PDA

View Full Version : Time to look at History? - Gordon Greendige

fwullah
June 23, 2002, 05:09 AM
Have some free time on hand? Look at the famous interview of Gordon Greendige and assess what improvements have been made and not been made. In this July, 2002, it will be 4 years after the following interview had been taken by the Daily Star.

http://www-usa.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/1998/JUL/GREENIDGE_INTERVIEW_25JUL1998.html

TheWatcher
April 10, 2006, 07:15 PM
Looking back, Bangladesh cricket sure has made a big leap from the Greenidge era seven years back. I hope Greenidge too is happy today that his prediction came wrong.

"Personally, there is no way that Bangladesh cricket with the present system can operate in the Test match level in less than ten years." Former West Indies opener Gordon Greenidge

ammark
April 10, 2006, 07:24 PM
I feel sorry for how he was treated though. Understandably emotions were high, and maybe its a good thing we progressed through Eddie Barlowe and onto Dav Whatmore, but still, we owe Greenidge a lot.

IanW
April 10, 2006, 07:43 PM
I think Greenidge nailed a lot of the problems, and a lot of the solutions.

Part of why Bangladesh improved is structural, and part of it is to do with some very, very special talents.

Structurally, I have seen an acute lack of political crap in team, coach and staff selection in the last few years.

Basically, the cricket authorities have accepted Greenidge's critique, and given complete autonomy to the coaching and selection staff. Sufficient money to build and maintain the structure has also been provided.

Dav Whatmore himself is part of that - he's a world-class coach, a viable candidate for any national team, and if it comes to a blue between him and the cricket authorities, I think he wins.

Oh yeah, and yes he was rightly interested in the Indian coaching job - he is a cricket professional, he was out of contract, and if they had offered him the job he would have taken it. Dont let key members go out of contract.

Facilities have improved, grounds have improved and training facilities have improved since Greenidge's time.

Success gets money, of course - and for players as well as the team. I can't believe that Nafees doesnt have a bat contract, for example, and a team that will come in with the odd very good win is going to find getting sponsors a lot easier, even if it loses more than it wins.

Greenidge was also right that hope resides in the kids. Two members of the 'old guard' have survived - Pilot and Rafique. And they have survived because they adapted to the new Australian regime.

The kids are better than alright - Enamul, Aftab, Ash, Nafees, Shahadat all have the potential to be world-class, and even if they arent world class they all should become useful test cricketers.

Of course, without the structure - specifically the Australian coaching staff (Observer, you did a great job. Gratz on the Australia job), then they may have been stuck in Dhaka earning $100 a game and $100 a win from a local sponsor in some stupid, irrelevant club match.

Basically, Greenidge was right. It just got fixed faster and better than he thought possible.

Ian Whitchurch

fai_hasan
April 10, 2006, 07:49 PM
Gordon was a great man, and did very well for us. However, it didn't go well at the end.