PDA

View Full Version : Dhaka Protests

fy288
February 16, 2006, 07:33 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/sri_lanka/4719548.stm

BBC SPORT:

Hundreds of Bangladeshi cricket fans have protested that no matches in the forthcoming series against Sri Lanka will be held in the capital Dhaka.
The protestors formed a human chain round the Bangabandhu National Stadium, which will not be used as it is now a football ground.

Former skipper Naimur Rahman said: "Dhaka had been the Mecca of cricket in the country for more than 50 years.

"But the authorities intentionally left it unready ahead of the series."

Gazi Golam Dastagir, a senior official of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), was another leading Bangladeshi cricket figure to join the protest.

Sri Lanka will play three one-dayers and two Tests on their tour of Bangladesh, with games being held in the northern city of Bogra and Chittagong in the south east of the country.

The BCB chose Bogra and Chittagong after the International Cricket Council refused to approve the two cricket stadiums in Dhaka proposed as alternatives to the Bangabandhu National Stadium.

"It's unthinkable that Dhaka has not been awarded any match of the series," said one protester.

Tigers_eye
February 16, 2006, 09:00 AM
As long as they are destroying any property and protesting peacefully I have no problem. They moment they use force it becomes a criminal act.

I think at least the Bogra and Chittagong fans are against this protest.

Those fans who are protesting, I am certain they wouldn't be at the stadium at Mirpur or Fatullah.

I as an ex-pat, not playing in Dacca (Mecca of Cricket - Naimur Rahman) is excellent. Hartals can't interrupt the match precedings.

sadi
February 16, 2006, 09:11 AM
well Dhaka always host international games... so let other vanues host some games... if someone really wanna see the games, they can travel... after all, its only three and half hours drive from Dhaka...

AsifTheManRahman
February 16, 2006, 09:12 AM
But the authorities intentionally left it unready ahead of the series.

what the heck? such a stupid comment! ei former captaingular ki r kono kaam nai?

oracle
February 16, 2006, 09:30 AM
Once Mrpur is online, we will see less of these protests. Of course there is the die hard "BNS for cricket only" fans that need to smell the coffee one day.

Fortuner
February 16, 2006, 09:54 AM
Dhaka is not so kool place as compared to CTG or Bogra to play cricket. Jst look at the surrounding of BNS. Its gud we aitn playing ny more cricket there.

Decent enviorment is gud for cricket. Better.

Fatullah and Mripur are better...

AsifTheManRahman
February 16, 2006, 09:57 AM
btw, where will they be dwelling in Bogra? does the city have quality five stars?

sunny747
February 16, 2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
btw, where will they be dwelling in Bogra? does the city have quality five stars?

I heard they have got 3 star hotel over there in bogra.......it's bunglow type.......obviously bogra has scenic beauty.....may attrack lots of tourist.........moreover Dhaka and ctg is common to ppl abroad.......now they will get to know more of our city which is good......

Sauron
February 16, 2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman

They were showing the hotel and the Stadium on TV the other day. The hotel is a 4-star and it looks really nice.

And the stadium looks better than BNS and Mirpur. Specially under floodlights, it looked like an English or Australian ground.

sufism
February 16, 2006, 03:48 PM
awesome, brother Sauron can you plz show us some pictures of the Stadium. the way you praised the ground, i can't wait to see it. thank you.

mahrookh
February 16, 2006, 03:56 PM
If the Bangabandhu Stadium is hosting any cricket match then where's the pitch ? They have to bring a drop in pitch . Whoever is protesting do they have any idea how much money it costs to bring one drop in pitch immediately ? Kaajnar cheye baajna beshi hoiya jabey tokhon :)

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 9:13 PM GMT, by mahrookh.

rudro
February 16, 2006, 04:08 PM
সব রাজনীতির খেলা! ববি, নাইমুর - এরা এসব করছে যাতে ভবিষ্যত সরকার তাদের জন্য একটা জায়গা রাখে বিসিবিতে।

esteban_loaiza
February 16, 2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by rudro

সব রাজনীতির খেলা! ববি, নাইমুর - এরা এসব করছে যাতে ভবিষ্যত সরকার তাদের জন্য একটা জায়গা রাখে বিসিবিতে।

Is he planning to run in election or something else?

Kana-Baba
February 16, 2006, 05:52 PM
Few observations about the issue –

Number: 1
=======

Pros:-

BCB wants to spread cricket in the whole country. GOOD.

Cons:

Why need to deprive Dhaka? Dhaka deserves at least a match or two.

Number: 2
=======

Pros:

Bogra inhabitants will watch good cricket. It will certainly encourage them get involved with cricket.

Cons:

Why cricket at Bogra? Why not in Mymensingh or other city more closely related to cricket?

Mymensingh is well know for producing quality players and have one of the most competitive cricket leagues of the country. It also has large sports loving population pool. In my opinion, building a class stadium in Mymensingh was more important to spread cricket and as well produce players.

IMO, priority of building stadium should have been something like the following order:-

1. Dhaka (already have 2 !!!)
2. Chittagong (already have 2)
3. Rajshahi (already have 1)
4. khulna (already have 1)
5. Mymensingh (deprived for dirty politics)
6. Sylhet (also deprived)

But we all know why at Bogra. Its all about dirty politics.IMO, this stadium will bring minimum good to BD cricket, as there are not too many interested local people in Bogra who would use that stadium (I don’t think bogra even have any quality league). Rajshahi have good cricket league, but obviously they would not come to Bogra.

Number: 3
=======

Pros:

1) Durjoy and Co. did the right thing by protesting against BCB for depriving Dhaka.

Cons:

We all know durjoy is involved with AL politics. So he is also not clean enough. As a result his movement won’t get momentum.

Sauron
February 16, 2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by sufism
awesome, brother Sauron can you plz show us some pictures of the Stadium. the way you praised the ground, i can't wait to see it. thank you.

কোথাও কোন ছবি পেলাম না। কিন্তু চিন্তা করবেন না, আর তো দুই তিন দিন। তারপরে টিভি তেই দেখতে পাবেন। এখন শুধু কুফা ঝেরে আরামে বসেন। স্টেডিয়াম যখন দেখবেন তখন দেখবেন আমার কথায় ভুল কিছু নাই।

gravitY
February 16, 2006, 06:10 PM
btw, looks like Durjoy has gained quite a few lbs, i wonder if he wishes to play any more cricket!!

at the first look, i thot its Saber Hossain C. :duh:

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 11:11 PM GMT, by gravitY.

mshakir56
February 16, 2006, 06:57 PM
I think the protesters are being kind of selfish, cause they need to give other people chances to enjoy cricket matches. All the international level cricket matches are held either in Dhaka or Chittagong, so they shouldn't be bragging for one single series. If protests like this goes on, then one day, all the major cities in Bangladesh will start protesting.

mahrookh
February 16, 2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by gravitY
btw, looks like Durjoy has gained quite a few lbs, i wonder if he wishes to play any more cricket!!

at the first look, i thot its Saber Hossain C. :duh:

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 11:11 PM GMT, by gravitY.

eto boro sharir niya Bograi jaitey koshto hobey , ki bolen ?

akbar1
February 16, 2006, 07:56 PM
I just can't understand why the big fuss about No cricket in Dhaka.

It's just one serice right!

When Mirpur & Fatullah open's up Dhaka will be back on the map. Most likely this will happen during the Aussy serise.

BWT, the so called Dhaka citizens start protesting than what about the citys of the country.

SYLHET: they have produced so many quality players for the nation league and yet forget about playing internation matches they can't even stage a national league match this year.

so how come they are not protesting?

thebest
February 16, 2006, 09:17 PM
What is the fuss? Is Dhakaite has the born right to watch International cricket? Did all visiting team in India play in Eden Garden (Meccaof Indian Cricket) or SCG or Lords?

esteban_loaiza
February 16, 2006, 09:22 PM
This is 100% pure Awami issue.... nothing else.

CricTiger
February 16, 2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by esteban_loaiza
This is 100% pure Awami issue.... nothing else.

When THEY NAMED IT AS BNS ,they killed the stadium.The current GOVT just take their time and waited for the right moment to banish Cricket from dhaka for a While.And we all know Why game starts in BOGRA.

iT'S GOOD for cricket but also i am worried that politics starts playing a bigger roles as time passes by.

abherath
February 16, 2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by mahrookh
If the Bangabandhu Stadium is hosting any cricket match then where's the pitch ? They have to bring a drop in pitch . Whoever is protesting do they have any idea how much money it costs to bring one drop in pitch immediately ? Kaajnar cheye baajna beshi hoiya jabey tokhon :)

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 9:13 PM GMT, by mahrookh.

That's a really good one, 'a drop in pitch'. Good concept for a businessman !

I understand that the BNS is now completely given over to soccer, which means it will not be possible to maintain wickets there. Is that right ?

Since Dhaka has been a centre for cricket for so long, is there any other option close to Dhaka which is ready ? Is Mirpur quite close to Dhaka ? I hope that it is not one of the two venues in Dhaka that have been disapproved by the ICC.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 3:39 AM GMT, by abherath.

sadi
February 16, 2006, 10:40 PM
yeah it has been disapproved as it is not quite ready for cricket yet... but they are working on it and it should be ready in a month or so... Mirpur is about an hour drive from BNS.

cricketboy
February 16, 2006, 11:57 PM
BNS should have remained for cricket in the 1st place because its a historic test match ground. But now since govt decided to spread cricket around they should have looked at venues like Sylhet which have int. airport and quality hotels. Bogra doesnt even have a airport. What was the need of bulding a stadium in chittagong when there is MA aziz stadium. :bald:

mahrookh
February 17, 2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by cricketboy
BNS should have remained for cricket in the 1st place because its a historic test match ground. But now since govt decided to spread cricket around they should have looked at venues like Sylhet which have int. airport and quality hotels. Bogra doesnt even have a airport. What was the need of bulding a stadium in chittagong when there is MA aziz stadium. :bald:

Now it's way too late . There's no pitch on the stadium . So , where they gonna play . They are playing cricket this time not the soccer :)

akbar1
February 17, 2006, 01:46 AM
I agree with cricketboy bhai.

Why two stadiums in Chittagogng. Why not maymingshig or sylhet.

Sylhet have good hotel's, airport and interesting places to visit. It is also Bangladesh's holy city.

sunny747
February 17, 2006, 02:39 AM
did you guy see the picture of naimur in the 1st page of Bc??
my god, he balloned so much..did he stop cricket or what? .i guess he has nothing to do and this is an opportunity for him to come into limelight for a while....

RazabQ
February 17, 2006, 02:43 AM
that's দুর্জয় . Man alive he's gotten fat!

esteban_loaiza
February 17, 2006, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by akbar1
I agree with cricketboy bhai.

Why two stadiums in Chittagogng. Why not maymingshig or sylhet.

Sylhet have good hotel's, airport and interesting places to visit. It is also Bangladesh's holy city.

Since cricket is not the only sport played in Chittagong they needed multiple stadiums just like Dhaka. It is the second largets city in Bangladesh, why it cant have two stadiums? About Sylhet, how much people in Sylhet tried for a good stadium over there? I think they missed a good opportunity during under-19 world cup when the new stadiums were built accross the country.

Really it is difficult to make a connection between need of a stadium and a city being holy.

Baundule
February 17, 2006, 04:03 AM
Excellent observation by Kana-Baba!
It is all about dirty politics. Cricket is banished from the BNS only because it's name is BNS. There are quite a number of cities with much more importance than Bogura. It is all about dirty politics. The unprepared pitch etc. are lame excuses.

It is good to spread cricket all over the country. But it is a loss for cricket fans not having any match in the capital. There should have been at least one test and one ODI in Dhaka.

Someone mentioned about not having an Airport at Bogra. Let's raise the issue to the proper authority and hopefully, we can see an Airport in near future (given BNP is again elected), though it carries no importance from the business or communication perspective. BTW, the Airport may find its way towards Tungipara if AL find their way to win the election. :)

It's all craps and shame!

Originally posted by Kana-Baba
Few observations about the issue –

Number: 1
=======

Pros:-

BCB wants to spread cricket in the whole country. GOOD.

Cons:

Why need to deprive Dhaka? Dhaka deserves at least a match or two.

Number: 2
=======

Pros:

Bogra inhabitants will watch good cricket. It will certainly encourage them get involved with cricket.

Cons:

Why cricket at Bogra? Why not in Mymensingh or other city more closely related to cricket?

Mymensingh is well know for producing quality players and have one of the most competitive cricket leagues of the country. It also has large sports loving population pool. In my opinion, building a class stadium in Mymensingh was more important to spread cricket and as well produce players.

IMO, priority of building stadium should have been something like the following order:-

1. Dhaka (already have 2 !!!)
2. Chittagong (already have 2)
3. Rajshahi (already have 1)
4. khulna (already have 1)
5. Mymensingh (deprived for dirty politics)
6. Sylhet (also deprived)

But we all know why at Bogra. Its all about dirty politics.IMO, this stadium will bring minimum good to BD cricket, as there are not too many interested local people in Bogra who would use that stadium (I don’t think bogra even have any quality league). Rajshahi have good cricket league, but obviously they would not come to Bogra.

Number: 3
=======

Pros:

1) Durjoy and Co. did the right thing by protesting against BCB for depriving Dhaka.

Cons:

We all know durjoy is involved with AL politics. So he is also not clean enough. As a result his movement won’t get momentum.

thebest
February 17, 2006, 04:41 AM
রাজনৈতিক উদ্দেশ্য বা honest mistake যেটাই হোক না কেন ঢাকাই এখন ২টা মাঠ শুধু ক্রিকেট এর জন্য।BNS এর বয়স ৫০ হয়েচে। সুতারাং আমার মনে হয় BNS ছেড়ে দেয়া শাপে বর হয়েছে। ওখানে খেলার আয়োজন করা বিপদজনক হতে পারে।দুর্জয় এবং বন্ধুরা limelight এ আসার চেস্টা করছে।

thebest
February 17, 2006, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by cricketboy

actually the stadium existed till late 70s. Wht BCB done is made it exclusive for cricket like Khulna stadium (the new unapproved one)

Ahmed_B
February 17, 2006, 04:54 AM
Kana baba is probably the one here who is seeing the picture most clear.

And the question I want to ask is... why can't we have both BNS & Mirpur as cricket venues in Dhaka? CTG has 2 grounds... why can't dhaka? It is the capital city after all. I won't accept the logic that handing it over to Football is doing a huge lot of good. Losing BNS was surely one of the ugliest things that ever happened to our cricket. BD cricket's infrastructure surely would be stronger with that venue added to our list. Think of the situation right now... we don't have mirpur ready, so we have to shift all the matches outside dhaka(which is surely less effective in financial terms too). If we still had BNS.. we wouldnt have to do it.

PoorFan
February 17, 2006, 05:20 AM
Protesting on a dead issue for what? getting political attention? We all know that Dhaka is going to have 2 stadium to be approved by ICC very soon, so why making a fuss from nothing? poor and hopeless guys!

I fully support shifting cricket from BNS to Mirpur and Fatullah, of course with sufficient facility. Playing football and cricket on a same ground every year never good for both sports. The facilities of BNS is not up to the level of MODERN cricket stadium, so its reasonable to left it for football, which is only one RECOGNIZED ground for BD football. Just leave political rumor aside and think positive, we are all getting too much poisoned by our ugly political ****, instead of thinking straight.

BanCricFan
February 17, 2006, 05:45 AM
I was really puzzled why Sylhet wasn't hosting any NCL matches. Now it has become more clear!... Over the years Sylhet has given so many talents to our cricket and the game is so popular there- its really shocking and surprising that they dont have a international standard stadium!!

They are missing out on holding international matches despite having the required infra-structure i.e Int. airport, quality hotels. It is also one of the most beautiful part of the country. Players, officials, fans/tourist will be enchanted by those beautiful tea gardens, hills and not to mention the hospitality of the local people!

Who is to be blamed here- Administration of Sylhet or BCB's short-sightedness (failure to spread the game)??

Tigers_eye
February 17, 2006, 09:11 AM
How long old facilities can satisfy the modern requirements? The Stadium needed a total renovation and still split time with Soccer. The traffic jam, I am not even going to go there? Good thing Cricket was moved from BNS. Mirpur Stadium is in Dhaka so why cry foul? Those who have business around that area now will be happy that no cricket riot will destroy their property. :) There will be new record books, new heroes, new page in Bangladesh Cricket.

Holy city in Bangladesh? I don't know if there were any divine revolution revealed in our land. Honestly speaking there are so many mazar's in BD almost every tiny town can be called as Holy city if that is the sole case for labelling as Holy city. I can't argue with the airport though (Sylhet).

Why Build a stadium in Bogra? Politics, asscessibility. I will try to buy some land around the Stadium. Good investment. Rajshahi would have been a good choice for they could put up some huge numbers in the stands. However, people from elsewhere would have a hard time travelling there, even Rangpur, Dinajpur.

Instead of ridiculing the CB why not we all get behind them and for once recognise that they built few world class new stadiums which would be extremely helpful for Cricket in years to come.

হরতাল ডেকে test বা ODI বন্ধ করতে পারবে না । More Stadium outside Dhaka the better it is.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 2:17 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

sadi
February 17, 2006, 09:17 AM
Maybe both. I heard Sylhet stadium is really good and it wouldn't be hard to make it an international stadium since infra-structure are already there... But I must give credit to cricket board for atleast getting Bogra and Khulna ready for international cricket... Nai mamar cheye kana mama bhalo... mirpur and fatullah will be ready soon and then they can maybe work on sylhet and mymensingh

thebest
February 17, 2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
How long old facilities can satisfy the modern requirements? The Stadium needed a total renovation and still split time with Soccer. The traffic jam, I am not even going to go there? Good thing Cricket was moved from BNS. Mirpur Stadium is in Dhaka so why cry foul? Those who have business around that area now will be happy that no cricket riot will destroy their property. :) There will be new record books, new heroes, new page in Bangladesh Cricket.

Holy city in Bangladesh? I don't know if there were any divine revolution revealed in our land. Honestly speaking there are so many mazar's in BD almost every tiny town can be called as Holy city if that is the sole case for labelling as Holy city. I can't argue with the airport though (Sylhet).

Why Build a stadium in Bogra? Politics, asscessibility. I will try to buy some land around the Stadium. Good investment. Rajshahi would have been a good choice for they could put up some huge numbers in the stands. However, people from elsewhere would have a hard time travelling there, even Rangpur, Dinajpur.

Instead of ridiculing the CB why not we all get behind them and for once recognise that they built few world class new stadiums which would be extremely helpful for Cricket in years to come.

হরতাল ডেকে test বা ODI বন্ধ করতে পারবে না । More Stadium outside Dhaka the better it is.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 2:17 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.
:up:

rudro
February 17, 2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Cats_eye

আমার মনের কথা বলেছেন ভাই। বাংলাদেশে ক্রিকেট ছাড়াও আরো খেলা আছে, সেটা ভুললে চলবে কেমন করে? বড় জোর আমরা এটা বলতে পারি, মিরপুর স্টেডিয়াম না ঠিক করে বি এন এস ছেড়ে দেয়া ঠিক হয়নি। বগুড়ায় বি এন পি করেছে, আমি অপেক্ষায় আছি আওয়ামী লীগ করবে ময়মনসিংহে।

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 3:40 PM GMT, by rudro.

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 17, 2006, 10:50 AM
jaihok,
amar shohor bogray akti antorjatik maner cricket stadium gorar jonno jara oklanto porisrom koreche tader shobar jonno amar roilo antorik kritoggota. obosshoi eta cricket ar jonno akta bhalo dik bole ami mone kori. shudhu dhaka ebong chittagong a stadium banalai pura desher rricket ar unnoti hobe na eta amader shobar mone rakha uchit. tai ami mone kori je akhon je bogra ebong khulnateo stadium hoyeche eta cricket ar jonno akta ottanto bhalo dik.

some folks are crying because of a cricket stadium not being built in mymensigh. i was just wondering how far is mymensing from dhaka. i dont think it is too far. if our goal is to spread cricket across the country i dont think making another stadium in mymensingh is going to be that helpful given the fact that two new stadiums one in dhaka city and one in the outskirts of dhaka city are already on their way.
i understand BNS is rich in cricket history. there were many memories bla ...bla... bla.....
but that stadium is real old. we need to get something good for our cricketers, something permanent which need they use it all year long. so i dont think there is any reason for crying because of cricket not being played in BNS anymore.
for some reason there are people in this country who feels that the northern part of the country should be neglected. which is why it didnt sound right to them when they found out that two of the three ODI matches are going to be played in Bogra. there are folks here who mentioned that, "this stadium (the newly built stadium in Bogra) will bring minimum good to BD cricket, as there are not too many interested local people in Bogra who would use that stadium". I just wanted to know on what basis the member have commented on this. Did he do a recent survey in Bogra on this topic? Another folk mentioned that Bogra wont get enough people in the stadium. Please wait and see if it does or does not. Just during the U-19 world cup last year the stadium was operating at full capacity and now the main teams are going to be playing. So I dont see why some people are getting scared of not enough people going to go and watch the game.
Well yeah I understand that probably making a stadium in Bogra was political. But lets please not cry for that. Can we not think positive and think that the northern part of the country which was always being neglected finally now is getting some exposure. I understand there are very few people from the Northern part of Bangladesh playing in the national team. But why is that? that is mainly because we never had kind of a stadium. Only Rajshahi had one, which is why the only few players that come from this northern part is from Rajshahi. Geographically I think Bogra is a good location in that region as it is the center in that region. It bascially takes 2 hours to travel from Rangpur to Bogra, Dinajpur to Bogra and about 2-3 hours from the other northern districts. Thus, if a league is held in that region, players from other northern districts can easily come in. The only drawback of Bogra is that it does not have any airport. My friends it does not even take 4 hours to get to Bogra by road. Moreover, the road is as smooth as silk. Plus any tourist will love to travel through Jamuna Bridge.
People have been crying here because of a stadium not being built in Sylet. One of the reason given was, because of the city being holy. I seriously do not have anything to comment on this because that is the most rediculous excuse I have ever heard. Another reason is that the great hospitality of the local people in Sylhet. My friends people in Bangladesh everywhere are kind and generous to their guests. So dont count that as an excuse. Well Sylhet has beautiful tea gardens. Yes that is a very good tourist attraction indeed. But Bogra has Mahasthan Gor. So dont worry, visiting teams will have places to go around Bogra too.

Finally, I will conclude again by stating that it was a very good decision to make a stadium in Bogra and Khulna. Bogra is in the northern part and Khulna is in the Southern part. Thus, that is a very good way of spreading the game.
Thank you very much.

rudro
February 17, 2006, 10:57 AM
FRB,

আপনার নীচের লেখাটা খুব সহজেই বাংলায় চালিয়ে দিতে পারতেন। অভ্র ফোনেটিক দিয়ে।

jaihok,
amar shohor bogray akti antorjatik maner cricket stadium gorar jonno jara oklanto porisrom koreche tader shobar jonno amar roilo antorik kritoggota. obosshoi eta cricket ar jonno akta bhalo dik bole ami mone kori. shudhu dhaka ebong chittagong a stadium banalai pura desher rricket ar unnoti hobe na eta amader shobar mone rakha uchit. tai ami mone kori je akhon je bogra ebong khulnateo stadium hoyeche eta cricket ar jonno akta ottanto bhalo dik.

sadi
February 17, 2006, 11:42 AM
FRB, great post and agree with you 100 percent. Doesn't matter whether its political or not, a cricket stadium is always good and can't hurt. Looking at the newspaper, I have a feeling that people are very much interested in Bogra games and I think we will ahve fullhouse for both odis. Whoever wants a stadium in Sylhet, I can't blame them. Sylhet has rich history of cricket and definately deserves a stadium. Not because the place is holy but because people there loves cricket and deserves to see some international action. Can't wait to see Bogra stadium on tv. Hopefully, its as good as BNS if not better.

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 17, 2006, 12:29 PM
Sadi Bhai,
thank you very much for your support. Yes, probably Sylhet needs a stadium too as you have said not because of its being holy or natural beauty but because of rich cricket history. Cricket is actually loved by people all over the country. So making a stadium anywhere in the country is going to work. But still I would say making it in Bogra was a good reason not because I am from Bogra, and not because of Mahasthan Gor or because of "Bograr Doi" but because of the fact that, that part of the country was really neglected in sports. Yes, you will say there is very few people coming into the national team from that region but that is because they did not have any place to perform their talents. It is not easy for everyone to come to all the way to BKSP you have to know that.
So once again, dont worry, people in Bogra loves cricket like anywhere in the country and finally get over with the fact that it was political or not because at least it is going to help spread cricket nationwide which is our main goal. Remember talents are all over the country not only in Dhaka, Chittagong, Sylhet and Mymensingh. Mushfiqur Rahim, the kid everyone is praising right now, not only in Bangladesh but in all cricket nations, he is actually from Bogra. So there is also talent in that region too.
Thank you very much once again.

Fazal
February 17, 2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
Mushfiqur Rahim, the kid everyone is praising right now, not only in Bangladesh but in all cricket nations, he is actually from Bogra.

... and our one and only one, unique in every sense, FaltuRidwanBhai? Is he also from Bogura:-/

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 17, 2006, 12:51 PM
jaihok,
fazal bhai,
amio kintu shai "doi ar shohor", mohosthan gorer shohor" bogura thekai. dhannabad.

Tigers_eye
February 17, 2006, 01:17 PM
FR Bhai,
point gula khubi shokto. karor bhangar shamortho nai. Ami apnar shatey pura-puri ekmot. Ei post korar agey Doi'er kotha all ready boley felsen.

Ami ar ekta point boltey chai:

Pabna khub kasey. BD-team: player, coach, selectors ek dui bar trip ditey parbey chikitshar jonno. 5 din'er match. 5th day tey easily ekta appointment korey raktey parey.

Kana-Baba
February 17, 2006, 01:28 PM
As far as it concerns about Mymensingh, do you guys remember the GMCC (Greater Mymensingh Cricket Club)? It was a mighty team in the premier division league even ten years ago. Do you have any idea how many national players they produced in 80’s and 90’s?

Mymensingh has been arranging one of the most competitive cricket leagues of the nations for more than twenty years.

Recently Mymensingh league has been dried up due to the lack of enough facility as well as a dedicated cricket stadium. Mymensingh has a single under prepared multi purpose stadium where cricket, football as well as cows graze together.

Degradation of Mymensignh cricket has been a consistent news in Bangladeshi news papers (yes, you just need to read news about local sports, concentrating international sports would do no good to know about deshi sports)

I would like to request those please who are in doubt about it should study the trend of domestic cricket; you will see where it (Mymensingh) stands. It just takes sufficient level of consciousness about your nation to know these issues; no accurate statistical survey is required.

I have never mentioned that a cricket stadium in Bogra is going to hurt our cricket. Bogra can by all means have a stadium.

But we should not forget that Bangladesh has limited resources to build stadiums. With this limited we need to select a place for stadium that will bring us maximum profit. Then go for the next place.

Considering our financial situation and domestic cricket history, where do you think we should build a stadium first to reap off maximum benefit? The place which has established rich cricket history, large player pool and large sports loving population pool? Or in a place which have no prior involvement in cricket and the success remains as a distant future possibility? Should we prioritize building stadium based on possibility or based on certainty.

Bogra, Mymensingh or Sylhet does not really matter to me. As a cricket fan I wanna see Bangladesh is reaping of maximum benefit and advancing rapidly in cricket world. One can only get the picture right if he can think Bangladesh as country.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 7:06 PM GMT, by Kana-Baba.

sadi
February 17, 2006, 01:42 PM
another good post... if they already have a stadium in mymensingh, all they need to do is fix it... it shouldn't be as expensive as to build a new one....

Kana-Baba
February 17, 2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by sadi
another good post... if they already have a stadium in mymensingh, all they need to do is fix it... it shouldn't be as expensive as to build a new one....

well, the stadium is years old and it is not up to the mark. almost every district of bd has somewhat this type of multi purpose stadium usually called 'Jela stadium'. We are discussing about modern cricket stadium.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 7:05 PM GMT, by Kana-Baba.

BanCricFan
February 17, 2006, 02:37 PM
jaihok,
People have been crying here because of a stadium not being built in Sylet. One of the reason given was, because of the city being holy. I seriously do not have anything to comment on this because that is the most rediculous excuse I have ever heard. Another reason is that the great hospitality of the local people in Sylhet. My friends people in Bangladesh everywhere are kind and generous to their guests. So dont count that as an excuse. Well Sylhet has beautiful tea gardens. Yes that is a very good tourist attraction indeed. But Bogra has Mahasthan Gor. So dont worry, visiting teams will have places to go around Bogra too.

FRB bhai,
Jaihok, ....i dont think Sylhet being mentioned as "holy" (!) wasn't a protest against a stadia being built there, rather...
Jaihok,... ami kintu "Sylheti otithi appaionota" shommondhe nitantoi kother khatire bole chilam..cosmetics..er ki! Of course, all people of BD are hospitable, needless to say!
...We have to get out of regional/tribal mentality and think of everyone as one. ...Dhonnonbad.
I'm glad that Bogra staging Int. matches...good for the game,...good for our country. The comment about people will not go to watch games in Bogra is somewhat dubious, to say the least!

Abar-o-dhonnobad.

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 17, 2006, 03:00 PM
jaihok,
abaro kintu lekhte holo.

The thing is I don't have anything against Mymensingh or Sylhet. Mymensingh have been able to produce competitive leagues because they atleast at a stadium. Doesnt matter what the condition was but they atleast had one. There is no reason for, "Tela mathay tel dawa". We already have some kind of a stadium in Mymensingh. Yes I understand that is not upto the standard for playing quality cricket. But Mymensingh is close to enough from Dhaka than from Dhaka to Bogra which is why I am saying that it is a better choice to make a stadium in Bogra than in Mymensingh. Mymensingh players have atleast a ground to perform but people from that northern part of the country didnt even have one. Well there is one in Rajshahi. But it takes about more than 5 hours just to get to Rajshahi from Dinajpur and beyound that. So not everyone is going to be able to use that. Bogra is basically at the center. Thus, they will surely, be able to produce good leages. A member has stated that, "I don’t think bogra even have any quality league." Yes this is true because we didnt have a stadium all this time and for your kind information it is not possible to host a league in the middle of a paddy field. If it was possible then surely that northern part of the country would have been able to produce more players than it is producing now. There was another question a member raised whether Bogra has "large sports loving population pool" or not. Yes, Bogra people are Bangladeshi they are not Japanese. They love cricket too as much as anywhere in the country. They are not fond of Baseball. All these years they have been neglected, all these years the northern part of the country has been neglected. Its not that those people there do not have any cricket interest except for only Mushfiqur Rahim. The problem is there was no place to perform.
One last statment, "Should we prioritize building stadium based on possibility or based on certainty". I dont understand this at all. We are not building a stadium based on possibility at all. We are doing that to spread it across the country. I dont think there is also a 100% certainty that Mymensingh will produce better players than the Northern or Southern part of the country no matter what. Yes they had a good league in the 1980's and 1990's thats only because they had a place to play.
BanCricFan Bhai,
ajke ai stadium Bograte na hoye Sylhet a hole ami moteo kannakati kortam na. I dont see any competition going on within districts. There is no need for that. But my only point was that yes all these years players have came from Sylhet, Chittagong and Dhaka region only because of the fact that they had place to play and perform and above all they had the publicity. Whereas the northern part of the country still seems to be in darkness.
So once again I am not trying to have any kind of fight with any kind of district. There is no reason for that. Our Passport says "Bangladesh" not the name of the district. I just think Bogra is a better choice because of the neglection of this region all these years.
Thank you once again.

Spitfire_x86
February 17, 2006, 03:10 PM
FaltuRidwanBhai, আপনি আসল বাংলা লেখা শুরু করলে খুব ভালো হত। বাংলা লেখার জন্য প্রচুর সাহায্য পাবেন। Forget Cricket সেকশনে একটু যান।

translation (if you can't see Bangla): FaltuRidwanBhai, it would be great if you start writing real Bangla. You'll get plenty help for writing Bangla. Just visit "Forget Cricket" section

rudro
February 17, 2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
FaltuRidwanBhai, আপনি আসল বাংলা লেখা শুরু করলে খুব ভালো হত। বাংলা লেখার জন্য প্রচুর সাহায্য পাবেন। Forget Cricket সেকশনে একটু যান।

যেমন
"FaltuRidwanBhai" এর অভ্র ফোনেটিক বাংলা হবে ফালতুরিদ্বানভাই - বেয়াদবি মাফ করবেন।

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 8:16 PM GMT, by rudro.

Kana-Baba
February 17, 2006, 04:28 PM
You will be amazed to know that Bogra had a 'Zella Stadium' since 1964 and that is I believe established almost about the same time as Mymensigh Zella Stadium – all these ‘Zella’ stadiums in BD hava same characteristics – relatively large out field, small gallery (in between 5000 to 10000 capacity), no good dressing room, no media center, ordinary cricket pitch and obviously used for multiple purpose.

Even with same quality stadium why Mymensingh had far greater cricket league than bogra? Was it a part of conspiracy? The local league is usually arranged by local ‘Krira Shongstha’. Why they could not put up a good show despite of a field? If they had enough cricket enthusiastic people they should have a decent cricket league. Why Bogra could not produced enough quality players? Do you think throwing out an international stadium would have us to see that all the bogra bashi suddenly becoming cricket crazy?

It is true that northern part of BD is the most under developed part of the country. That is not for intentional negligence. Geographically it is separated by two big rivers – the mighty Padma and the mighty Jamuna. Communication was the main factor here. With building Jamuna bridge, hopefully more investments will go there and eventually it will be more economically developed.

If you consider importance of a city as regional hub of activities then Mymensingh and Sylhet are probably more important. Now if I try to impose Bogra as the center point of that area (i am not talking about geographycally, I ment by culturally and economically and as a center of govt. administrative works), its not going to work. At the end it matters to what local people thinks about Bogra city. Do the people living surrounding Bogra consider it as true center for economic and and cultural activities? At least have never of anything like that. Mymensinh shadar (or simple central) is widely recognized by people of greater Mymensingh area (that includes tangail, netrokona, jamalpur – indeed they were part of mymensingh zella even few years ago ) for more than a century. Same goes with Sylhet (center for moulivibizar, shunamgong etc.). People of the surrounding area goes there regular basis and and consider as their hub. Now stadium at place where people aspires regular basis would have more effect, IMO.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 9:31 PM GMT, by Kana-Baba.

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 17, 2006, 04:37 PM
if you come to bogra in the morning you will surely find out if bogra is the center or not geographically, economically or whatever comes to your mind. people from other northern districts pour in bogra in the morning for work. you dont have to hear everything because not everything comes in the newspaper. seems like you have something real big against bogra. i am just too sorry for that. but yeah you have to go on with the fact that two ODI and one test is going to be held in bogra. thank you.

To the protestors of Dhaka:
I symphathize with you. But your complain is that, Dhaka is being deprieved of cricket because no match is going to be held in Dhaka. Well if this is the reason why you are complaining then I think that, the other 62 districts, other than Chittagong had all the right to protest before every series that had been played because they were also deprieved then. Every district has the same right. Just for once the series is not going to be held in Dhaka, so I dont think there is anyreason for people of Dhaka to wet their handkerchief. Why not let some other district watch the game this time?

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 9:43 PM GMT, by FaltuRidwanBhai.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 9:47 PM GMT, by FaltuRidwanBhai.

Flipper
February 17, 2006, 04:44 PM
FRB,

I understand you completely. I know it's hard sometime when someone say something bad about your district for no appearent reason. :-/

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 17, 2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Flipper
FRB,

I understand you completely. I know it's hard sometime when someone say something bad about your district for no appearent reason. :-/

thank you flipper. i appreciate it very much.

reverse_swing
February 17, 2006, 04:53 PM
well when I was in Grameen phone I had to travel whole North bengal frequently.I travelled every single districts of North Bengal as a Radio Planner. Most of the time for night time stay our base was either Bogra or Rangpur. We even preferred to travel 100 kms just to stay in bogra as you will get better accommodation there. Bogra is quite a big city and imho centre of north bengal.

Btw I’m from Dhaka not Bogra. :)

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 10:01 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.

Kana-Baba
February 17, 2006, 04:53 PM
if you come to bogra in the morning you will surely find out if bogra is the center or not geographically, economically or whatever comes to your mind. people from other northern districts pour in bogra in the morning for work. you dont have to hear everything because not everything comes in the newspaper. seems like you have something real big against bogra. i am just too sorry for that. but yeah you have to go on with the fact that two ODI and one test is going to be held in bogra. thank you.
[/i]

I have nothing against Bogra. By all means I want to see Borgra is doing fine. My point was simply prioritizing our limited resources to the places from where our country can reap maximum benefit. I just think there are few other places that should have international quality stadium before Bogra. That’s all about it. I will be happier to see dedicated cricket stadiums at every district of BD – even in remote Bandarban.

Well, I have already adopted the fact that there will be ODI and test in Bogra – nothing surprises me at all in a country where regionalism is upheld over national interest or prime ministers son becomes the biggest business magnet who can even build a four star hotel to accommodate his nepotism!

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 17, 2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by reverse_swing
well when I was in Grameen phone I had to travel whole North bengal frequently.I travelled every single districts of North Bengal as a Radio Planner. Most of the time for night time stay our base was either Bogra or Rangpur. We even preferred to travel 100 kms just to stay in bogra as you will get better accommodation there. Bogra is quite a big city and imho centre of north bengal.

Btw I’m from Dhaka not Bogra. :)

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 9:54 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.

thank you for this important information. people should now realize that bogra just doesnt fall from the sky. it is an important district in the north bengal. the north part just doesnt get enough publicity as other parts of the country. thats just the way it is. which is why people from other divisions have hardly any idea about what goes on there. some folks like to think that people in the North watches basketball or something and cricket is not popular there. well yeah cricket is popular there too. but as you know northern part of the country is poorer than any other parts in the country. so you cannot expect them to start playing cricket when they not have money to eat. this is why they were unable to produce good players. not because they are not interested or whatever nonsense reasons.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 10:03 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Reason: mod.content: Quote.

cricketboy
February 17, 2006, 05:20 PM
WHatever is the case all the best to Bogra and CDS for the coming series. What I am thinking is there should be some grounds where our A team and visting teams can play practice matches. I think Fatullah and MA aziz can be two when Mirpur and CDS hosts international matches. I am seing Bogra as a mainly one-day venue in future along with Khulna. Mirpur STadium and CDS will be the prime test grounds of BD of next few years I think.

rudro
February 18, 2006, 12:03 AM
আমার বউ-এর দেশ বগুড়া। বগুড়ার পদ্মপাড়া। ফা রি ভা সম্পর্কে তাহলে আমার শা----হবেন। আমার বগুড়া সম্পর্কে খুব ভাল ধারনা। (না করে যাব কোথায়?) বিভাগীয় শহর না হয়েও বগুড়া অনেক দিক থেকে ঢাকার মত আধুনিক। সে যাই হোক, আরো একবার লিখেছি, এবার একটা হল বগুড়ায়, পরবর্তী সরকারে আর একটা হবে ময়মনসিংহে বা ফরিদপুরে। এটা নিয়া অন্যদের মন খারাপ করার কিছু নাই।

Edited on, February 18, 2006, 5:04 AM GMT, by rudro.