PDA

View Full Version : Best of 20th century sportsmen

Tigers_eye
December 8, 2005, 05:27 PM
1st I thought I would make a poll. Then it became hard to pick one from one sport let alone from all of them. So a top ten list would be the best form. You may have multiple players from one sport if you like.

Mine goes down like this:

1. Boxing: - Ali
2. Football: - Pele
3. Basketball: - Jordan
4. Cricket: - Bradman
5. Cycling: - Amrstrong
6. American Football: - Joe Montana
7. Hockey: - Shahbaz
8. Ice Hockey: - Gretzky
9. Golf: - Jack
10. Squash: - Jahangir Khan

Others whom I considered were Maradona, Croft, Wilt Chamberline, Tendulkar, Barry Sanders, Byron Nelson, Pete Samprass.

What’s yours?

thebest
December 9, 2005, 08:59 AM
i know I am starting a controversy. But I do not think Pele is the greatest football player. To me it is Maradona. I am presenting my points:
1. Pele is 3 world cup winners. Who were his colleague. In 1958, he was not the main player of the team. Didi was. 1962 is known as "Garincha's world Cup" and team of 1970 is equivalent to 1948 "Don's Invincible"
2. Pele never played in highly competative european league. All his laurals in domestic competition is for Santos a big club itself in relatively weak Brazilian League.
3. Like Platini he is always pro establishment, darling of Media. For example there was very little news when he was forced by court to accept paternity of a girl.

in Comparison
1. Maradona Played 4 worldcup winning only once. But what was that. The 1986 Argentine team is the weakest world cup winning team ever without Maradona. Even a half fit Maradona almost won the 1990 world cup. In1982 in his first world cup he was the main player of the team and badly treated by the Referries as well as players. I remember how gentel was Gentele of Italy or Falcao of Brazil.
2. He made Napoli - one of the weakest team in the strong Italian league champion not once but twice. Now Napoli playing lower level football.
3. He is not considered greatest because of the Brit media who never forgot the 'Hand of God' goal or more preciouly 'The best Goal in World Cup'. And in his playing day a brazilian was at the helm of FIFA.

For Maradona lover here is a web page for Maradona goals
http://clarence.supereva.com/contents/sport/speciali/010809maradona/

for the other I think I agree with your choice except no 7. I know nothing abt that sports.

Tigers_eye
December 9, 2005, 09:57 AM
There is no controversy that Maradona had the gift that noone possessed. His dazzling dribble, shots, and low to ground built was perfect for Argentina and the world to witness soccer as her peak.

But Pele is uncomparable. At 17, (how many 17 year old gets to play in WC) in a world cup finals, against the host nation playing for the cup, and the crowd cheering for him against their own team?? That is not for real. Can only happen in stories. Even the italians hated maradona after his argentine team beat the italians. Pele is special and the game of Football was created for him. 100 1st class goals every year for 10 years in a row no matter where you play (even if it is in Australian league) marks greatness and longivity. A player can hold on to form few years but getting marked by atleast 3 defenders (ask Portugal - 1966) and still managing to score that many goals noone now-a-days can dream about. How about accomplishing half of it. Naa, thats not possible either.

Thebest, you are free to your opinion and can have Maradona as your #1 player I have no problem. Post your list.

Thanks for the link.

7. Field hockey. Fastest sport that don't have to do anything with Ice.

thebest
December 9, 2005, 07:40 PM
sorry i know what is field hockey. i have no idea abt no 6

James90
December 10, 2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
I'm pretty sure Handball is.

Locutus
February 19, 2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by thebest
i know I am starting a controversy. But I do not think Pele is the greatest football player. To me it is Maradona. I am presenting my points:
1. Pele is 3 world cup winners. Who were his colleague. In 1958, he was not the main player of the team. Didi was. 1962 is known as "Garincha's world Cup" and team of 1970 is equivalent to 1948 "Don's Invincible"
2. Pele never played in highly competative european league. All his laurals in domestic competition is for Santos a big club itself in relatively weak Brazilian League.
3. Like Platini he is always pro establishment, darling of Media. For example there was very little news when he was forced by court to accept paternity of a girl.

in Comparison
1. Maradona Played 4 worldcup winning only once. But what was that. The 1986 Argentine team is the weakest world cup winning team ever without Maradona. Even a half fit Maradona almost won the 1990 world cup. In1982 in his first world cup he was the main player of the team and badly treated by the Referries as well as players. I remember how gentel was Gentele of Italy or Falcao of Brazil.
2. He made Napoli - one of the weakest team in the strong Italian league champion not once but twice. Now Napoli playing lower level football.
3. He is not considered greatest because of the Brit media who never forgot the 'Hand of God' goal or more preciouly 'The best Goal in World Cup'. And in his playing day a brazilian was at the helm of FIFA.

For Maradona lover here is a web page for Maradona goals
http://clarence.supereva.com/contents/sport/speciali/010809maradona/

for the other I think I agree with your choice except no 7. I know nothing abt that sports.

No disrespect but how do you define a great sportsman? Skills and goal scoring ability does not make the greatest soccer player and lets not forget about Maradona’s drug scandals. Peles’ contribution to soccer is incomparable. He brought the game of soccer to another level.

Tintin
February 19, 2006, 11:22 PM
A 10 minute clip on Pele (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=15723128746091112&q=pele)

Tigers_eye
February 24, 2006, 10:25 AM
Players of greatness:

1. Walt Fraizer: NY Knicks.
Once in match at Madison square garden, in the heat of the moment in the forth quarter, an opposing player came from behind and punched Walt Fraizer in his head. Astonishingly, the referee gave a foul to Mr. Fraizer. Instead of getting angry towards the ref and player, Fraizer calmly demanded the ball next nine times when they made the trip and scored each time, won the match, left the stadium, didn't say a single word.

2. Against a hostile crowd Jordan (6' 6") at Salt Lake City in one game came from the wing flew over John Stockton (6' 0") and dunked. One of the fans in the front row screamed at him and said, "Pick someone of your own size." Jordon didn't say a word. He ran back just got the rebound on the other end came down the court and dunked on their 6' 11" center. Then turned to fan and said, "Will that do?"

Let us see how Maradona reacted at '82 WC. I vividly remember the games at Spain because most of them were directly televised in BD and we stayed up late to watch them. ( I still think Brazil's '82 team was the finest of all teams they ever assembled) True there were harsh tackle against the kid (at that time he was a Kid), but in the dying moments when his team was losing out of frustration he kicked a Brazilian defender in the groin area with an intention to take him out. Class it is. No one should be talking about Gentele and Falcao after this incident and they didn't.

Sportsmen have to manage their anger. That is part of the game. Maradona could not. Pele never reacted like that even receiving harsher treatments.

Tigers_eye
March 24, 2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by James90
Originally posted by Cats_eye
I'm pretty sure Handball is.
I'm pretty sure Racquetball or even squash is faster than Handball. The smaller the ball is, the more bounce the ball has, faster it goes.

al Furqaan
March 30, 2006, 10:39 PM
cats eye bhai:

i would say either barry sanders or jerry rice for NFL.

don't know much about montana's stats, but marino prolly blew those stats outta the water. tho montana won more rings.

but rice had sick stats: 22 TDs in one season, single season WR record. and he only played 12 games. Randy Moss and TO couldn't touch that.

sanders had sick runs, the defense might have thought 'nice 3 yard loss on the play' but then sanders takes it 85 yards to the house.

Tigers_eye
March 31, 2006, 09:58 AM
Yes sir,
There were several out of the world atheletes in NFL. Running back position has to be Jim Brown, even though Barry Sanders (with sick moves) is my main man. Walter Payton, Emmit Smith won't come close.

Wide receiver Jerry rice no doubt. But the problem was choosing one for one sports. QB is most demanded position in NFL. So had to go with QB.

Now against Marino he don't have one ring. How can he be the best? No matter how many records he have (25 NFL records to be exact). Next comes Montana (4 rings out of 4 tries), Bradshaw (4 rings out 4 tries), Elway (2 rings out of 5 tries). Well among these 3, Montana was the coolest, and with him in the game you are never out no matter how many points you are down. The most comeback wins. The word Miracle was attached to him while he was in Notre Dame and never left. Even his later days with Kansas City he did give them the miracle drives to win games. Also a class act.

Others I considered was Lawrence Taylor (LT), Reggie White, Dion Sanders. But as I said, very hard to pick one from so many different eras and so many different positions.

Edited on, March 31, 2006, 2:59 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

thebest
March 31, 2006, 09:18 PM
In Athletics Carl Lewis and Sergie Bubka in individual event