PDA

View Full Version : U-19 WC not over for us yet. 1 more match and possibly one more.

cricman
February 11, 2006, 03:14 PM
Wednesday, 15
Super League play-off semi-final 1 - Bangladesh v West Indies

Saturday, 18
Super League play-off Final: winners play-off SF1 v play-off SF2

ICC Schedule (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/events/u19worldcup/fixtures.html)

Edited on, February 11, 2006, 8:15 PM GMT, by cricman.

Umar
February 11, 2006, 03:38 PM
but is it possible to play the Final and Win the cup again?? I dont think so.....:(

I am really Upset...by our performence ! Well...now all we can hope and hope to see winning against west-indies !!:(

mahrookh
February 11, 2006, 04:11 PM
haha you can't beat England and you are dreaming to win against West Indies . Hairey bangali shara jibon shopno deikhai morlo :) dekhen dekhen aro shopno dekhen .

reza_15
February 11, 2006, 04:48 PM
i just read prothom- alo and it appears to me that we don't have the chance to win the world cup. they are saying that the best we could do is 2 be in the 5th place .

source (http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=1&Date=2006-02-12&filename=12h6)

Edited on, February 12, 2006, 2:16 AM GMT, by Zunaid.
Reason: mod.misc edited link

reza_15
February 11, 2006, 04:50 PM
too frustrating :/ :/ :/

Tehsin
February 11, 2006, 05:33 PM
Ummm, I don't know where you got the idea that we have a shot at the championship. We lost in the quarter finals. WE ARE OUT. The rest of the matches are just formalities, these matches are place deciders and apart from giving the boys little more pratice, they don't hold any value in the tournament.

cricman
February 11, 2006, 05:37 PM
wow i didn't say that we can still go to the championship, i just wanted show that there still is consolation prize.

Tehsin
February 11, 2006, 05:42 PM
cricman .. sorry bro. It wasn't meant for you. I know what you meant. It was for Umar.

CricTiger
February 11, 2006, 06:06 PM
We will have to compete for 5th,6th,7th or 8th position if I AM not mistaken.

Will we be able to capture 5th position now ?

BagherBacha
February 11, 2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by reza_15
i just read prothom- alo and it appears to me that we don't have the chance to win the world cup. they are saying that the best we could do is 2 be in the 5th place .

source (http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=1&Date=2006-02-12&filename=12h6)

LOL

Edited on, February 12, 2006, 2:17 AM GMT, by Zunaid.
Reason: mod.misc edited link

rafiq
February 12, 2006, 01:16 PM
Though these extra playoff matches for 5-8 appear to be a boondoggle, I do want to see how BD do against WI. I hope they bounce back from the England loss and play to their potential.

You also have to review wicket conditions at the PSS in the morning of the England game when we were asked to bat. I heard there was a lot of moisture, the ball was moving, etc. Not to make excuses, we should have spanked the English but we didn't. England could barely win their 2 group matches against non-test teams, and should have lost to Nepal. In any tournament there is always one team who doesn't belong in the top 4, a team whose credibility must be questioned. In this tournament it's England's turn - they really have no business being in the Semis. Does anyone really think England are a better team than Bangladesh because they won one game in the last dozen attempts? Just goes to show how unpredictable tournaments can be, and that the only match that counts is the last one.

Based on how the ICC did seedings for this world cup, it seems that finishing 5-8 ensures us a second seed for the 2008 tournament. So we may get lucky, as England/Zimbabwe and India/Sri Lanka team did this time, by having 2 non-test teams in our group in the next World Cup. That is, if the ICC keeps the same format. So our modest success here will hopefully help us in the future as well. You can't complain about that.

mshakir56
February 12, 2006, 01:26 PM
This devastating defeat against England reminds me of our defeat against Canada in the last world cup. Anyway, to prove our dominance in Junior Cricket, we should win this playoff final with noticeable mergin. This will give a clear message to the rest of the world and respectively us fans, that the quarter final day was just a unlucky day for us thats all, its not a every day thing.

Warlock
February 12, 2006, 05:46 PM
Everyone can have a bad day in the field. We should not forget the BD team was winning every match for the last two months. It didn't look like a fluke.
In the super league of the world cups, be it U-19 or the real one, it's a knock-out game. You play bad one day and you're out, just like that. It even happens to the most strong sides.
I am not saying we will forget this whole thing about loosing to the English side, I am just trying to say- we fans should be a little more patient. After all, the younger side are showing all the signs of a true winning team. So why don't we give them another chance. See how they perform in the next match.

sadi
February 12, 2006, 08:53 PM
definately we should give them a chance and they can have a bad day but what worries me is the fact that our top order never clicked. Noone is getting runs except Musfiq and I hope they do well against WI.