PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2006 Groups Announced

Banglatiger84
December 9, 2005, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously easy group for Germany. Mexico and Portugal will be having it easy as wel..

France, Spain, England & Brazil have well balanced groups .

Argentina & italy will have it really tough, i wouldnt be surprised to see either of them fall at the first hurdle.

just cant wait for June to come and the action to begin!

GROUP A
Germany
Costa Rica
Poland
Ecuador

GROUP B
England
Paraguay
Trinidad & Tobago
Sweden

GROUP C
Argentina
Ivory Coast
Serbia & Montenegro
Holland

GROUP D
Mexico
Iran
Angola
Portugal

GROUP E
Italy
Ghana
USA
Czech Republic

GROUP F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

GROUP G
France
Switzerland
South Korea
Togo

GROUP H
Spain
Ukraine
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4466032.stm

AsifTheManRahman
December 9, 2005, 04:19 PM
my pick for the 2nd round:

A: Germany, Ecuador/Costa Rica
B: England, Sweden
C: Argentina, Holland
D: Mexico, Portugal
E: Italy, USA
F: Brazil, Japan
G: France, South Korea
H: Spain, Saudi Arabia

Tigers_eye
December 9, 2005, 04:40 PM
4 asian teams.
Iran, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Japan.

Who has the best chance to make it to the second round?

US should have been a group leader. They have beaten mexico almost all of the recent matches. they beat them in the Quarter finals last world cup. US vs mexico since 91 USA won 10 lost 6 and 6 was draw. Shame for FIFA.

AsifTheManRahman
December 9, 2005, 04:43 PM
lol...shame hobe keno?

Beamer
December 9, 2005, 04:44 PM
Group C is indeed the proveribial Group of death in my mind. Argentina, Holland and Serbia with Ivory Coast also ran in.

Group E is tough as well. Italy, Ghana, USA and Czec ( dark horse team, they can play flamboyant football, watch out for them )

Group A is the easiest with a smooth sail for Germany and Poland.

Group G is also pretty easy for France. Korea will make it. Swiss made it at the last moment and Togo is really an unknown quantity.

Group H : Spain and Ukraine
Group F : Brazil and who knows?
Group D : Portugual, Mexico
Group B : England, Sweden

Navarene
December 9, 2005, 04:52 PM
Mexico and Portugal will be having it easy as wel..
It wont be an easy walk in the park for Mexico and Portugal against Iran I tell you guys. I wont be surprised if Iran reaches the second round.

Tigers_eye
December 9, 2005, 04:52 PM
In Europe non-european nations do real bad. Last time in France out of 16 teams they had 15 of them. the odd team was Brazil which made it to the finals. I suspect Iran is more than capable of upsetting Mexico. Japan and South Korea has real chance to do some damage. I suspect the Saudis would not manage to win any games. Its been few years that I kept up with the european soccer. So I have no idea. who is favorite to win it all.
Germany as a host and rich history should be a safe bet.

Tigers_eye
December 9, 2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
lol...shame hobe keno?
karon they chose the group leaders first and then did the lottery. (England was very afraid of not being as a chosen one and ending up in a gourp with Argentina or Brazil). So FIFA should have chosen US over Mexico.

AsifTheManRahman
December 9, 2005, 05:01 PM
i don't understand the problem of the Saudi Arabians...they seem to be one of the better teams in the Asian competitions, but always end up playing third-class soccer in the world cup. kono unnoti nai - joog joog dhore 1st rounde jhatar bari kheye ashtese...

one'd have thought they'd have shown a few sparks here and there by now, especially after playing in the WC so many times.

Beamer
December 9, 2005, 05:03 PM
Iran can spoil it for Mexico easily. Ali daei is a terrific player and they are a pretty good team. Saudi never lost in the Aisan qualifiers. So, they are not bad either. But Ukraine has Andrie Shayvchenko ( I know I screwed up the spelling! but that's besides the point ) and he is as gifted as anyone in the world. Mexico always play tough in the world cup. I see them going through with Portugal.

Beamer
December 9, 2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
i don't understand the problem of the Saudi Arabians...they seem to be one of the better teams in the Asian competitions, but always end up playing third-class soccer in the world cup. kono unnoti nai - joog joog dhore 1st rounde jhatar bari kheye ashtese...

one'd have thought they'd have shown a few sparks here and there by now, especially after playing in the WC so many times.

Ta bhai ja bolecehn. Even last world cup eo noy ta goal khaisilo saudi ra against I think Germany? borong African team gula shob shomoy chomok dey. Kintu chomok deyar team gula nai ebar. Nigeria, Senegal, Cameroon nai..ebar. Tunisia kharap na. tobey Togo, Ivory Coast ekebarey unknown commodity. Ghana r jubo dol ekbar olympic jitsilo..oboshho onek agey..Iran kintu bhalo team. Not many people know that. I was wishing for them to be in the same group with USA!

ami draw dekhtachilam earlier on tv. Heidi Klum kintu mashallah..

AsifTheManRahman
December 9, 2005, 05:09 PM
what do you guys think about the Aussies? do they stand a chance? I'll say yes, but i'll also say that it'll be pretty difficult for them to surpass the Japanese. let's not talk about Brazil here :)

Tigers_eye
December 9, 2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Beamer
ami draw dekhtachilam earlier on tv. Heidi Klum kintu mashallah..

Speak the truth!!! "ami heidi Klum dekhchilam." the draw was a side show.

Fazal
December 9, 2005, 05:18 PM
Astak ferolla.

Beamer
December 9, 2005, 05:21 PM
No problem. Ami Heidi Klum dekhtachilam. Draw was a side show. Anyone catch the Victoria's Secret show Tuesday on CBS? Someone should send a tape to Bangla bhai and his gang..Life in the world is not so bad as opposed to life on the other side, according to them.

Fazal
December 9, 2005, 05:24 PM
I hope Iran surprise every body. I would like to see another USA vs Iran match.

Besides that as usual, I will support Brazil all the way.

Beamer
December 9, 2005, 05:25 PM
Brazil is a chomok team. I am a die hard fan of them. Anyone old enough to see the '82 team? That was an obishahhso team that couldn't win. They were overwhelming favorites like the team now. They played that tournament in Europe ( Spain ) and failed as they will play this tournament in Europe ( Germany ) and hopefully history won't repeat itself..

Banglatiger84
December 10, 2005, 01:09 AM
Heres an analysis where i have tried to put personal preferences aside:

A; Germany should come otu tups. However, someone mentioned will be a sail for Poland. No it wont!

Costa Rica and Ecuador can beat Poland , given little amount of luck. You cant forget that Poland hasnt beaten a Tier A or B team for ages!

B: England, with one from Sweden or Paraguay (probably Sweden)

C: Terrible group even though it will make for interestign matches. I would put my money on AR/Holland but wouldnt be surprised be Serbia or Ivory Coast sneak in somehow .

D: Portugal to be group champions. Either Mexico or Iran to accompany

E: Another very tricky group. To be honest I feel one from Italy/Czech may fall at the first stage. USA is not easy to play against these days, while Ghana are a very physical side

F: Brazil comfortably through. Japan croatia and Australia have identical chances of makign it

G: France along with either Swiss or Korea (Swiss will have more support while Korea are ave it easiest from the Asian sides)

H: Spain and Ukraine (provided Shevchenko doesnt get injured).

Mav
December 10, 2005, 04:25 AM
What a match between Brazil and Japan / will be.....

howzatt!
December 11, 2005, 10:57 PM
go Brazil! man they never run out of supply of players. their offense in incredibly strong this time. stronger than as far back as i can remember. ronaldo, ronaldinho, robinho, adriano, kaka DANG!
my prediction of 2nd round qualifiers:
----------------------------------------------------

A: Germany and poland
B: England and Sweden
C: hard to say (Argentina/Holland/Serbia & montenegro)
D: Portugal and Iran
E: Italy and either USA or Czech Republic
F: Brazil and Japan
G: France and Korea
H: Spain and either ukraine or KSA

Saudi Arabia along with korea and japan are my favorite asian teams. I hope japan and korea can keep up their form from last world cup. this is saudi arabia's 4th world cup. they did pretty well in their first appearence in '94, but have been performing horribly since then. i hope saudi arabia play some good football this time.

Rabz
December 12, 2005, 03:19 AM
im gonna be rootin hard for aussies..not surprisingly..

i think they hv an outside chance of being in the second round...but its gonna be hard one though...
they r havin it hard...same group with brazil ( the best of the best), japan (fighters) croatians ( semi finalist 98)...

did u guys know 8 of aussie soccer players hv croat background including mark viduka....n few of croat players were born n started thier early soccer days in oz..

one local croatian newspaper already labelled it as croatia I vs croatia II....ha ha...

but with the quality of their players n gus hiddink as coach...i beleive the group is quite wide open after brazil...given they all lost to brazil...each team would need a draw n win to scrap thru round 2...

n e wys..my team for wc would be:

1 brazil (always)
2 australia
3 italy
4 holland
5 portugal
n in distant 210... argentina...want them to loose all the match..( as u can understand being a brazilian superfan...)

remember last wc final...oh it was just gr8...watched with couple of my brazilian mates in a club full of brazilian n thier supporters..n then marched with them around the city with their samba in the middle of the night till the mornin..it was good fun...

n god those brazilian chicks can shake thier booty ........ ;)

howzatt!
December 12, 2005, 03:34 AM
its true that with guus hiddink as their coach australia can really do some wonders. the man behind korea's success in last world cup was guus hiddink. also, just like sydney i want argentina to lose all the matches.

Banglatiger84
December 12, 2005, 11:17 AM
I have never understood the "Brazil-Argentina" rivalry that exists between BANGLADESHI fans :rolleyes:

I mean both sides have their supporters, but only in our country are the two groups of supporters so polarized.

People literally fight and beat each other over that ! Another thign i have noticed is that to many people. its "incool" to support a European side.

Many Bangladeshis view the world cup as a great showdown between "us" (brown and black people), and "them" (the whites).

And evreyrtime Brazil or argentina doesnt win, the papers are filled with conspiracy theories on how theeuropeans dont want poor countries to win :P

Tigers_eye
December 12, 2005, 02:00 PM
Brazil is a chomok team. I am a die hard fan of them. Anyone old enough to see the '82 team?

That was the best team I have ever seen. Falcao, Junior, Eder, Socretis, Zico and so many superstars. They revulationized Samba Football. One touch Football at her best. Everyone could play almost at every position. Imagine that. If is was not for Paola Rossi they would have surely hold the cup. The loss still lingers in my heart.

Tigers_eye
December 12, 2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Banglatiger84
Many Bangladeshis view the world cup as a great showdown between "us" (brown and black people), and "them" (the whites).

And evreyrtime Brazil or argentina doesnt win, the papers are filled with conspiracy theories on how theeuropeans dont want poor countries to win :P
1966 World Cup Made sure of that. There wasn't any conspiricy theory it was fact that the English made sure Portugal beats up Pele and Co. in the group match. Pele vowed never to play again after that WC.

Beamer
December 12, 2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Brazil is a chomok team. I am a die hard fan of them. Anyone old enough to see the '82 team?

That was the best team I have ever seen. Falcao, Junior, Eder, Socretis, Zico and so many superstars. They revulationized Samba Football. One touch Football at her best. Everyone could play almost at every position. Imagine that. If is was not for Paola Rossi they would have surely hold the cup. The loss still lingers in my heart.

They had a one glaring problem but a huge one nonetheless. It was their keeper. He was terrible and somewhat responsible for their demise. Also, defenders were pretty suspect. Italy had the famous Dino Zoff !

Beamer
December 12, 2005, 03:52 PM
Also in '82 cup, Germany and Austria ( the german brethens ) totally conspired to make sure Algeria didn't go through. Algeria actually beat Germany in the group level. I don't remember the score line of that Germnay-Austria match, but whatever it was, the outcome made sure Algeria didn't get through.

Argentina is also guilty of a "patano" match in '78 WC ( which they won at home ) to make sure Brazil couldn't advance. Argentina beat Chile 6-0 in that utter shameful game. I saw videos of it in '80s and trust me, some of the goals that Chile gave up was comedic and hated Argentina always for that.

oracle
December 12, 2005, 04:30 PM
Ever since Cameroon ( the shining light of that year) failed to beat England in 1990, you know Italia 90, i hesitated to throw in my lot with the brown or black people.:P
So now i go for genuine underdogs. Like Bangladesh.

For this WC here is my prediction. With genuine underdog in brackets:

A- Germany;Costa Rica (Ecuador)
B-Paraguay;Sweden (England)Yes, no typo here, England is always an underdog in WC.
C-Argentina;Holland(Ivory Coast)
D-Mexico;Portugal(iran)
E-Italy;USA(Czech Rep)
F-Brazil;Croatia(Australia)
G- France;S Korea(Togo)
H-Spain;Ukraine(Tunisia)

I will root for Paraguay but it will be Holland all the way this time.:clap:

Edited on, December 12, 2005, 9:31 PM GMT, by oracle.

Tigers_eye
December 12, 2005, 04:43 PM
My wish list of qualifiers:

GROUP A: Germany, Poland

GROUP B: Sweden, England

GROUP C: Argentina, Holland

GROUP D: Portugal, Iran (Mexico)

GROUP E: Italy, Czech Republic, (USA)

GROUP F: Brazil, Croatia (Japan)

GROUP G: France, South Korea

GROUP H: Spain, Tunisia

That makes at least 5 teams and at most 6 teams outside Europe making it to the second round. I highly doubt it though.

fab
December 13, 2005, 12:56 AM
I will probably end up supporting the most economically weak country in each group (i.e. the most poorest country). Except for Group F of course, it's not often we get to support Australia in the football WC..

PoorFan
December 13, 2005, 02:23 AM
Here is my choice of second round.

GROUP A Germany Ecuador
GROUP B England Sweden
GROUP C Argentina Holland
GROUP D Mexico Portugal
GROUP E Italy Czech Republic
GROUP F Brazil Croatia
GROUP G France Switzerland
GROUP H Spain Ukraine

None of asia and africa will be able to make in second round!

thebest
December 13, 2005, 03:08 AM
Here is my well thought(?):P prediction. In braces the other contender and my reason for the chomok

Group A: Germany, Poland (Costarica)
Group B: Sweden England
Group C: Argentina, Holland ( Serbia)
Group D: Potugal, Mexico (Iran , I wish)
Group E: Czech, Ghana (Italy as they are slow starter of any Tourny)
Group F: Brazil, Japan (Croatia/ Ausas equal chance of Japan)
Group G: France, Korea
Group H: Ukraine, Tunesia (Spain has big match stage fobia, the real underachiver)

Edited on, December 13, 2005, 8:09 AM GMT, by thebest.
Reason: grammer

Banglatiger84
December 13, 2005, 05:51 AM
Also in '82 cup, Germany and Austria ( the german brethens ) totally conspired to make sure Algeria didn't go through. Algeria actually beat Germany in the group level. I don't remember the score line of that Germnay-Austria match, but whatever it was, the outcome made sure Algeria didn't get through.

Argentina is also guilty of a "patano" match in '78 WC ( which they won at home ) to make sure Brazil couldn't advance. Argentina beat Chile 6-0 in that utter shameful game. I saw videos of it in '80s and trust me, some of the goals that Chile gave up was comedic and hated Argentina always for that.

In the first case, the scenario was that Germany needed ot beat Austria exactly 1-0. If it was more than that Austria would lose out, and if it was draw or austria win, germany would lose. So Germany scored inside 10 minutes, after that they both played out a drab match hell-bent on not scoring.

In 2nd case, it was Peru and not Chile.

Also the Peruvian GK was born in the same argentinian city where match was held and apparently had strong"ties" with his birthplace

Beamer
December 13, 2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the correction Banglatiger84. It was indeed Peru, and not Chile. But, readers get my point.