PDA

View Full Version : Australia qualify for football world cup

GuruTM
November 16, 2005, 07:00 AM
What a match. They outplayed Uruguay in their 2nd leg match in Australia in penalty shoot out. After 34 years of hurt they are going to Germany 2006. What a night here in Australia!

jabbar
November 16, 2005, 08:19 AM
woo hooo!!!! aussie aussie aussie! oi oi oi!

Yahooooooo!! :fire: :fire: :fire:

Tigers_eye
November 16, 2005, 09:09 AM
Revenge is sweet. Last time they lost to the same foes.

GuruTM
November 16, 2005, 09:18 AM
ozi ozi ozi........
oi oi oi.........

Xavier
November 16, 2005, 03:01 PM
Well... the Australians lose the Ashes, Windies are in deep trouble... while the Oz and Trinidad and Tobago get to FIFA 2006 WC... that's strange, isn't it?

Beamer
November 16, 2005, 03:05 PM
Turkey is in big trouble as we speak. They are losing the second leg of their match to Swiss right now. Swiss beat them in the first leg. I loved the Turkish team in the last world cup. They were awsome. It would be a pity if they don't make it.

Xavier
November 16, 2005, 03:18 PM
Final score: Turkey-Switzerland 4-2 (agg. 4-4).
Turks are out on away goals

There will be many good teams missing next WC, but that always happen as you have many competitive teams in international football (unlike cricket).

Beamer
November 16, 2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Xavier
Final score: Turkey-Switzerland 4-2 (agg. 4-4).
Turks are out on away goals

There will be many good teams missing next WC, but that always happen as you have many competitive teams in international football (unlike cricket).

What a shame. Turkey should have at least managed a draw in the first leg or score at least a goal. They would have sneaked in. Now, boring Swiss will go through instead of those fantastic Turks.

tiger_man
November 16, 2005, 06:47 PM
LOL.....i was watching that game last nite on sbs..

my heart stopped beating when viduka missed that goal.....

but when schwarzer saved the nxt one and aloisi drove that ball rite through the keeps arm......i was in full bliss!!

tiger_man
November 16, 2005, 06:49 PM
btw, i love turkey too.....love their aggression in the field...

swiss is definitely boring team......they'll probably sit ducks coz they wannabe neutral :duh::duh:

fab
November 16, 2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by tiger_man
my heart stopped beating when viduka missed that goal.....
Just when he was lining up the ball, I was telling my mother that he was one of Australia's best players and he'd score for sure... what the hell was he thinking? I thought it was going to be 1997 all over again!

What an absolute tragedy that Turkey won't be in the WC! Now we don't have any (decent) muslim team to support :ninja:

tiger_man
November 16, 2005, 11:08 PM
lol thats alwayz been the case where best players stuff up the penalty shootout....platino, baggio, maradona did that one time or another...

thats wat my brother was telling me moments before viduka shot that outside...

AsifTheManRahman
November 17, 2005, 01:35 AM
so the OZ's finally make it :) boy, has it been a long wait for them...and they're not that bad either! it's mainly the geographical location that's prevented them from qualifying all these years, imo.

btw, i agree that the swiss are boring. would've preferred turkey myself. :)

Banglatiger84
November 17, 2005, 04:28 AM
Swi-Turkey was a really dirty match. The Turk fans were raining stuff on the pitch, while one swiss player kicked the turk assistant coach.

Funny how the European media is focusing only on Turkey's faults, they are ignoring all Swis provokations.

Turkey were cheated of at least 2 clear penalty chances.

Then again FIFA's president is Swiss......

GuruTM
November 17, 2005, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Xavier
Well... the Australians lose the Ashes, Windies are in deep trouble... while the Oz and Trinidad and Tobago get to FIFA 2006 WC... that's strange, isn't it?

You stole my thoughts! So there is a conflict between cricket and football success. Thats why subcontinent countries don't qualify for football's bigger stage.

GuruTM
November 17, 2005, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Banglatiger84
Swi-Turkey was a really dirty match. The Turk fans were raining stuff on the pitch, while one swiss player kicked the turk assistant coach.

Funny how the European media is focusing only on Turkey's faults, they are ignoring all Swis provokations.

Turkey were cheated of at least 2 clear penalty chances.

Then again FIFA's president is Swiss......

I would prefer Turk's over swiss team any time any day. Swiss are a hell of a boring team compared to Turkey. It's a big loss for real football fans who want to watch exiting and attacking games. :down:

tiger_man
December 1, 2005, 06:33 PM
cant believe turkey is out.....

come to think of it, many potential teams have been out already....uruguay nd turkey..

btw, from next world cup onwards, australia will probably have to qualify from asia not south america

tiger_man
December 1, 2005, 06:38 PM
australia's failure streak in world cup qualifier is longer than their winning streak in ashes....

so i guess by winning the qualifier, the general public mood is somewhat lifted...:)

i hope this doesnt divert the already dwindling popularity of cricket in australia..

last time i checked the papers, soccer had already overtaken circket nd rugby as the most popular sports in aus..

Banglatiger84
December 2, 2005, 09:13 AM
It will be much fairer to have australia with asia. So in all probability they will compete against evenly matched teams such as Japan, korea, iran, and saudi arabia

GuruTM
December 5, 2005, 03:33 AM
World cup draw is going to be in this weekend. I hope Australia will get a better group.