PDA

View Full Version : Sri Lanka to rest key players for BD tour - can't blame 'em

RazabQ
February 4, 2006, 01:12 AM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/235668.html

Looks like Maravan, Muthiah and Chaminda will be rested. Looking over our performance - or a serious lack thereof - against the Lankan lions, I can't say I find this selectoral decision to be overly insulting. If anything, maybe this will give our boys a boost to be competitive for once; against SL i.e. Besides, I have fond memories of the last time a Test nation decided to rest key players during a match against BD :)

mona
February 4, 2006, 02:05 AM
It's strange that they'd even appoint a new captain..

Still.. they've had a hectic year starting last July. It's been West Indies, WI/India, Bangladesh, India, New Zealand, Australia/SA, Bangladesh, Pakistan and England is this May. I think the most they've had off at one time is about two weeks before the Bangladesh tour, otherwise they go home for three days and then leave again.

esteban_loaiza
February 4, 2006, 02:07 AM
If vaas isnt there we can make fast and sporting pitch, like the one when india visted and set our pacemen after the Sri Lankan batsmen............................

mshakir56
February 4, 2006, 02:57 AM
thats good for us.

fwullah
February 4, 2006, 05:56 AM
However, Jayasuriya, Jawardena, Sangakara and Dilshan will still be batting, and Fernando, Zoysa will still be there in Bangladesh.

thebest
February 4, 2006, 06:01 AM
It is good news. I hope our players feel insulted enough and beat them. So that they or for that matter in other team send an A team to play test againest Bangladesh. I have the conviction Bangladesh can beat SL minus Vaas and Murali. This lead SL with only one proven matchwinner Jaysuria.

AsifTheManRahman
February 4, 2006, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by RazabQ
Besides, I have fond memories of the last time a Test nation decided to rest key players during a match against BD :)

a test playing nation - not sri lanka. the last time they rested more than half a dozen of their test players, we got raped mercilessly (as usual).

battye
February 4, 2006, 07:44 AM
Besides, I have fond memories of the last time a Test nation decided to rest key players during a match against BD :)

What happened?

Hatebreed
February 4, 2006, 07:55 AM
Probably talking about India or Australia..

Ahmed_B
February 4, 2006, 08:06 AM
Personally... I wouldn't bother much about the squad change.... even though absence of Murali & Vaas is a factor. All I want to see is a turn-around performance by BD from what they have been doing vs. the SriLankans so far. And I believe that depends more on BD's game-spirit rather than SL Squad configuration. This spirit is what has been lacking in our team so far everytime they played SL. Somehow they are absolutely not confident/determined against this team.

I would be very disappointed if BD team once again puts up a dull show this time. Besides.... our bowlers were pretty mediocre against the SL batting.. and that SL is coming to BD with that same Batting Strength.

Rubu
February 4, 2006, 09:07 AM
I like this decision actually. We don't have to face vaas and murali. good for us. now just that if we could do something so that they do not dare to do anything like this in the future :)

Spitfire_x86
February 4, 2006, 10:05 AM
Good news. It may help us to be more competitive. Unless our batsmen keeps giving away their wickets to bowlers like Dilhara Fernando, making a good score won't be difficult.

cricman
February 4, 2006, 10:34 AM
I think we'll win a game, but there's chance for a series win also

CricTiger
February 4, 2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by mshakir56
thats good for us.

It does not matter whom SL is sending can we still beat them? Our records against them are not that impressive. This time can we at least shake up their confidence and take the test to 5th day or make this series a closely contested one?

SL will again beat us badly unless we improve ourselves. It’s not them it’s us with whom we have to fight and win. BD’s fear of facing a SL and lack of concentration costing BD a lot.

aosaif
February 4, 2006, 11:43 AM
Bashar and co. better be fuggin tuning up big time right now. If they fail in this series.....it's their heads!!! Honestly, no excuses. You got your break.....you're getting your ace bowler back.....your playing at home. Bloody do something for the damn country!

(mine is a moderate voice usually.....trust me );)

chinaman
February 4, 2006, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't dwell much into the opponent's selection policy. However, if that is the case, God helps the Lankans, they are in for a big surprise.

fwullah
February 4, 2006, 12:07 PM
I support Ahmed_B's sentiment 100 percent. Our national players are just not determined enough to play well whenever they play against Sri Lanka.

You know the last time we played against Sri Lanka - Tillekeratne Dilshan and Mahela Jayawardena were the most impressive with the bat against us, not Jayasuriya.

And even without Vaas and Murali in the ODIs, we were still badly beaten by younger and least-famous Sri Lankan bowlers all the time.

Moreoever, Murali will be back in the tests. So we can't just forget about him completely.

al Furqaan
February 4, 2006, 12:43 PM
if vaas and murali are absent we should win at least one match.

6alltheway
February 4, 2006, 01:18 PM
thats good for us, without them im sure it will be easier for BD.

the only thing i can say is with a FULL strength side anyone can beat us, but fielding a weak side, we can beat them.

reza_15
February 4, 2006, 01:22 PM
I think it would be really good for us if murali doesn't play because i remember one of Bashar's interview when he comments about facing murali to be the most challenging thing to him.

CricTiger
February 4, 2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by reza_15
I think it would be really good for us if murali doesn't play because i remember one of Bashar's interview when he comments about facing murali to be the most challenging thing to him.

In out last outings,Murali or Vass did not destroy us some one else did it for SL.In every series we make one unknown bowler a hero so eager to see who will be next one from SL.

mahrookh
February 4, 2006, 07:18 PM
Why not resting "Lashith Malinga" ? That's only fear of tigers now a days .

sadi
February 4, 2006, 07:20 PM
make a good batting track and lets go for the draw... this time we should really be positive and go for it... no excuse

Flipper
February 4, 2006, 07:26 PM
I agree with some of you, we are going to see atleast one win in the ODIs.

Resting Key players/regular players changes a team's structure, it's mind-set. No matter how telented the rest of the guys are, it's never the same team. India knows it the hard way.

We should be going for the jugular in every single games!

sufism
February 4, 2006, 07:33 PM
there is a saying "allah jokhon dey, ujar kore dey". we got kicked by them everytime. may b this is our turn. lol. ek duita ODI hoyto amra jiteo jete pari since they r resting some of their key players. may b i m just being way too optimistic. but i would at least expect them to play competetive cricket in most of the ODI's. and about test matches, at least make it to the 5th day, 1st session, in both of the matches. that's doable consedering they r not playing Vaas and Murali.

al Furqaan
February 4, 2006, 08:26 PM
vaas, attapattu, and murali will be retiring shortly anyway.

and i know if we have any success this tour the critics (and some on the board) will say:

"it was a weakened Lankan side, they left out vaas, murali and co."

to which i say:

"what did they do in the last series against us?"

we have a terrible habit of flaying the greats, only to make a superstar of some scrub.

biggest example:

harmy and flintoff got spanked like little kids but john lewis and chris tremlett were on hattricks!!!

but i have faith in our boys...the return of mash, the new venues, should give them the psychological edge to play well.

rudro
February 5, 2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by cricman
I think we'll win a game, but there's chance for a series win also
Akash-Kushum kolpona baad dile hoi na?
Name a player in our side who's batting compares to Joysuria's, Sangakara's or Dilshan's.
Name a bowler in our side who's spin is comparble to Bandara's (who mesmerized top county teams last season).

Mahir
February 5, 2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by rudro
Name a bowler in our side who's spin is comparble to Bandara's (who mesmerized top county teams last season).

Ok... lets forget for a moment that Rafique exists. How about Enamul Jr ? Do I get atleast 9 marks out of 10 for coming up with a name ?

Mahir
February 5, 2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by battye
What happened?

Originally posted by Hatebreed
Probably talking about India or Australia..

Well, RazabQ's post certainly hints on India's sufferings at Dhaka. But that was an ODI. And when did Australia rested key players ? Certainly not on June 18, 2005 at Sophia Gardens!

But RazabQ, I do echo on Asif's comments... last time a Test nation rested its key players in_a_Test match, it didnt make one bit difference. We were handed some very brutal memories.

But this time, maybe things are nicely set for a change...

rudro
February 5, 2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Originally posted by rudro

Ok... lets forget for a moment that Rafique exists. How about Enamul Jr ? Do I get atleast 9 marks out of 10 for coming up with a name ?

Yes. Rafique can be matched with Bandara/Chandana. But I bet lots of SL spinners like Enamul (who are yet to prove themselves) are awaiting to be picked by SL domestic club teams.