PDA

View Full Version : DS: Another thorny DOHS crown

TheWatcher
February 1, 2006, 02:55 PM
DS Report (http://thedailystar.net/2006/02/02/d60202040125.htm)

...the manner in which the victory was achieved spoiled the title-triumph of Akram Khan's men for a second successive year after Biman alleged that they were robbed of a certain win by the umpires, who let loose a comedy of errors during the Biman chase.

Riding on a fluent 109 by national opener Javed Omar Belim, Biman were well placed to overtake DOHS' 230 as they entered the final 10 overs needing only 30 runs for victory and with five wickets standing.

But three questionable leg-before decisions by umpires Jahangir Alam and Mahfuzur Rahman saw Biman bowled out for 225 in 46.2 overs.

Discarded national all-rounder Mushfiqur Rahman looked menacing on 24 when he became the first victim of what Biman officials later claimed 'the first of a series of biased rulings from umpires'. Wicket-keeper-batsman Sajjad Kadir (4) was the next victim of a surprisingly quick demise of Biman.

The sparse audience at the BKSP smelled something dirty no sooner Biman started their chase, and it was nakedly exposed when umpire Jahangir ruled Shahriar Hossain out caught at short cover though it was clearly seen from the distance that Kenyan Steve Tikolo had palmed it off the bounce.

When the match entered its final act officials of Biman were seen busy shouting at their batsmen in the middle: "Don't let the ball hit your pad."

After the match furious Biman players and officials were seen involved in a mock celebration for DOHS' title triumph. The winners however were not in a festive mood despite yet another successful year that saw them thrash Mohammedan Sporting Club by 121 runs in the previous match at the same venue.

DOHS captain Akram Khan however ruled out any nepotism by the men in uniform saying that it was not uncommon to see one or two wrong decisions in a match.

It can be mentioned that last year teams also complained against umpires of favouring DOHS. The situation was at its worst in the last league match against Brothers Union when an umpire called a no-ball after the last DOHS batsman was clean bowled.

An interesting episode took place during the match. A number of BKSP students were watching the proceedings during the Biman chase when a former national cricketer ran towards them and said: "Boys, please don't see the match otherwise you will lose your interest if you watch this kind of farce in the name of cricket."

And as it has always been the case match referee Belayet Hossain found nothing wrong in the match.

Edited on, February 1, 2006, 8:02 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

sadi
February 1, 2006, 03:01 PM
not good..... football e ase patano khela ar cricket e umpire chor... jabo koi amra?

Fazal
February 1, 2006, 03:10 PM
We heard similar accusation from last year also against DOHS.

Hmmmm... doesn't look good.

btw great comeback by Shonargaon. great jon Ash and Co.

Sauron
February 1, 2006, 03:18 PM
No one knows where these umpires live? Phone numbers? ...

cricket_pagol
February 1, 2006, 03:21 PM
This is kinda sad... I did not expect DOHS to be involved in this type of accusation.

BTW, excellent fightback by Sonargaon, happy for Ash

esteban_loaiza
February 2, 2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by sadi
not good..... football e ase patano khela ar cricket e umpire chor... jabo koi amra?

"Patano Khela" is in cricket too. Dont know what happens these days but in 80s and 90s all the teams played fixed match. Abahoni, Mohammedan, Surja Tarun, Biman, Kalabagan, Brothers and everybody and everybody. It was as nasty as it can be. I have seen the captain of one of the teams (national player at that time) shouting toward the dressing room of the other that why he was not "given" four wickets as promised. I have never seen someone getting so shameless in my life. May be the trend is still there. And may be we should ask Akram Khan about this. He is around here the longest. He is supposed to know if the umpire was doing anything partial. He has already made some comments defending his team's position. May be he understands more than that.......

TheWatcher
February 2, 2006, 01:29 PM
Jamil wants to find the truth (http://thedailystar.net/2006/02/03/d60203040637.htm)

Is it just a diversion trying to hold Umpires' commitee and the match referee responsible for the mess? Because the chairman said he himself is a member of Old DHOS club.

Tigers_eye
February 2, 2006, 03:10 PM
"Everything depends on his reports and if it claims that the match was clean, what can I do?" what kind of response is this by the Chairman of Cricket Committee of Dhaka Metropolis (CCDM) Khondokar Jamiluddin?

There is a video footage. Witnesses. Ban these suckers (umpires). Fine and take away the title from DOHS (which I support) if he finds anything that is not included in the match report.

RazabQ
February 2, 2006, 03:56 PM
http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/02/03/d60203040637.htm

The gist of it is that the big boss says he cares greatly about any hint of skullduggery and will investigate.

Also of note was mention of video footage. So we have TV coverage of Premier League matches????

sadi
February 2, 2006, 04:42 PM
there must be something he can do... i mean what if the match referee is involved in this... you will never get a report... he better look for evidence somewhere else...