PDA

View Full Version : At least the verdict is good

fwullah
April 16, 2003, 11:24 AM
At last there is something written on Bangladesh on a foreign media that has some base.

Clearly the Amit Vama guy has done some research before writing off Bangladesh completely.

Look at these words "That would not have been so frowned upon had Bangladesh not been a Test team. But after being outclassed in every international encounter in the recent past, they finally showed some spunk here, making their second 200-plus score in a row, and taking six Indian wickets after that. That the landmark of passing 200 should be so celebrated is itself an indication of how far Bangladesh had fallen.

What has changed? For one thing, Bangladesh reversed a recent trend in their selection; of focussing only on youngsters. Bangladesh age-group cricket is vibrant, and a policy of building a team for the future cannot really be argued with. But an abrupt transition can be counter-productive, and Bangladesh have thrown too many callow youngsters into the deep end too soon in recent times.

They dropped a number of their senior players for the World Cup, which was all well and good - it was time for some of them, like Aminul Islam and Naimur Rahman, to go. But Akram Khan, until he was called into the squad due to injury, was also axed, and gritty veterans like Habibul Bashar and Khaled Mahmud also found it hard to get into the playing XI. Mehrab Hossain, a 23-year-old who had made Bangladesh's only one-day century, against Zimbabwe in 1998, at the age of 20, was also not in the plans.

This is not to suggest that these four men are world-class players, but they all have a quality that has been sorely lacking in Bangladesh cricket over the last few months - combativeness. Now that all of them are back, and others like Mohammad Ashraful are also showing spine, the team doesn't look quite as pathetic. "

Wisden - Verdict (http://www-usa.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/APR/170415_CI_16APR2003.html)

Sham
April 16, 2003, 04:06 PM
Atlast, something constructive came out of Wisden. I am not saying that because this guy had some kind words, but he has actually gone to the trouble of finding out what was wrong and how we are trying to put it right. Usually, its just a commentary on how pathetic we are without trying to figure out why that is.

Piranha
April 16, 2003, 05:32 PM
What difference a bit of effort makes! The moment we start showing that we really care about our cricket and that we are serious about competing in the big league, people start to make better comments. This is wonderful news indeed.
Why was this committment and seriousness lacking in our previous games?

Sham
April 16, 2003, 05:42 PM
The world cup just went wrong for us from every imaginable angle. There was too much in-fighting in the team, Mashud lost the respect of his players and in effect, his ability to lead, Kamal became a complete joke, the manager was completely unable to maintain discipline, players lacked confidence and the environment was completely horrid for anything to be put right.

I think these things are changing under Mahmud. Lets hope that they are at any rate. Imran is also a highly regarded coach and the manager is said to be very strict. Maybe the combination will work out, atleast in the shortrun.

fwullah
April 18, 2003, 01:21 AM
I hope this 'shortrun' stays upto August. Because we have to win those 2 matches against Hong Kong and UAE.

shahid
April 18, 2003, 02:39 AM
fwullah,

We also have to win an ODI vs Pak as well. I am sure that would happen.

Ehsan
April 18, 2003, 12:33 PM
Don't expect a win against Pakistan. If it was the same Pakistan team in the WC I would have expected one. But with the new paki team I don't see any hope of a win. They have build up again and back to compete against any team.

I don't think we can registar a win against Pakistan at the moment.

[Edited on 18-4-2003 by ehsan]