PDA

View Full Version : Next Coach??

bd_cricket
April 15, 2003, 11:57 AM
Bangladesher khela reports that most possibly the next coach will be Gordon Greenidge or Dave Whatmore. BCB is also talking to Bruce Reid and Remond Jennings.
Here is the article (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strRefer=headlines&strItemPath=headlines%2F169%2Fn%2D3%2Epdf)

fwullah
April 15, 2003, 12:28 PM
Can anyone tell more about Reid and Jennings?

If you ask me, I would like both Greenidge and Whatmore to coach Bangladesh. The only difference with them is that Greenidge has worked wonders with Bangladesh and Whatmore has worked wonders for Sri Lanka.

Both are similar in the manner that it was Greenidge who was the coach when Bangladesh won the first ODI against Kenya with the help of Rafique batting as an opener. And I think it was also Whatmore's plan to move Jayasuriya in the top order? I will need some confirmation on that.

Pundit
April 15, 2003, 12:50 PM
Before asking for someone, we need to understand very clearly what we exactly want most out of this individual - is it only his strategic vision, tactical prowess, talent spotting skills etc, or in addition, we need the individual to considerably contribute to the evolution of a player's technique. One may be very good at one, and another, at the other.

Essentially, this is the fundamental difference between Whatmore and Gordon. And since we cannot get both, what are we then going to emphasize upon ? So lets be careful of what we wish for.

Ideally ofcourse, we would have liked to have a ton of cash reserve, and hire Whatmore as the manager, and Gordon as the Batting doctor.

Mahmood
April 15, 2003, 01:26 PM
Gordon or Whatmore, both is fine. however, its the BCB who we are worried about. How will they deal with coach? How will they deal with the Coach's openions and suggestions?

Look at football. We had a dream coach, Kottan. And since he wants to have a say on the development of football, we let him go.

Ei desher unnoti hobe kivabe!

Runtings
April 15, 2003, 02:05 PM
At the moment I want a coach who can improve our batting.

We are producing talented players so me not bothered too much about development of the game. Without improvements especially in batting what is the point in unearthing new talent.

I would go for Dav Watmore has he has proven it with Sri Lanka, unlike Gordon who hasnt proven it with a test team yet

opening_batsman
April 15, 2003, 02:48 PM
I prefer Whatmore as he made an average Sri Lanka side into world champions. He can make Bangladesh into a formidable force. Get him quickly or some other team will get him.

Sham
April 15, 2003, 03:21 PM
Whatmore is my first choice as well. He will come with a clean sheet and start from scratch. Greenidge already had a stint and there are too many complications regarding him. And yes, Whatmore did turn an ordinary side into world champions, that is the sort of thing we need.

Mohammad
April 15, 2003, 03:27 PM
WHATMORE!!!!:D:D:D:D

Shubho
April 15, 2003, 03:57 PM
...I think our next coach will be some retired army major, who will boast excellent cricketing credentials (i.e. experience playing cricket with the army cadets who lose to his side in order to curry favour). He will be recommended by Kolimuddin, Solimuddin, Borkot and Jhharumiya of the Pakistan Cricket Board, so Lobbi will hunt him down and install him as our next coach ahead of Whatmore and the rest.

Seriously, there are too many Aular-po jhhaular-po running our country's cricket. It's a damn shame.

bd_cricket
April 15, 2003, 04:49 PM
Inquilab reports two other names for the coach. They are Owen Philip (the coach of Adilade Cricket Academy) and Kepler Wessels (former captain of South Africa). And they are saying most probably Kepler will be the final choice.

bd_cricket
April 15, 2003, 05:21 PM
During World Cup I read somewhere that Kepler Wessels made some comments about the minnows in the world cup and he thinks that these minnows should not be allowed to play in the WC - this makes the WC full of many onesided matches.

I don't think Kepler Wessels has any coaching experience. He was one of the commentatots in the WC.

Ehsan
April 15, 2003, 05:47 PM
If thats how Keepler is then we musntn't go for him. If required BD fans should protest outside the BCB's office.:)

shahid
April 16, 2003, 01:25 AM
We should go for Ashok Malhotra - the temporary Indian coach as our coach. I liked his comments that there a lot of talent in the BD side. We definitely need an Indian coach.

Sham
April 16, 2003, 01:28 AM
The absolute last thing we need is an Indian coach. Any random dude that says BD has talent cant be our coach. I think we have had our fair share of problems with sub-continental coaches (Amarnath, Kamal). We need an Australian, but someone who has coaching experience and someone who is known for something more than an underarm delivery!