PDA

View Full Version : Who got the best shot?

BappyHayat
February 2, 2006, 06:16 AM
Guys...Trying to start a different thread...Lets say: pick some of the common shots in cricket and pick the best Bangladeshi players. Shots like Cover Drive, Pull/Hook, Flick, Cut etc

Cover Drive:
----------------
My Choice: Md Ashraful
Closers: Hannan Sarkar, Mehrab Hossain

Square Cut/ Cut:
--------------------
My Choice: Javed Omar
Closers: Md. Ashraful, Aminul Islam

Straight Drive:
------------------
My Choice: Shahriar Hossain Biddut
Closers: Atahar Ali Khan, Al Shahriar Rokon

Flick/Glance:
-----------------
My Choice: Atahar Ali Khan
Closers: Jahangir Alam, Alok Kapali

Pull/Hook
------------
My Choice: Habibul Bashar
Closers: Md Ashraful, Aftab Ahmed

Sweep
---------
My Choice: Khaled Masud Pilot
Closers: Aminul Islam, Md Ashraful

Steer
--------
My Choice: Minhazul Abedin
Closers: Khaled Masud Pilot, Aminul Islam

Now Unorthodox Shots: Reverse Sweep
-----------------------------------------------
My Choice: Jahangir Alam Talukder Dulu (Danger Dulu)
Closers: No One (!!)

Big Hitters/Sloggers (No specific shots)
------------------------------------------------
My Choice: Md Rafique
Closers: Akram Khan, Khaled Mahmud Sujon

That’s completely my opinion, please post yours too...

Edited on, February 2, 2006, 11:21 AM GMT, by BappyHayat.

cricbb
February 2, 2006, 08:34 AM
:love::tiger::heart:::tiger:;)

my choice: da little master ash has da best shot in all aspests of the game

arafath79
February 2, 2006, 12:51 PM
Aftab , Rafique & Ash

Carte Blanche
February 2, 2006, 01:10 PM
I think you got all the parts right. I'd just like to add straight on drive to that list, arguably the hardest shot to play in the book. Nobody gets close to Bulbul when it comes to on drive. His shots were magical. Atahar would come a close 2nd.

Sauron
February 2, 2006, 01:27 PM
my choice - <font size=+2>Chacha.</font>

<font size=+1>Chacha for president!</font>

Love u Chacha.

Kana-Baba
February 2, 2006, 02:03 PM
Very good post indeed. Good analysis too.
Agree with most of the part except straight drive - my choice is Atahar Ali Khan. Boy O boy, I still remember his straight drives against Wakar Yunus in the very first over at BNS – just sheer act of class.

Fazal
February 2, 2006, 02:23 PM
Yes good post BappyHayat.

Sorry I couldn't resist by keep smiling reading...

Originally posted by BappyHayat
Pull/Hook
------------
My Choice: Habibul Bashar

beacuse this pull shot is the one, which is causing so much trouble for Bashar.

Not that hois pull shot is not good... but then again it makes me :P

rudro
February 2, 2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Kana-Baba
Very good post indeed. Good analysis too.
Agree with most of the part except straight drive - my choice is Atahar Ali Khan. Boy O boy, I still remember his straight drives against Wakar Yunus in the very first over at BNS – just sheer act of class.
Yes!! Good to see that I am not the only one who remembers that moment of the Asia Cup.

babubangla
February 2, 2006, 02:42 PM
Nice Post!!
Ranking players by type of shot!!
You must have a sharp eye and good memory.

I could not add anything to your post.
I’ll have to first think deep or look-up somewhere to figure out what those shots actually mean !!:lol:

Tigers_eye
February 2, 2006, 03:17 PM
Good thread!
Raqibul'rey kothao dukano jai na?

Edited on, February 2, 2006, 8:18 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

Ahmed_B
February 2, 2006, 03:24 PM
Great post ...I must say. You have very good eye for shots and also on the players. :up:

I just want to add an observation of mine on two of our younger players: Aftab and Shahriar Nafees are probably very very strong off the legs. Thei just simply dispatch those to the bounderies and sometimes even over-bounderies.

And I remember exactly what u mean by this:

Edited on, February 2, 2006, 8:31 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.

BappyHayat
February 2, 2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys...for your positive replies. This was really my first positive thread...and will encourage me to create some different threads...cheers

imran78
February 2, 2006, 10:33 PM
Closers: No One (!!)

Ahsraful has the reverse sweep also. i saw him play a couple during the match against england last year.

Hatebreed
February 3, 2006, 12:17 AM
Ash has mastered most of these shots.. the way he slaughtered the English bowlers for his 94 off 53 was awesome! he's a gr8 hooker/puller... lol hooker kinda sounded gay didn't it...

umm he's also played some of the best sweep shots and down-the-track cover drives...

aftab ahmed also plays some amazing shots... Rafique bats like he's digging the soil with a 'kodal'.. works for him!

:fanflag:

Mahir
February 3, 2006, 02:27 AM
really, nicely summed up list. Tried hard, but couldnt think of adding anything, except this one bit :

Square drive isnt the same shot as a square cut, but they could very well fall in the same category. And Shahriar Biddyut belongs there. Remember his memorable knock against Pakistan in the WC'99 ?

Ehsan
February 3, 2006, 02:13 PM
Good post. For cover drive I'll put JO at the top, and for sqaure cut Ash was the best earlier but JO has mastered it recently. Ash may be the best in cut though.

Cover Drive:
----------------
My Choice: Md Ashraful
Closers: Hannan Sarkar, Mehrab Hossain

Square Cut/ Cut:
--------------------
My Choice: Javed Omar
Closers: Md. Ashraful, Aminul Islam

Edited on, February 2, 2006, 11:21 AM GMT, by BappyHayat.

Ehsan
February 3, 2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Square drive isnt the same shot as a square cut, but they could very well fall in the same category. And Shahriar Biddyut belongs there. Remember his memorable knock against Pakistan in the WC'99 ?

I believe its more or less the same thing. From my knowledge, I think when its hit really hard they call it square cut and when you just really drive the ball, that is guide the ball then it is called square drive.

Check this out:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/skills/4172892.stm

Mohiul
February 3, 2006, 02:58 PM
Bappy bhai, Akram Khan is not slogger. You've got wrong point.

BappyHayat
February 5, 2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by bdcricmad
Bappy bhai, Akram Khan is not slogger. You've got wrong point.

SORRY BHAIA, if I heart u and other AKRAM KHAN FANS, he's one of my fav too (as I'm from CTG too!!)

I know Akram Khan is not a slogger...he got all the shots...but he is definately a big hitter...which was one of the alternate option

Anyway thanks for your post

cricman
March 1, 2006, 05:49 PM
Message deleted by cricman (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/member.php?u=1252)

Hasib
March 1, 2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Ahmed_B

And I remember exactly what u mean by this:

Edited on, February 2, 2006, 8:31 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.

Whats the story behind this one?

exotic
March 1, 2006, 09:59 PM
Great post. Exceptionally good observations about the players and agree with you totally.

Watching Dulu batting, was real fun. Still can remember him walking down the pitch against pacers and then try the reverse 'pull' (its true! not sweep), was unique indeed.

Bulbul used to play the inside out lofted extra cover drivers to the perfections. In one of the ODIs against India (where he scored 69, not sure though) he played some of those shots against Utpal Chatterje. Bulbul was also very good at playing those finest of the sweeps just past the keeper.

Nannu was also able to play some amazing shots. One of those was the sixes over the cover with minimum efforts. His brother Nobel had powerful cut shots and flicks off the hip.

Someone was mentioning about Raqibul, I think he was the master of copybook defensive shots where I guess he literally could smell the ball.

I still remeber Shipon flicking Wasim Akram for six (Akram was playing for Abahani, is that sound obvious that I am a Mohammedan supporter, indeed i am a die-hard supporter). He was a wonderful player but couldn't just make it to the top as Biddyut and Rokon (these two guys are real waste of potential).

Its nice to see so many enthusiastic supporters here, specially those living abroad. How the hell I have missed this place for so long. I hope it will be a nice time here for me, and I am really very much optimistic about the future of our team, we will definitely make it to the top within next 5 years. The first test match against Sri Lanka might be the first step towards that, well i have mentioned earlier I am highly optimistic as far as B'desh cricket is concerned.

Shafin
March 1, 2006, 10:48 PM
A great first post.

বাংলাক্রিকেটে স্বাগতম,এক্সোটিক

roaring_tiger
March 2, 2006, 01:18 AM
great post...!!

but I also liked the straight drive of Faruque Ahmed

hey "Carte Blanche" .... your footnote is fantastic

BappyHayat
March 2, 2006, 01:42 AM
Exotic...

Thanks for your impressive reply...you've got a cool memory...I also can remember the SIX hit by shipon...though I'm an ABAHONY supporter :mad:

Edited on, March 2, 2006, 6:43 AM GMT, by BappyHayat.

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2006, 02:16 PM
i remember dulu saying in an interview that if he got picked for the 99 world cup squad, he'd try out his reverse "sweep" (not "pull") against wasim akram, curtley ambrose, etc.