2 Tests & 3 ODIs vs. SL in BD
3 or 4 ODIs vs. Ken in BD
2 Tests & 3 ODIs vs. Aus in BD
1 or 2 ODI(s) in ICC Champions Trophy in Ind
2 Tests & 3 ODIs vs. IND in BD
2 Tests & 3 ODIs vs. NZ in NZ
2 Tests & 3 ODIs vs. ENG in BD

TOTAL: 10 Tests & from 18 to 21 ODIs

That's a lot of games for the World Cup preparation year, don't you think? One bad match and we may lose Mashrafee or some one else to injury just before the World Cup. There is the possiblity of the players getting fatigue for those players who would be playing all those games - Tests & ODIs.

TheWatcher
February 2, 2006, 09:39 AM
India coming to Bangladesh before WC? thought they are coming next year. Also, I believe England canceled their tour of Bangladesh in February, 2007, to take part in VB series in Australia.

Fazal
February 2, 2006, 09:42 AM
Yes lots of games.

I know some people will not like it, but I have to say again...

We may consider to increase the core team adding few more young players. And then rotate the players so that key players get some rest, as well as, young players get some exposure and experince. And the younger players will be better prepeared to step in due to retirement/off-form/injury of older players in the team in future.

mafizraju
February 2, 2006, 10:03 AM
i disagree with fazal.......... young lads must learn the game by playing for A team and age group cricket. The A team tour should be stepped up few gears so that they are as busy as the national side......may be even more

Tigers_eye
February 2, 2006, 10:04 AM
Mash has chosen the path of Bond. The luck has deserted these two. I think both of them have learned their lesson and will be extra cautious.

I am glad we have so many tests and ODIs. We need all the experience we can have for the long run. Concentrating for WC 07 is a short term goal but not the main goal.

TheWatcher
February 2, 2006, 10:15 AM
Still don't see any reason to be excited, no country has commited anything to us in the period between the Champions Trophy and the WC. Everyone is looking for a better opponent to play in their run up to West Indies.

Edited on, February 2, 2006, 3:15 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

rio
February 2, 2006, 12:12 PM
It is really nothing to be excited about as TheWatcher had said.

In fact, we have very few games after April (i.e. after Australia's visit).

1.) India won’t be touring in October but right after the World Cup (for a tri-series and 2 test matches).

2.) England has already cancelled its tour (because of the VB series) and would be touring sometime later.

3.) We would be playing 1 or 2 ODIs in the Champions Trophy (provided we don’t qualify for the main event)

4.) We may play about 5 ODIs if Pakistan agrees to host the Asia Cup in September (right after their England tour ends). Bit it seems unlikely that Pakistan would agree to play right after that long tour.

5.)About the New Zealand tour... we were supposed to go there in December(according to FTP)....but it was strange when NZC officials were talking about us taking India's place when India cancelled it's tour....as if we were not supposed to go there in the first place.

6.) Another ACC event, the Asian Test Championship was supposed to take place in Jan-Feb in India. The BCCI surely won’t allow ACC to earn some extra bucks at their expense, and also never heard anything about it from the ACC officials. So the chances of that tournament taking place are grim.

So without the Asia Cup and the Asian Test Championship, we have just 4 or 5 ODIs and 2 test matches, not an ideal preparation for the WC. So the only option left to us is to invite Kenya, Zimbabwe and the 6 associate members with ODI status. A tour of Bermuda won’t be bad either to get used to the conditions in the Caribbean, where we could play a 3 match ODI series (I don’t know whether they would be eager to host us as we are in the same group).

Fazal
February 2, 2006, 12:17 PM
I understand the sentiment about young lads must learn the game by playing for A team and age group cricket. Not that I disagree with that sentiment as long as we can constantly push them (the better ones) with superior challenge.

However I think I need to explain a little bit more in my part, why I thought that way.

After they have learnt the game in age group and consistently show their superior performance, what do you do? Play them in team-a? Good. What happens if they still show superior performance? Still play them in team-a against UAE and Kenya, ZIM (team-A) type of teams?

Playing in team-a against UAE, Kenya, ZIM (team-a) & Co. and low quality domestic league with not take this kids too much unless BCB can arrange more team-a tour against other strong team-a of test playing nations. Some of these kids need constant challenge to improve.

Now what is plan BCB have with the team-a? Few games here and there against weacker team? That's it? Any one have any information?

TheWatcher
February 2, 2006, 12:35 PM
Fazal is one way right that number of A-team matches are also drying out. Afro-Asia A Cup supposed to take place sometime in March, but don't think ACC will be ever able to fund it or to get other countries to send their A teams. Sri Lanka refused to waste time playing practice matches during their tour, Australia will do the same. Only Kenya is supposed to play one or two practice matches against BD-A.

But disagree with Fazal that serieses with Zim-A were useless. Senior national discards were leading scorers in the home series against Zim-A. In the away version, Raqib, Mushfiqur, Saqib, and Shamsur had some success, so did our current nationals Tushar, Rasel, Abir, and Shahadat. Both of the serieses, as far I remember, were competitive, and I believe our young boys can learn a lot from another such tour to Zimbabwe.

Edited on, February 2, 2006, 5:59 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

sadi
February 2, 2006, 01:56 PM
I think the best solution is if possible send the A team to play some domestic cricket abroad.... Duleep trophy or whatever trophy they play in Pakistan will definately help...

TheWatcher
February 2, 2006, 02:49 PM
Or, BCCB can arrange individual players to play for different overseas clubs, like they did last year- send couple of the kids to MCC, couple more to a Australian league (hopefully a more competitive one than Darwin league), and two more to Commonwealth Academy.

oracle
February 2, 2006, 02:51 PM
I wonder if it is a bit late to get our A team to West Indies to play in the Busta Cup. Otherwise Pakistan is a good opponent forsome pre WC match practice.

ajithlalm
February 2, 2006, 03:32 PM
I strongly agree about rotation and giving younger players some chances before the world cup. this is one of the reason I want bangldesh to play against the associate countries.

we need to pick from a pool of 25 to 30 players who has some exposure to the international cricket for the worldcup, not just 15 to 18 players who had internatinal exposure.

There should be competition for places in the team. Nobody's place should be granted free.

There should be a fear that if I do not play well someone will grab my chair, so I have to give my 100 percent.

sadi
February 2, 2006, 04:44 PM
we will need two keepers for the world cup 07... so i say pick musfiq rahim after the under-19 world cup and keep him in the squad.... let him play some practice matches when they go on tour... let him get some exposure...

fwullah
February 3, 2006, 07:39 AM
Revised No. of International matches:

2 Tests & 3 ODIs vs. SL in BD
3 or 4 ODIs vs. Ken in BD
2 Tests & 3 ODIs vs. Aus in BD
1 or 2 ODI(s) in ICC Champions Trophy in Ind
2 Tests & 3 ODIs vs. NZ in NZ

TOTAL: 6 Tests & from 13 to 15 ODIs

Then we'll get only 6 tests & 13 to 15 ODIs to play before the World Cup? That makes life tough for the youngsters and for those who would like to play in the world cup, but not yet in the team (for example: U-19 players). Because it is a bad idea to pick completely inexperienced players in such a big tournament like the World Cup. This was our problem in the last World Cup. We had too many inexperienced and young players in our side, and our experienced and senior players were not exactly guiding those huge number of inexperienced players properly in the side.

Ofcourse, I'm talking about Short Term goals here, the long term goal should be very different - like winning our 2nd test match (and may be 2nd test series win) against whatever opposition.

Tigers_eye
February 3, 2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Fazal
After they have learnt the game in age group and consistently show their superior performance, what do you do? Play them in team-a? Good. What happens if they still show superior performance? Still play them in team-a against UAE and Kenya, ZIM (team-A) type of teams?

Playing in team-a against UAE, Kenya, ZIM (team-a) & Co. and low quality domestic league with not take this kids too much unless BCB can arrange more team-a tour against other strong team-a of test playing nations. Some of these kids need constant challenge to improve.

Now what is plan BCB have with the team-a? Few games here and there against weacker team? That's it? Any one have any information?

Playing this under 19 team (after the U-19 World cup) against weaker opponents is not the answer. Bringing them into national team this early is not the answer as well. Even letting them get a crack at BD - A wouldn't be wise. As some of the members have mentioned sending them to other countries and play in their domestic cricket would give them valuable experience. County cricket, Deleep trophy, busta cup are good ones. They shouldn't be labeled as the A team. May be Presidential XI or Priminister XI whatever.

Kat-koila na porailey matha boro hoiye jabey. All this hard work will get washed away.

Edited on, February 3, 2006, 2:12 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

sadi
February 3, 2006, 09:19 AM
agreed..... let them get a feeling of how hard the international cricket is and let them get prepared for it.... they should be totally prepared when they come to the national team... national team is not a place to learn.... its a place to perform....

mshakir56
February 4, 2006, 03:10 AM
That certainly is a lot of games, and a lot of pressure.

al Furqaan
February 5, 2006, 12:56 AM
15 ODIs is enough...tho i would like more.

we need about 9 tests tho.

with new venues we should push for at least one home 3 test/5 ODI series.

the rest should be 2 test/5 ODI

imran78
February 5, 2006, 01:22 AM
even SL has a hard time getting 3 test series'. i doubt BD will get more than 2 any time soon.