PDA

View Full Version : Sri Lanka announce squad to tour Bangladesh

reverse_swing
February 15, 2006, 12:30 PM
Dammika Prasad, the 22-year-old fast bowler, is the only newcomer to the Sri Lanka Test and one-day teams picked for the tour of Bangladesh starting later this week.

Prasad, a right-arm fast bowler has played in only 22 first-class matches since his debut in 2001-02 but within that period has captured 80 wickets at the impressive cost of 22.85 runs apiece.

He is the only new face in two squads of 15 players picked separately for the series of three one-day internationals and two Tests in Bangladesh.

more >> (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshsl/content/story/237282.html)

cricketboy
February 15, 2006, 12:36 PM
Russel Arnold is dropped despite being in good form. Thats good for Bangladesh. But still both squads are very strong.

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 5:56 AM GMT, by cricketboy.

sadi
February 15, 2006, 12:37 PM
They open the tour with a day-nighter on Monday at Bogra followed by matches at Dhaka on February 22 and Chittagong on February 23. The Tests will take place at Chittagong from February 28

So the date has been changed huh? Also it says the second match will be in dhaka. Whats going on??

Tigers_eye
February 15, 2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by sadi
Whats going on??
As if you don't know? hahaha!!

Same old mis-communication.

Sauron
February 15, 2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by sadi

They open the tour with a day-nighter on Monday at Bogra followed by matches at Dhaka on February 22 and Chittagong on February 23. The Tests will take place at Chittagong from February 28

So the date has been changed huh? Also it says the second match will be in dhaka. Whats going on??

এই প্রথম শুনলাম যে ঢাকা তে খেলা হবে। আমার ধারনা ক্রিক্‌ইনফো ভুল লিখেছে। ওদের নিজেদের ফিক্সচার লিস্টেই তো অন্য সুচী। এছাড়া ঢাকায় বেশ মিছিল মিটিং হয়েছে খেলা না হওয়ার প্রতিবাদে।

১৯ আর ২০ তারিখে বগুড়ায় আর ২৪ তারিখে চট্টগ্রামে ও ডি আই।

আমি কাজে বলে রেখেছি যে ২০ তারিখে ছুটি নিচ্ছি। এখন যদি হালার পো হালারা সুচী পরিবর্তন করে, প্রচন্ড মেজাজ খারাপ হবে।

abherath
February 15, 2006, 11:38 PM
The Cricinfo article tends to give the impression that there is not much of a change in the Sri Lankan squads. These are new look teams, not ones with just one change.

ODI Squad:
Dhammika Prasad is making his debut. Akalanka Ganegama made his ODI debut in Australia in the VB series but he played in just one match. Hasantha Fernando too is a newcomer in the ODI squad, except for one or two games in the past, at most. Mubarak and Kapugedara too are relatively new. Mubarak has been a disappintment on the Australian tour while Kapugedara has shown great potential. He batted on four occasions getting out cheaply in two and hammering away two cameos in the others. Upul Tharanga and Maharoof are slowly becoming seniors, with older players on their way out.

Ruchira Perera, though not a regular, is establishing himself in the one-day game.

Most importantly, regular skipper Ahapuattu, his deputy and premier pacie Vaas, the prize bowler Murali and in-form Arnold are not in this squad. Arnold should have his horoscope checked ! :)

So this is a new look team with emphasis on the future, albeit a strong one.

Test squad:
Here too Prasad is making hs debut, whereas Sajeewa Weerakoon is relatively new with a few games here and there, one or two at the most. Van Dort too is quite new, along with Kapugedara. Wonder how the latter will fit into tests, as he seems to be a pinch hitter. Here too Upul Tharanga and Maharoof are slowly becoming seniors, with older players on their way out. Prasanna Jayawardane has played on a few occasions in the past. He is the best wicket keepers in Sri Lanka. When he plays, Sangakkara will field in the slips.

This squad will not have Atapattu, Vaas, Sanath Jayasuriya and poor Arnold. Ruchira Perera too is out.

So once again a new look team.

If Sri Lanka loses, we can't give excuses for not having seniors in the team, as we are an established test playing nation. However, the emphasis of these two teams are on youngsters, with a view to the future.

Bangladesh with their young talent plus Ash, Pilot and Bashar have their best chance now to beat Sri Lanka for the first time, especially as they will be playing in their own backyard with the tremendous support of ther fans.

The tour is bound to be very interesting. I am looking forward to that.

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 4:39 AM GMT, by abherath.

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 4:42 AM GMT, by abherath.

Dhakablues
February 16, 2006, 12:42 AM
Bangladesh with Shahrier Nafees, Aftab , Manzar, Shahadat, Syed Rasel, etc. is pretty much a U23 team,, so Srilanka without Murli, Vaas is pretty much on level field with this team. I wont go far to say, this is an easy match for us. But for the 2nd time ( India did that once,, and got the spanking) we have an opportunity to take advantage, exploit to be precise, of the complacency. We should teach Srilankans a lesson to not take BD team lightly.

I agree, this tour would be very interesting. The players are in match practice,,, its home ground,,,Shahrier/Raj/Javed are in form. My only worry is the Daylight matches. Was it to give our cricketers an excuse?

abherath
February 16, 2006, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Dhakablues
........But for the 2nd time ( India did that once,, and got the spanking) we have an opportunity to take advantage, exploit to be precise, of the complacency. We should teach Srilankans a lesson to not take BD team lightly.....

Let me make my humble point on this. This is not complacency on the part of Sri Lanka.

No 1. Sri Lankans have been playing at a stretch since July last year, against West Indies and Bangladesh in Sri Lanka, against India and Pakistan (triangular) in Sri Lanka, then in India, followed by New Zealand and then in Australia agaist the mighty South Africans and the Australians. So some players need to be rested. The team arrived this morning in Colombo after a gruelling flight from Australia and will be leaving for Bogra tonight ! Just imagine how tired the players would be. Also, Murali had not seen his new born son until today ! He needs time with his family.

No 2. Sri Lanka cannot go on with the same set of players as some of them are ageing and will leave the scene soon. So youngesters have to come in.

No 3. Sri Lanka is a test playing nation and we should not have to depend on just 15 elite players. We cannot give excuses for losing either, if we do not play some of the so called top-15-players.

No 4. Except for Australia, no other team will take Bangladesh lightly, especially in their own backyard.

Finally, I would say that Bangladesh has played Sri Lanka so many times, that they really need to win against us soon. Both the ability of the Bangladeshi players and probability deem that. Losing to Bangladesh, in my book, is not humiliation to Sri Lanka. Winning and losing is part of the game, especially when you play good teams, which Bangladesh is one.

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 6:52 AM GMT, by abherath.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 5:18 AM GMT, by abherath.

Dhakablues
February 16, 2006, 01:59 AM
Welcome Back Abherath..The part that I dont get is,, did we ever hear that a team rested key players in order to let them get enough rest to play against Bangladesh? Unless the team is Kenya or Ireland..I doubt that.

The part that really strikes me is, Srilanka is the only country that Bangladesh never could put up any respectable show. Ashraful aside ( which nowadays, I tend to think was a fluke) none of the players have ever shown anything that makes any Bangladesh proud when it comes to SriLanka series....

abherath
February 16, 2006, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Dhakablues
Welcome Back Abherath..The part that I dont get is,, did we ever hear that a team rested key players in order to let them get enough rest to play against Bangladesh? Unless the team is Kenya or Ireland..I doubt that.

The part that really strikes me is, Srilanka is the only country that Bangladesh never could put up any respectable show. Ashraful aside ( which nowadays, I tend to think was a fluke) none of the players have ever shown anything that makes any Bangladesh proud when it comes to SriLanka series....

Thanks mate.

Well, Atapattu's absence will not be felt very much as Mahela has captained successfully on several occasions and Sri Lanka has batting depth, especially on sub-continental wickets. Also Atapatu needs to recover fully from a back injury, I feel. Vaas and Murali too will need to take breaks to refresh as they have not been as effective as expected.

The fact that Bangladesh could never put up a good show against Sri Lanka could very well be psychological. I believe Bangladesh has got the players to make Sri Lanka work really hard. So it is good that Bangladesh is using the expertise of a psychologist. Also, Bangladesh will have to be aggressive in matches. For this you need a mentally strong captain, which I think Bashar is not. Is it right to say Pilot would have been better in that respect ? Arjuna Ranatunga's aggression, more than anything else, took Sri Lanka to the World Cup in 1996, based on a foundation of a century (in terms of Years) of hard work.

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 8:22 AM GMT, by abherath.

BanglaCool
February 16, 2006, 05:03 AM
So the date has been changed huh? Also it says the second match will be in dhaka. Whats going on?? [/quote]

এই প্রথম শুনলাম যে ঢাকা তে খেলা হবে। আমার ধারনা ক্রিক্‌ইনফো ভুল লিখেছে। ওদের নিজেদের ফিক্সচার লিস্টেই তো অন্য সুচী। এছাড়া ঢাকায় বেশ মিছিল মিটিং হয়েছে খেলা না হওয়ার প্রতিবাদে।

আমি কাজে বলে রেখেছি যে ২০ তারিখে ছুটি নিচ্ছি। এখন যদি হালার পো হালারা সুচী পরিবর্তন করে, প্রচন্ড মেজাজ খারাপ হবে।
[/quote]
how do you write bangla ? Do you use a software or just a different keyboard layout or something?

samircreep
February 16, 2006, 07:05 AM
I think the fact that russel wasnt selected was due to off the field reasons. Remember that previously he was also offered a really low paying contract as well.

Poor guy, I wonder what the board has against him.

Ak
February 16, 2006, 07:40 AM
Why is Jehan Mubarak still in the squad:info::info::info: Definately Arnold is a better player as he showed in the last two finals in the VB Series! Plus there's this guy called Kaushal Lokuarachchi who's a leggy - a good prospect:lol:

Sauron
February 16, 2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by BanglaCool

[/quote]
how do you write bangla ? Do you use a software or just a different keyboard layout or something? [/quote]

এখনো যদি অন্য কেউ সাহায্য করে না থাকে, তাহলে শুনুন -

বাংলা পড়ার জন্য এই সুতায় দেখুন -

http://www.banglacricket.com/tools/bangla/index.php

আর লেখার জন্য আমি অভ্র ব্যাবহার করি (ফোনেটিক টাইপিং)। অভ্র'র সবচেয়ে নতুন ভার্সন ব্যাবহার করবেন। সেইটার জন্য এইখানে দেখুন -

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=15902

আর অর্নব, নাফিস, রিভার্স সুইং এরা হচ্ছে বাংলা লেখা'র বস্‌ মানুষ। কোন প্রশ্ন থাকলে এদের কোন একজন্‌কে জিজ্ঞাসা করলেই খুব ভাল হেল্প পাবেন।

cover_point
February 16, 2006, 02:17 PM
Arnold was dropped to make way for Mubarak. Mubarak's Father is said to be having political connections so a poor lad like Arnold has to see the rich bugger play first.

Herath whats your opinion on this.

Tigers_eye
February 16, 2006, 02:39 PM
Abherath,
You are so right about the psychological factor. Bd team can atmost string 3 good sessions together, but fail to continue to build on that. I think this is the second year our domestic cricket saw 4 day games. They will learn how to play the longer version of the game pretty soon if they continue to work hard.

sadi
February 16, 2006, 02:48 PM
connection helps no matter where you live...... Poor Arnold... good for us though.... Its time for another upset.... Go Tigers, get the lions

Matches Malone
February 16, 2006, 04:00 PM
Sri lankan selectors are really moronic. No Arnold?He along wth Mahela and Jaysuriya were the only ones who got scores in the VB series

mahrookh
February 16, 2006, 04:24 PM
Van Dort is awaesome who's nickname is "Dot Ball" . Anyway that's the name he got when he played in a match against Australia .

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 10:26 PM GMT, by mahrookh.

esteban_loaiza
February 16, 2006, 05:00 PM
The Sri Lankan Team is much stronger even without those guys. Only the fact is the difference is much narrower. But what Bangladeshi team is doing to make that difference even narrower (or wider??) will be the most important. I think the preparation is not great because allthough all the players were playing crickets they were not playing it together as team. This might be as fatal as other sports like football, but I think it is going to be a factor specially in fielding which we did horribly in last tour. Are they doing any catching or ground fielding practice?

abherath
February 17, 2006, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Ak
Why is Jehan Mubarak still in the squad:info::info::info: Definately Arnold is a better player as he showed in the last two finals in the VB Series! Plus there's this guy called Kaushal Lokuarachchi who's a leggy - a good prospect:lol:

Yes, Arnold is very unfortunate to miss out. He played well against the Aussies. Looks like the selectors want to build up Mubarak for the future, though in that case, there are many other young players who could be given a chance.

abherath
February 17, 2006, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by cover_point
Arnold was dropped to make way for Mubarak. Mubarak's Father is said to be having political connections so a poor lad like Arnold has to see the rich bugger play first.

Herath whats your opinion on this.

There is a general belief in Sri Lanka that Mubarak is in there due to high connections. I don't know if it is correct. He captained Royal, a premier and sophisticated public school at cricket and I think he was named 'Schoolboy Cricketer of the Year', in his final year of school cricket. Though he was talented, he was heavily overrated even as a schoolboy. So many other better youngsters have been overlooked in Mubarak's favour. (Similar policies have been adopted in the selection of the present SL U19 team too, which is why they are not able to make their presence felt.)

What I do know is that Mubarak cost us a few matches in Australia where he gave away so many dot balls. He lacked imagination in his batting and did not know how to force the pace. He also has the knack of hitting fours and sixes after a match is obviously lost. So he must be a dream come true for the captain of the opposing side (Bashar in your case :) )

Russel Arnold was dropped for poor form and spent almost 2 years in the wilderness, when he was even made the captain of the 'A' side ! Since of late, he has been in and out of the Sri Lanka team, unable to make use of opportunities given to him. However, in Australia he worked had at cementing his place, while making a good contribution towards the side. Ironically, after a sterling knock of 70+ against the powerful Aussies at the Gabba, he is dropped !

Arnold's greatest achievement was to the lead the Sri Lanka A team to a 5-0 whitewash against the Kenyan National side in an ODI series in Kenya. You may remember that the Sri Lankan national team lost to Kenya in the 2003 World Cup, in a shocker. Arnold's Sri Lanka A team went to Kenya a few months after that and on arrival at Nairobi, Arnold vowed to beat the Kenyan National team 5-0 to 'off set' the defeat of the Sri Lankan national team. He actually matched his words with action. That showed a lot of character.

Sadly, Arnold's loss is Mubarak's gain. Arnold is getting old and there will not be enough time for him to cement his place before he retires !

P.S. I hope Mubarak would do well for Sri Lanka in Bangladesh, as he is already selected.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 6:17 AM GMT, by abherath.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 6:19 AM GMT, by abherath.

abherath
February 17, 2006, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Abherath,
You are so right about the psychological factor. Bd team can atmost string 3 good sessions together, but fail to continue to build on that. I think this is the second year our domestic cricket saw 4 day games. They will learn how to play the longer version of the game pretty soon if they continue to work hard.

If you mange the pshychological factor, you will start winning regularly.

Bangladesh had Sri Lanka on the ropes at 4 wickets down for a very few runs on the last tour of Sri Lanka. Using the psychological advantage they had, Sri Lanka bounced back to win convincingly.

When Sri lankans started losing in India recently, they were falling apart. However the team management used a psychologist to build the morale of the team at the begining of the VB series. Though they lost the finals to Australia 1-2, Sri Lankans gave a good account of themselves in the tournament. They also progressed from the 7th slot to the 6th in the ICC ODI rankings.

Bangladesh has all the talent, which needs to be supported by psychological preparation. Looks like the team management is addressing this right now.

Wish the Tigers the best of luck.

hkooraham
February 17, 2006, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by mahrookh
Van Dort is awaesome who's nickname is "Dot Ball" . Anyway that's the name he got when he played in a match against Australia .

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 10:26 PM GMT, by mahrookh.

What is this man about Australia and Ponting and Tintin all the time ? Did a Ponting six land on your head ? :)

AsifTheManRahman
February 17, 2006, 11:06 AM
nice...odi on the 23rd in dhaka, and then fly off to chittagong the same day to play another one the day after. cricinforo buddhi :P