PDA

View Full Version : U 19 World Cup in Sri Lanka: Predictions for the Quarter Final lineup

abherath
February 9, 2006, 01:55 AM
This is a prediction based on an analysis of the results to date.

--------
The Quarter Final lineup is now corrected, as pointed out by Cats-eye. I have interchanged Sri Lanka and India. Therefore, my comments on QF outcomes too have been altered.

I apologize to all of you who have made posts based on my original post.

Thank you very much Cats-eye, for pointing out my mistake.
--------

Group stage - final standings

Group A:
1 - Bangladesh
2 - New Zealand or Pakistan (They are neck to neck !)
Bangladesh has already qualified. NZ and Pakistan are competing for the next slot; difficult to pick between the two at present and they will play each other in what happens to be the only remaining match for each of them.

Group B:
1 - Australia
2 - West Indies (South Africa needs to beat WI if they are to make it into the QFs.)
Australia has already qualified. WI and South Africa are competing for the second slot. They too will play each other in what happens to be the only remaining match for each of them.

Group C:
1 - India
2 - Sri Lanka
India and Sri Lanka have already qualified for the QFs. They have a clash between them left and that too happens to be the only remaining match for each team. India is, by far, the better team and they are expected to beat Sri Lanka comfortably.

Group D:
1 - Zimbabwe
2 - England.
The situation here is somewhat similar to that in Group C. While Zimbabwe and England have both already qualifed for the QFs, they too will clash with each other in what is the only remaining match for each team. Zimbabwe seems to be ahead of England, based on the results to date.

Quarter Final Lineup:

The quater finals have to be as follows, according to the tournament schedule:
A1 Vs. D2
C1 Vs. B2
B1 Vs. C2
D1 Vs. A2

According to the above predictions of final Group Standings, this converts to the following Quarter Final lineup:

Bangladesh Vs England
India Vs West Indies
Australia Vs Sri Lanka
Zimbabwe Vs New Zealand OR Pakistan

The teams indicated in bold faced letters have already qualified to play in the Quarter Finals.

As you can see, one cannot pick between New Zealand and Pakistan. So the remaining match between them is crucial. Also, West Indies, though they are predicted to qualify, have not qualifed yet; to do that, they need to beat South Africa.

Looking at the Quarter Finals themselves, I think Bangladesh is poised to beat England. They have done it so many times in the recent past that they have already lost count ! India will beat West Indies. Sri Lanka would lose to Australia. Zimbabwe seems to be able to beat either of the two teams predicted to play them though they cannot be complacent about it. However, it is too early to think too much of Quarter Final results, right now.

Edited on, February 10, 2006, 5:36 AM GMT, by abherath.

TheWatcher
February 9, 2006, 03:01 AM
I think England will pull it out against Zimbabwe, so we will face Zimbos for one more time. Also think WI will make the semi beating Lanka again. England-Pakistan? tough to predict.

aosaif
February 9, 2006, 03:03 AM
I'm not really sure who I want our team to face. Let come who will......we will stand our ground!!!!!

VERY nice analysis abherath. Makes it easy for ppl like me who haven't had the time to think about these things. That's whats so great about this forum!!! And thanks for your spectacular support for Bangladesh cricket.

PoorFan
February 9, 2006, 03:09 AM
How about this ...

Bangladesh Vs England --> winner Bangladesh
Sri Lanka Vs Australia --> winner Sri Lanka
West Indies Vs India --> West Indies
Zimbabwe Vs Pakistan --> Pakistan

And then

Bangladesh Vs Sri Lanka --> winner Bangladesh
West Indies Vs Pakistan --> winner West Indies

Finally

Bangladesh Vs West Indies --> Champion ( ..... )

islam
February 9, 2006, 05:04 AM
bangladesh v england
australia v sri lanka
india v west indies
zim v pakistan

bd v srilanka
india v zim

india v bd

India winners :sorry:

Mr-khan
February 9, 2006, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by PoorFan
How about this ...

Bangladesh Vs England --> winner Bd
Thats true.I hope that will not be a one sided game.

prasad
February 9, 2006, 07:05 AM
hope wi wins it for the sake of cricket.

Shehwar
February 9, 2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by islam
bangladesh v england
australia v sri lanka
india v west indies
zim v pakistan

bd v srilanka
india v zim

india v bd

India winners :sorry:

What is wrong with u man?..Unless u r an Indan or something!..

Tigers_eye
February 9, 2006, 09:05 AM
If
Originally posted by islam
australia v sri lanka

then it means SL lost to Ind.
and BD will definitely meet India in the Semis. On other way India can get to the finals without facing us.

sadi
February 9, 2006, 09:08 AM
I don't think zim can beat India... so either India has to go when they face WI in the QF or else we gonna see them in final and we will have to take care of them.... ;)

Tigers_eye
February 9, 2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by prasad
hope wi wins it for the sake of cricket.
if thats what you want then this is the task they face :)

beat SA: Duable.
beat Ind: Not duable.
beat Bangladesh: Not duable. (assuming Bd wins the Quarter-finals game)
beat SL or Australia in the finals.

Tall task I say for WI fans.

Tigers_eye
February 9, 2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by abherath
Group C:
1 - India
2 - Sri Lanka
India and Sri Lanka have already qualified for the QFs. They have a clash between them left and that too happens to be the only remaining match for each team. India is, by far, the better team and they are expected to beat Sri Lanka comfortably.

The quater finals have to be as follows, according to the tournament schedule:
A1 Vs. D2
C1 Vs. B2
B1 Vs. C2
D1 Vs. A2
Bangladesh Vs England
Sri Lanka Vs West Indies
Australia Vs India
Zimbabwe Vs New Zealand OR Pakistan
Good analysis Abhereth. Just a question, according to you if India is the top team and beats SL then aren't they the C1? that case they should swap places with SL. Just an observation.

sadi
February 9, 2006, 09:30 AM
well I am kinda confused... who do we face in the semis? Winner of Srilanka-Aus or Ind-WI?

Tigers_eye
February 9, 2006, 09:55 AM
It can't be Australia, they are B1. The winner of Ind-SL (C1), and winner of SA-WI (B2) face off in Quarter finals. Who ever wins that match meets the winner of BD and Eng/Zim.

babubangla
February 9, 2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by sadi
well I am kinda confused... who do we face in the semis? Winner of Srilanka-Aus or Ind-WI?

Quarter-Final Round

The ICC Quarter-Final Fixture is as follows:
QF-1: A1 v D2
QF-2: C1 v B2
QF-3: D1 v A2
QF-4: B1 v C2

Suppose the final Group standing is as follows:
Group-A:
Bangladesh (A1) and Pakistan (A2)
Group-B:
Australia (B1) and West Indies (B2)
Group-C:
India (C1) and Sri Lanka (C2)
Group-D:
England (D1) and Zimbabwe (D2)

Based on the above group standing, the Quarter-Final Line-up will be as follows:
QF-1: Bangladesh v Zimbabwe
QF-2: India v West Indies
QF-3: England v Pakistan
QF-4: Australia v Sri Lanka

Semi-Final Round

The ICC Semi-Final Fixture is as follows:
SF-1: QF-1 v QF-2
SF-2: QF-3 v QF-4

Suppose the Quarter-Final Results are as follows:
Quarter Final 1 (QF-1):
Bangladesh beats Zimbabwe
Quarter Final 2 (QF-2):
India beats West Indies
Quarter Final 3 (QF-3):
Pakistan beats England
Quarter Final 4 (QF-4):
Australia beats Sri Lanka

Based on the above Quarter Final results, the Semi-Final Line-up will be as follows:
SF-1: Bangladesh v India
SF-2: Pakistan v Australia

You might have a different prediction about the group standing and/or QF/SF results, but as long as you follow the ICC fixture, you will come up with a valid prospective line-up.

Warlock
February 9, 2006, 10:21 AM
Well, following babubangla's predictions for QF, I just hope WI will do us a favour by disposing off India. And wouldn't it be wonderful if SL also takes care of Australia! May be I am asking too much but if these two things happen our work will be much much easier. Then, we have to face the WI in the semis and hopefully we will get past them without much trouble (hey this BD team is truly on fire!) Then we have to produce some good performances to beat SL in the final in their homeground- but I believe we have a fair chance of doing that.
Then again, if my prayers are not answered and we have to face IND in the semis- well we would have to do what we would need to do, getting PAST them! If we meet the Aussies in the final (hopefully we are going to the final:)) - we can only hope our last encounter in the previous U-19 cup will repeat itself (although we don't have Enamul Jnr. this time- but I am sure our present spin quartet can take care of any situation:D).
So hope for the best?

Tigers_eye
February 9, 2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by babubangla
Suppose the Quarter-Final Results are as follows:

Quarter Final 4 (QF-4):
Australia beats Sri Lanka

Based on the above Quarter Final results, the Semi-Final Line-up will be as follows:
SF-1: Bangladesh v India
SF-2: Pakistan v Australia

You might have a different prediction about the group standing and/or QF/SF results, but as long as you follow the ICC fixture, you will come up with a valid prospective line-up.

SL beating Aus thus an all subcontinent semis :) that's my wish list.

sadi
February 9, 2006, 10:51 AM
thanks babubangla and cats_eye... that answers it all

ekatturerBangalee
February 9, 2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by PoorFan
How about this ...

Bangladesh Vs England --> winner Bangladesh
Sri Lanka Vs Australia --> winner Sri Lanka
West Indies Vs India --> West Indies
Zimbabwe Vs Pakistan --> Pakistan

And then

Bangladesh Vs Sri Lanka --> winner Bangladesh
West Indies Vs Pakistan --> winner West Indies

Finally

Bangladesh Vs West Indies --> Champion ( ..... )

Yesssssss
We can do it.
Bangladesh Champion
:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Rubu
February 9, 2006, 12:56 PM
I think we'll make it to the semis. And then, the biggest challenge will come: india. if we can beat them, we are the champions. So, either we become 1st or 3rd.

babubangla
February 9, 2006, 01:07 PM
Or even the most heart-breaking may happen.
If we face Zimbabwe in quarterfinal and they may just take care of us. Considering the inconsistency in our top order, this is very much possible. Remember the warm-up match? Zimbabwe just fell short of 3 runs. So, even Zimbabwe can be the end of road for us.

We all talk about facing India, Australia etc. Out of nowhere, minnow Zimbabwe can do the damage. With 4 test players and some more with ODI experience, Zimbabwe is one of the strong teams in the competition.

Shafin
February 9, 2006, 01:24 PM
jei amader shathe kheluk na keno,amrai champion hobo,inshaallah :fanflag:

Shafin
February 9, 2006, 02:50 PM
cricinfo predictions
Under-19 World Cup Group matches 6th round

Four big names battle for two places

February 10, 2006

Points table

The final round of qualifying matches at the Under-19 World Cup has thrown up two fascinating ties. West Indies take on South Africa and Pakistan play New Zealand as the four teams try to keep themselves in the top half of the tournament. For the winners there is a place in the Super League, for the losers it is the Plate Championship.

Group A
Pakistan v New Zealand
The two sides that don't make the Super League will be notable omissions, especially if one of them is Pakistan. The defending champions from 2004 crushed Uganda, but came unstuck against a talented Bangladesh side while showing signs of overconfidence. Having talent is only half the battle, being able to adapt to differing match situations is the next step for these players. New Zealand's batting has been far from convincing, either, with Tod Astle the form player after making 44 and 67 in the previous two matches. Even against Uganda the first three wickets fell for 94, before Astle and Kieran Noema-Barnett (67 not out) took control. Pakistan's pace bowlers, especially Jamshed Ahmed and Anwar Ali, are sharp enough to cause problems to a shaky top order, making then the favourites to progress - and keep their title defence alive. England or Zimbabwe is the next task for the winners

Group B
West Indies v South Africa
Both teams lost to Australia, but West Indies ran them close in a thriller - falling 13 runs short of their target. With South Africa having been humbled by 175 runs, on the opening day of qualifying, West Indies will fancy their chances of making the Super League. Struggling against the Australians is one thing, but South Africa's top order wobbled against the USA - stuttering to 101 for 5 - before Dean Elgar and Craig Kieswetter turned the innings around with a stand of 153. They won't be able to afford such a slip-up here. West Indies have shown decent form with the bat, especially William Perkins who currently has the highest score in the tournament - 133 against the USA. Awaiting the winners of this match is a clash against either India or Sri Lanka.

Group C
India v Sri Lanka
Although both teams are already through to the next stage, this match is about more than local rivalry. Whoever wins will face the winners of South Africa or West Indies, but the losers have the less appealing prospect of a quarter-final against Australia.

Group D
England v Zimbabwe
A match which Sean Williams, Zimbabwe's captain, said was the one his side really wanted to win, and on form so far, they have a good chance. Although both have qualified for the last eight, England scraped past Nepal on Wednesday and their form coming into this tournament was dire. Zimbabwe have put domestic problems behind them and look well worth their place in the Super League. The winners play either New Zealand or holders Pakistan, while the losers face Bangladesh, one of the form teams.

© Cricinfo

Rubu
February 9, 2006, 04:31 PM
No chance for Zim. They are no good against spins. Our four prong lefties will show them red-green-blue stars around their head.

abherath
February 10, 2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by aosaif
I'm not really sure who I want our team to face. Let come who will......we will stand our ground!!!!!

VERY nice analysis abherath. Makes it easy for ppl like me who haven't had the time to think about these things. That's whats so great about this forum!!! And thanks for your spectacular support for Bangladesh cricket.

You are very welcome.

Naturally, I would support Sri Lanka, my country. However, being realistic, I think the battle is among Bangladesh, Australia and India. Australia has really raised their game and are doing far better than I thought they would. I have been maintaining that Bangladesh would win the World Cup this time. At this stage, it looks like Australia would be a hurdle Bangladesh will have to cross on their way to the trophy. India too seems to be very good at this stage. Among Bangladesh, India and Australia, I would want Bangladesh to win.

Most importantly, Bangladesh is winning consistently and their beating New Zealand and Pakistan to qualify for the QFs is creditable.

As for Sri Lanka, it is interesting to note that they too beat Pakistan in a practice match. Unfortunately, the Sri Lanka team chosen is not the best talent available in our country. This problem was there with the recent Under 17 team too, which lost to Bangladesh in Malaysia, but fought back to win the final. That team was made up of not the best batsmen and bowlers with one or two all-rounders; it was rather a collection of all-rounders - jacks of all trades and masters of none ! :) Sri Lankan selectors at all levels need to get their act together, even at the senior level. The Sri Lankan team battling Australia right now at Adelaide in the VB finals misses some really good players who should have been chosen.

imran78
February 10, 2006, 12:16 AM
NZ in big trouble against Pakistan. 34/6 after 12 overs. seems like pakistan will go through to the quarterfinals easily.

cricket_pagol
February 10, 2006, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by imran78
NZ in big trouble against Pakistan. 34/6 after 12 overs. seems like pakistan will go through to the quarterfinals easily.

I was supporting NZ in this game... Don't want BD to face Pakistan anymore in this tournament.

abherath
February 10, 2006, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Good analysis Abhereth. Just a question, according to you if India is the top team and beats SL then aren't they the C1? that case they should swap places with SL. Just an observation.

Thank you very much for pointing out my mistake. I have corrected it now.

Sauron
February 10, 2006, 12:51 AM
I think I have earned a little bragging right :)

I predicted in another thread:

My gut feel is that this U-19 team will win all the way to the trophy. They always play to win. Pakistan team is in for a shock.

So far I'm at a fair distance from a humble pie!

For those who think I am full of BS (;)) -
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=15773#pid259964

bd_cricket
February 10, 2006, 03:23 AM
NZ is out and will play in plate. Pak just needed 9 overs to reach the target.

Ind is in better shape. They booked SL for 207/10.

WI has booked SAf for 213/8

Probably BD is facing Eng in QF. Eng is all out for 172 against Zim.

Edited on, February 10, 2006, 8:24 AM GMT, by bd_cricket.

BanCricFan
February 10, 2006, 04:40 AM
Possible semi-final line ups:

Bangladesh V Srilanka
Pakistan V India

ekatturerBangalee
February 10, 2006, 06:57 AM
SL beat England.
England 172 all out
SL 175 for 8

BD playing with England tomorrow

abherath
February 10, 2006, 08:59 AM
So the prediction (after the correction by Cats-eye) came right. The Quarter Final lineup is:

Saturday, 11
Super League quarter-final 1 (Bangladesh v England) R Premadasa Stadium, Khettarama, Colombo
Super League quarter-final 2 (India v West Indies) Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, Colombo
Super League quarter-final 3 (Zimbabwe v Pakistan) Nondescripts Cricket Club Ground, Colombo
Super League quarter-final 4 (Australia v Sri Lanka) P Saravanamuttu Stadium, Colombo
source:cricinfo

The prediction was for New Zealand or Pakistan to play Zimbabwe. Pakistan made it.

Edited on, February 10, 2006, 2:14 PM GMT, by abherath.

sadi
February 10, 2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by BanCricFan
Possible semi-final line ups:

Bangladesh V Srilanka
Pakistan V India

It should be

Bangladesh V India
Pakistan V Srilanka

Wouldn't it be fun to watch if all four teams can go the semis?

Tigers_eye
February 10, 2006, 09:23 AM
You are welcome! Abherath.

wouldn't it be great an all subcontinent team semi-finals?
Can't wait any longer. Don't want to overlook England but the challege of facing India intrigues me. That's the measuring stick.

After Semis any team can be in the finals. All four team has the capability. Pakistan is getting confident as time is passing. SL home court. India best team. BD trying to prove something to the world.

SS
February 10, 2006, 09:26 AM
Nice we will be gone then if playing agnsst Ind, first of all we gota get through quarter final!!

Tigers_eye
February 10, 2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by SS
Nice we will be gone then if playing agnsst Ind, first of all we gota get through quarter final!!

Correction. There is a 3rd-4th match also. fifth-sixth-seventh-eight matches as well. No one is leaving till the end. :)

Shafin
February 10, 2006, 09:47 AM
India best team
no,bd is the best team,IMO
they lost no match yet in SL while india lost to england
:fanflag::fanflag::fanflag::fanflag::fanflag: