PDA

View Full Version : Bridge!!

Tigers_eye
November 9, 2005, 10:09 AM
Zunaid: in
Rubu: in
cats_eye: in
All we need is a forth, and fix a time. Weekdays, central standard Lunch time are the best time for me. can be flexible a bit. can't stay over an hour. What are your hours? yahoo social. ID dhaka89. haven't been there for a long long time.

GuruTM
November 9, 2005, 11:09 AM
I am sorry and excuse me.

How to play bridge?

i know this is a cool game. can anyone teach me?

Tigers_eye
November 9, 2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by TeamManager
I am sorry and excuse me.

How to play bridge?

I know this is a cool game. can anyone teach me?
There is nothing to be sorry about. We will be more than happy to teach you. The concept is more like spade trump game but it is very complexed. You have to choose the color of the trump and would have to call how many tricks you will get. It has to be done by partnership. You and your partner are a team playing against another team (opponents). My dad trained me through my entire 6 months SSC exam vacation, oh! those good old days. For beginners, I would suggest there are many good websites where they explain how to make a call and play. In international contract bridge, there are many conventions and can create confussions. The best way to learn is to watch few games on how it is played and ask questions. Start with Yahoo bridge. Then once we (BC members) start you can join the party.

GuruTM
November 9, 2005, 12:25 PM
I had a sad history with bridge. All my buddies used to be very good bridge players. I wanted to play with them all the time. But everytime i asked them to teach me they go like "Look this is a hard game. We cant teach you. You will have to pick up by yourself". So i never learned how to play chess. But now i can at least give it a try on yahoo bridge and may play with the likes of rubu, zunaid and cats_eye when i pick the game by myself> :)

Tigers_eye
November 9, 2005, 12:58 PM
Patience, dedication (lots of reading and memorizing) and a good partner. If cricket is a gentleman's game then bridge is certainly gentleman's card game.
1. Rule #1: never put down a partner or the opponents no matter how much frustrated one is. We are human and may make mistake.

2. Play it fair (with a smile).

3. Must make your partner know what kind of hand you have and vise-versa. Trust each other.

The best way to facilitate is to learn part by part. 1st would be how to make a call. Playing is the easiest part. The scoring part, don't worry about it, others/bridge software would take care of it.

Edited on, November 9, 2005, 7:23 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

Rubu
November 9, 2005, 01:13 PM
My times: all day during weekend. (I've other things to do, but I can work them around).

Weekdays: Anytime after 7PM EST to 11PM EST.

Id as said in another thread: mr9rubu

Zunaid
November 9, 2005, 02:43 PM
Before we launch - what bidding conventions do y'all follow?

I currently follow SAYC with additional details such as
Michaels, DONT, (sometimes Flannery 2D), Inverted Minors, Jacoby transfers, Splinters etc...

Not a fan of precision bidding system :)

Tigers_eye
November 9, 2005, 02:58 PM
Sayc, michaels, Jacoby Transfer.

Whats the convention for 2 bid weak openning? played that. Once I played in tourney against some turkish people. Wow! that was eye openning. They play a totally different system. Stopped visiting bridgebase after that.

Rubu
November 9, 2005, 03:35 PM
i usually follow 5 card major, stay man and my instinct. not a big fan of strict rule of any kind.

Zunaid
November 9, 2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Rubu
i usually follow 5 card major, stay man and my instinct. not a big fan of strict rule of any kind.

Strict rules ensure that your partner has a very clear idea of what you hold. Leads to optimal bidding. Not so important for rubber bridge but very important duplicate bridge.

bd_cricket
November 9, 2005, 03:44 PM
yes - this is the thread I was looking for.

Are we talking about contract bridge or the simple auction bridge? In contract bridge, to make contract you get the chance in bidding many times and you can literally tell your partner what you have with good understanding and following a specific convention.

Tigers_eye
November 9, 2005, 03:55 PM
Woo hoo! we have a forth. Salam BD_cricket bhai. Contract bridge it is. I don't think we can play auction bridge online.
How funny we have 4 poeple in four time zone. East, central me, mountain and west.

Zunaid
November 9, 2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Sayc, michaels, Jacoby Transfer.

Whats the convention for 2 bid weak openning? played that. Once I played in tourney against some turkish people. Wow! that was eye openning. They play a totally different system. Stopped visiting bridgebase after that.

When I play weak 2, weak 2 only for D-H-S. Depending on the partner 5 or 6 card suit 10-11 HCPs. I will couple that with an artificial strong 2-C bids (alert). This is forcing. Its for hands in the 2NT/3NT range but initial distribution does not support an NT opening but most plausibly the contract will be in NT, unless of course your partner has a bizarro long suite.

Response t that could be weak 2D, neutral 2H or the converse strong 2D... And the variations can go on and on

Edited on, November 9, 2005, 9:03 PM GMT, by Zunaid.
Reason: tons of tpyoes

Tigers_eye
November 9, 2005, 05:55 PM
At times, I play steps on forcing bids, also play like rubu (5 card major, stayman), blackwood and gerber. I know this will be very interesting barring everyone can make it.

Carte Blanche
November 9, 2005, 06:14 PM
Ohhh I played bridge a loooong time ago. I almost forgot all the rules and calls. I will start reading the guides soon and refresh my memory. Although it will probably take months before I become a decent player :(

Rubu
November 9, 2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Zunaid
Strict rules ensure that your partner has a very clear idea of what you hold. Leads to optimal bidding. Not so important for rubber bridge but very important duplicate bridge.

See in last 5 and half years (since moved to usa) I barely ever played with real cards. and on yahoo, u feel lucky if you have a partner for 30 minutes. this kind of made me leave aside those textbook stuff and learned to be on my own. now, if i want to play the proper way, i've to sharpen those stuff a bit.