.

Because as history suggests, we have always closed in on a game when the only problem in not winning is in selecting the right combination. For example, Durjoy was hurt in the game against Kenya (or may be against Zimbabwe in the first match) and so we were short of a spinner. And what did our players do? Mehrab scored a century, thus giving us a big enough total to fight against Zimbabwe in the last match of Meril tournament. And in that match, we had regretted for not playing Durjoy, as the match was a close one.

But the only difference is that before that match started, Bangladesh HAD TO DO SOMETHING after getting heavy pounding on the hands of Saber Hossain Chowdhury for losing both matches against Kenya. Also, the crowd gave a heavy pounding by not coming in the match - (there was virtually only 10 to 20 people in the gallery that day - who might have been simply black ticket sellers).

But this time - things are a lot different - first of all - it is not Zimbabwe that we will be playing against, secondly it will be not a DO OR DIE battle for our players, and lastly but not the least is that it is not the last or first match for Bangladesh - which has its toll on Bangladesh.

Runtings
April 15, 2003, 01:20 PM
I agree that Opee should come in place of Sanwar. Since SA tour last October, Sanwar hasnt done a great deal with the bat, even his mandotary 20's and 30's arent happening.

I think Opee should not open as it will be alot of pressure on him, so keep Gullu to open.

You have to also remember that both of our batting in TVS Cup have been batting under lights, since we lost both tosses.

So getting over 200 under lights is a reasonable score for us. I just hope we win the toss and bat first in our remaining two games.

Mahmood
April 15, 2003, 01:21 PM
Wow I am impressed. How come they made the right call this time? Are they coming to this board?

Since Opee is in, I believe this the best possible batting line up for current players. Ash, Golla, Opee, Sumon, Kapali, Pilot, Sujon, Rafiq. Any of these players has the ability to score a 50. If anyone of them scores a 50, we wont get surprised. Thats not bad.

The bowling is weak. Specially since we lost Sanwar and we were regularly using his spin. However, If we can bat first, and impose a 225+ score... Taposh, Tarek, Sujon, Rafiq, Kapali, Ash might be able to give them a chase. Also, Sumon and Opee can bowl too, if needed.

Good Luck BD. After a long long time, I have hopes for tonight.

opening_batsman
April 15, 2003, 02:57 PM
Sanwar didn't prove me wrong, I knew he wasn't up to it. It's been mindboggling how this guy has been in the team after consistently performing badly and he has never improved his technique. He has been consistently out LBW, he shuffles across too much. The last good game he had was a 49 against SA in a test match last autumn, since then he has been awful. The batting line up with Mehrab coming back seems to be the strongest for a long time. When Masrafee and Sharif come back our bowling will improve a great deal. Bangladesh Khela was reporting that Sharif has started training again, if that's the case then that's great news.

Sham
April 15, 2003, 03:18 PM
The problem with Sharif is that he is too short for a fast bowler. I saw him play against Pakistan in Dhaka. He was pretty quick but the ball sits up and so the batsmen whacked him around like crazy.

Anyway, back to this game, I also think that this is our strongest batting line-up in a while. Lets hope that we get to bat first and put a score up on the board.

Ehsan
April 15, 2003, 03:38 PM
I guess some from BCB visits this site as I already told you that user logs in with the username 'BCB' who has never posted. Good work and keep it up.

James90
April 15, 2003, 08:31 PM
When i started out following Bangladeshi cricket the 2 ppl i liked were Habibul Bashar and Mehrab Hossain so i'm delighted to see them in the same side

Btw i wasn't a BD fan during their inagural test against India. I didn't even know they had test status

fwullah
April 15, 2003, 09:30 PM
And still you liked Mehrab? Wow he must have an impression over you.

Anyway, don't keep your hopes up for Mehrab - he may have all the talents and past performance with him, but he will need a little more time to get adjusted into the International cricket.