View Full Version : Chamara Kapugedera

Shafin
February 10, 2006, 10:09 AM
A Under 19 in srilankan main team!
did you notice Chamara Kapugedera in todays VB series match
he made 36 in 21 balls
But the fact is he is only 18.

from cricinfo
Chamara Kapugedera is one of the few exciting batsmen the selectors have unearthed from the Sri Lanka Under-19 side, the other being the left-hander Upul Tharanga. Kapugedera, 18, is a forceful right-hander who has yet to be tried and tested at the highest level, but there is no denying his talent. From the age of 11 when he first turned out for Dharmaraja College in Kandy Kapugedera has hardly wasted an opportunity to push himself up the ladder. He has captained all the junior school sides from Under-13 till the first eleven. Following a prolific 2003-04 season where he scored over 1000 runs, he was picked for Sri Lanka U19 on their tour to Pakistan the following year. He excelled with a stunning knock of 135 in a one-day international against the world champions. It is an innings he still rates as his best although he batted equally well for 70 in his first game for Sri Lanka A against the strong New Zealand A team this year.

The selectors, who have been keeping a close watch on him, chose the bold path by throwing him straight into the squad with the seniors after they found that none of the Sri Lanka A batsmen had lived up to their potential in the succession of matches played during 2005. For Kapugedera it was a dream come true to be practicing and training alongside some of his boyhood heroes like Kumar Sangakkara (who also hails from Kandy), Mahela Jayawardene, Marvan Atapattu and Sanath Jayasuriya.

"Although my childhood ambition was to represent the country some day I never thought it would come so fast," said Kapugedera. "I am happy with the recognition and I hope to make the maximum use of it."

Kapugedera owes a great deal to his father, also a former Dharmaraja cricketer for teaching him to hold a bat and then proceeding to give him all the encouragement he needed to get this far. His first coach David Karunaratne and U19 coach Sumithra Warnakulasuriya have also played important roles in shaping Kapugedera's career.
Saadi Thawfeeq (November 2005)
So my question is,why srilanka is playing him in the main team instead of U-19 WC team?
Was he selected for the U-19 WC team?

Is their any other under 19 players currently selected i their main teams?

sadi
February 10, 2006, 10:31 AM
wow... he must be real good... I mean to play him in Australia instead of sending him to under-19 world cup shows the amount of faith the selector have on him.... his quick innings in the final definately prove that selectors made the right move