PDA

View Full Version : U/19's performence inspired inclusion of Kapali!!!

TheWatcher
February 19, 2006, 02:27 PM
New Age (http://www.newagebd.com/2006/feb/20/spt.html)
...the performances of the Bangladesh Under-19 side in the Sri Lanka World Cup have now become a great source of inspiration for the senior squad. The display by Mushfiqur Rahim and his team-mates was so impressive that the coach of the national team Dav Whatmore was forced to change his views on Bangladesh cricket.

‘Now we feel that in one-day cricket there is an important role for the number 7, 8 and 9 batsmen. There is slight change in our vision on Bangladesh cricket and it is about that area,’ Whatmore said while talking to reporters before the first one-day match here at the Shaheed Chandu Stadium.

‘We are generally very pleased seeing what happened at the Under-19 World Cup. There are a bunch of talented players who are coming up, it is very exciting for us,’ he said.

It is not a secret that the main strength of the Bangladesh Under-19 team lies in the late order where there are a number of players who can bat effectively and change the fate of a game readily. It helped them beat at least four Test-playing nations – New Zealand, Pakistan, West Indies and Sri Lanka – and secure the fifth position in the just-concluded tournament.

Taking a lesson from them, Whatmore has decided to send recalled middle-order batsman Alok Kapali down the order so that he can produce somemuch-needed acceleration to an otherwise oft fragile upper-order batting of the Bangladesh team.

‘In one-day cricket you don’t need to take 10 wickets always to win the match. But you have to score runs every time if you want to win. That is why we need to produce some juicy players who are multi-skilled and who arrive to make some good contribution down the order,’ he said.
I think his game plan would be perfect if he had chosen another SLA in Rana instead of Chacha, but I guess DW did not have much option but to let Chacha play his farewell game. Hope to see Rana in the next match.

Edited on, February 19, 2006, 7:42 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

Carte Blanche
February 19, 2006, 02:43 PM
I really like this idea. It resembles Woolmer's Afridi tonic (not comparing Kapali with Afridi though). Hopefully our top order can last longer so Kapali and the other lower order batsmen can freely play their stroke without worrying too much about occupying the crease to avoid a collapse.

mafizraju
February 19, 2006, 02:51 PM
mark my word ........... Kapali will perform... he may fade out again but before that he will for sure play some innigs top remember

sadi
February 19, 2006, 03:52 PM
I surely hope so

shamster
February 19, 2006, 04:34 PM
Kapali is good fielder too a good point fielder if I remember correctly. Technically sound batsman but may be pressure gets to him. Also Bashar does not like his leg spin does he? Bashar is a bowler who just bowls the 5 bowlers. He will have quite a few options tomorrow.

thebest
February 19, 2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by mafizraju
mark my word ........... Kapali will perform... he may fade out again but before that he will for sure play some innigs top remember

I wish. But unfortunately it would be only in dreams. He would score 8 in four balls. I could give you the ball by ball description. It is W . 4 4 W. After two fours commentators and Alok supporters would boast what a talented batsman he is and the next ball the ballon would be gone.

mshakir56
February 19, 2006, 10:53 PM
Yes, Dav Whatmore, wake up and pick the phone .

BappyHayat
February 19, 2006, 11:47 PM
still alok re baad diya rana re neya uchit

DJ Sahastra
February 20, 2006, 12:22 AM
In my opinion, BD Cricket would be better served if the Coach, Selectors and Captain understood a very simple thing - Alok Kapali is more of a bowler who can bat too, and not the other way round.

It would be worse still if Alok himself started believing that he was primarily a batsman.

A couple of good knocks and he was promoted as a genuine batsman who can bowl. In my opinion (and i maybe wrong), that's where it all went wrong. His batsman-innings were exceptions. His primary skill is bowling while he can provide some impetus to the batting with power-play.

Edited on, February 20, 2006, 5:32 AM GMT, by DJ Sahastra.

Spitfire_x86
February 20, 2006, 02:11 AM
Well, that's how he started his career in domestic cricket. And initially he was also selected for national team as a bowler who can bat a bit.

Dhakablues
February 20, 2006, 02:23 AM
And he got his hattick with that skill of his,, if we remember why he was considered a talented cricketer. No coach, peer players ever said otherwise about Alok,, but its true, he needs now to stop just showing the spark but set ablaze the bat and burn lankan lions tail.....

Spitfire_x86
February 20, 2006, 05:33 AM
What was the management thinking when they sent him at #9? :duh:

He shouldn't bat at lower than #7 position.

nas
February 20, 2006, 08:43 AM
at under 19 level there isnt many bowler who could run through a tail.

but this is international cricket bat. almost all good bowlers distroy our batting lineup and they wont need a hell of an effort to clean up our tail.
u put any batsman, any world class batsman at number 8/9 to bat with the tail ender we have., with a very low score at the board it higly unlikely that they will perform a miracle and get ur score up to 250. and there are plenty of bolwer who would faincy their chances of cleaing our tail without losing their sleep

Edited on, February 20, 2006, 1:44 PM GMT, by nas.

fwullah
February 20, 2006, 09:52 AM
I guess everyone is sure about one point, that Rana needs to be playing in the final eleven - especially at home.

Already somebody mentioned that Rana should have played in place of Sujon, somebody else said that he should have played in place of Alok. And I say that Rana should have played in place of Abdur Razzak.

Now we'll see in the next game if Rana is included in the final eleven at all or not.