PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh and Left Armers

Carte Blanche
February 8, 2006, 06:07 AM
Four left-armers were used by Bangladesh captain Mushfiqur Rahim - Sakib, Nabil Samad Chowdhury, Md. Sohrawardi and Mehrab Hossain and between them the quartet tied the Pakistan batsmen in knots.

4 left armers! It's no secret that lately BD has been a SLA factory. It can't be a bad thing as they all turn the ball away from the typical right handed batsmen. Now what I'm wondering is why aren't we able to produce quality southpaw batsmen in same proportion. I know it's a dumb question asking why aren't more people batting left-handed, but it certainly would help us more if we had a few lefties in our top order. It'll make life harder for the opposition as they'll need to change the field almost every other ball and also force the bowlers to adjust their rhythm on a regular basis. I admit I'm biased towards left handed batsmen for aesthetic reasons, but I'd love to see more lefties in the top order for more practical reasons.

RazabQ
February 8, 2006, 06:14 AM
I think the change is finally happening. Shahriar Nafees came from the last U-19 batch and is a leftie. Of the present bunch, Saqib, Tamim and Mehrab are lefties.

As a southpaw myself, I am cautiously optimistic. Now we need to rediscover our tradition of lefty pacers - Prince, Biswas, Manju, etc.

Ahmed_B
February 8, 2006, 06:26 AM
The rise of lefties in cricket is quite anonymous... and it probably can't be gained by just training some left-handed cricketers. The current bunch of talented lefties probably happened to be a big co-insidence which obviously has been (Rafiq/Rana/Enamul) and is working (S. Nafees & the U-19 boys) for BD in great ways. However.. we are currently saturated in the SLA quota but still to come up with few more effective Left handed pacers/batsmen. This right-left variation surely enhances a team’s strength to some degree.

BanCricFan
February 8, 2006, 07:14 AM
SK Rassel a good prospect.

fwullah
February 8, 2006, 07:24 AM
In addition to all the things said above by others, I have to say that having so many SLA means nothing if we can't beat a quality test team with our SLAs. (We did beat Zimbabwe - but let that be not that last)

Tigers_eye
February 8, 2006, 09:03 AM
Only time will tell if these lefties can beat quality test teams. But one must give them time. They are not in the national squad yet. So be patient, optimistic and cheer these boys on.

Spitfire_x86
February 8, 2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by BanCricFan
SK Rassel a good prospect.
Rasel is too slow

Tigers_eye
February 8, 2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Rasel is too slow

So is Pathan. And both can swing.

Carte Blanche
February 9, 2006, 08:39 AM
Actually both Pathan and Zaheer used to bowl with lively pace even a couple of years ago. I was watching Imran and Manjrekar talk about it after the 1st ODI and they were both baffled about it.

sadi
February 9, 2006, 09:18 AM
what really surprises me is that they are still young... why would they lose so much pace so young?

Edited on, February 9, 2006, 2:18 PM GMT, by sadi.

aosaif
February 9, 2006, 11:29 AM
I just hope some of these 4 left-arm all-rounders can develop into good batsmen for our national team.

Shafin
February 9, 2006, 02:55 PM
razzak raz is a good batter

reinausagi
February 9, 2006, 05:48 PM
The emergence of this many southpaws in our cricket is a curious phenomena. On a personal note, I write with my left hand but hold the tennis racquet in my right. It wasn't until I was teens, that my mother shared the fact that when I was very young, I had broken my right arm in a fall and started holding crayons with my left hand...

Tintin
February 9, 2006, 06:10 PM
One reason could be that left arm spinner has the easiest job among all types of bowlers. SLA, Off spin and medium pace are the ones that take the least effort (in whatever order) and of these SLA is more effective than the other two because most of the batsmen are right handers.

Tintin [himself an incompetent former left arm spinner]

TheWatcher
February 9, 2006, 06:27 PM
An SLA may not be always a left hander, Nadif Chowdhury (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/56053.html) is a right hand bat and an SLA.

CricTiger
February 9, 2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Rasel is too slow

So is Pathan. And both can swing.

Rasel =Pathan or
Pathan=Rasel ...

Something is wrong here .