PDA

View Full Version : How did Masri Look in Comeback?

cricman
February 20, 2006, 12:21 PM
I wanna Know about Swing, Pace, Line, length etc. Reading 1/30 off a scorecard can't tell much. What about rasel He had 1 wicket also and should of had 2.

howzatt!
February 20, 2006, 02:24 PM
mashrafee's bowling was superb. the pitch was very pacer friendly. ball was both swinging and seaming. he also got some extra bounce off the pitch. lankan batsmen really had hard time facing him. he gave 30 runs in 7 overs, but he deserved to give away a lot less. there were a couple of boundaries simply because of fielder's fault. most of the runs he gave away came off of those few bad deliveries among many excellent ones. both jayasuriya and sangakarra were troubled by him. he looked even more dangerous with his new bowling style.ravi shastri and wasim akram just couldn't stop praising him and both of them said within a few more years he would be up there with top world class bowlers. he's got everything a world class pacer needs. russel was excellent too. looked like he increased his pace a little. he was swinging the ball both ways and also got some extra bounce off the pitch. and he deserved one more wicket. sangakarra gave a very simple catch to pilot, but pilot couldn't hold on to it. its very rare to see wicketkeeper dropping simple catches like that.

Edited on, February 20, 2006, 7:29 PM GMT, by howzatt!.

akbar1
February 20, 2006, 02:31 PM
Masre looked like a true tiger!

awsome! this guy rocks baby!!!

Spitfire_x86
February 20, 2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by akbar1
Did he look like Sundarban's tiger or Mirpur Zoo's tiger? ;)

pagol-chagol
February 20, 2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Originally posted by akbar1
Did he look like Sundarban's tiger or Mirpur Zoo's tiger? ;)

Doesn't matter as long as he doesn't look like Tiger Balm.

RazabQ
February 20, 2006, 10:18 PM
Masree's new action is a little more chest-on and open. While he was swinging the ball both ways, he was not able to bowl that "special" delivery of his. You know the one that castled Shewag. It would start to shape away and then on pitching, nip back a long ways. Also, while he bowled well, I thought he was guilty of bowling on both sides of the wicket - perhaps a matter of rust. Let's see what he does in the next match.

Russel was good though he needs to bowl from closer to the stump occasionally. He bowls from very wide and thus loses the opportunity to get more from the one that straightens slightly on the right-hander.

al Furqaan
February 20, 2006, 11:15 PM
how quick is masri now???

130 k/h still?

is rasel hitting 120?

Pundit
February 21, 2006, 12:45 AM
Luv our fasties.

Thank God, no more Tapash. Though I understand his proponents still lurk in this site.

Masri-Rasel-Shahadat

Our future. And for real.

fwullah
February 21, 2006, 12:55 AM
I couldn't realize it just by watching Mashrafee, but once the commentators said that he lost some weight. (May bre result of some good fitness training?)

Pundit
February 21, 2006, 12:59 AM
Yeah. He looked slick.

But don't say it aloud. He might decide to go Bollywood.

mahrookh
February 21, 2006, 01:28 AM
He gained some weight which was great to see :) He still needs to work on his bowling and then he will become one of the best bowler in sub - contienet . Let's watch the next match he should end up with atleast 3 wickets :) We need so many swing balls from him .

Fazal
February 21, 2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by fwullah
but once the commentators said that he lost some weight.

but then again....

Originally posted by mahrookh
He gained some weight which was great to see

He cannot loose and gain weight at the same time. Can he
:-/

RazabQ
February 21, 2006, 02:16 PM
You have to piece things together fazal. During the India series, one of the commentators quoted Whatmore in saying that "Masree eats like a champion" - I think this was in response to the barbeque that Harbhajan was doing at BNL. Then, when we saw him in the UK, he seemed a tad heavier. His face has become a lot more ফুলা though no where in the চাচা leavues. Even Sham remarked on it - saying he wasn't sure if it were the sweaters and jumpers or not. When I saw him in the last match he was much more leaner looking (on WillowTV).

Conclusion. He had put on some extra weight - not a lot but enough that with his side on twisting action, he gave himself a stress fracture on his back. Now he's lost the weight and also opened his action up. Let's hope for the best. I still hold my breath everytime he falls down.

Fazal
February 21, 2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by RazabQ
Conclusion. He had put on some extra weight - not a lot but enough

and then ....

Now he's lost the weight and also opened his action up. Let's hope for the best. I still hold my breath everytime he falls down.

Now I am more confused than before. I was expecting a plain and simple answer for simple people like me.

As of 2/21/06: Did he gained weight or lost weight in the last game compared to his weight when he last played in the England series?

I was expecting one of the possible answers:

a) Yes he gained weight a lot
b) Yes he gained weight, not not much
c) Yes he lost weight a lot
d) Yes he lost weight, not not much
e) Don't see any difference in weight gain/loss. Most likely the same.

Edited on, February 21, 2006, 7:29 PM GMT, by Fazal.

SS
February 21, 2006, 02:47 PM
anything can happen in paper and pen
to be fit you don need to be fit, don be clean
to be a national team player
when did they last peform, hardly rare
eating biriyani in lunck break
and make it nice meal, ending with cake
even you gain some weight
all they perform is in the net
Masree may be one out of thousands,
still he will get corrupt hanging out with his "friends"

pagol-chagol
February 21, 2006, 02:59 PM
Nice one SS. You should write about other things too. Your gifted pessimism gives you a leg up to see things differently.

Mashrafee, fatter or not, needs to take care of his diet if he wants to fulfill his potential. Actually, our team needs a dietatian more than a psychiatrists. Actually we need to hire a weight-trainer who is also a dietatian. It'll have a long term effect on player developments.

Glad to see some nice analyses on his bowling changes. Where did you guys watch the game?

SS
February 21, 2006, 03:28 PM
thank you sir for your comment
i will write praising poem only waiting for the moment
you told me to write something different
it will take me years to write proficient
please wish me luck
so that i can also write to have extra buck
i will stop my intro
lets look at lanka squad, one day squad that we been through
Jayawardene is act of class, can score so free
what can you do my dear Masrafee
if you can get him and also Jayasuria with your inswing
then comes Dilshan, Rafiqu gota get him with spin
Dare to say something about Sangarkara
his hitting reminds me of my teacher's "bet mara"
Tharanga also known as upul
nobody know when he will also cause our downfall
along the way comes Jehan Mubarak
he will make our bowlers say Eid Mubarak
Chamara, Fernando and Dilhara
will they will give us mercy if we give them "pranhara"
front line bowler like Perera, and Maharoof
our batsmen need to be bullet proof
Malinga might bowl so does Loukuarachi might get recall
but if we play like a tiger we can also hit their ball

AsifTheManRahman
February 21, 2006, 03:33 PM
hehehe...SS on fire! :P

RazabQ
February 21, 2006, 04:21 PM
Fazal, answer is d)

mahrookh
February 21, 2006, 04:26 PM
answer is b)

it's according to "Ravi Shastri" as he said on the tv :) Mashrafe gained some weight :)

Sauron
February 21, 2006, 04:30 PM
Masree's new action is a little more chest-on and open.

Were we watching the same match? I thought Masree's new action is more side-ways - which is less open, and not chest-on.
Also, his delivery arm is straighter than before so the ball is coming from greater height.

cricket_pagol
February 21, 2006, 04:33 PM
Good one SS :clap:

mahrookh
February 21, 2006, 04:34 PM
Wasim Akram said : Mashrafe can bowl more than 140 kph in few months if he works on his bowling :)

Shafin
February 21, 2006, 04:36 PM
Reading all your posts,i conclude that there is 4 mashrafe's in our team,one gained weight while one lost weight,one is bowling chest-on and open while the last one sideways.
Can you give us some more mashrafe?:lol:

pagol-chagol
February 21, 2006, 04:45 PM
SS- just write what you feel. Don't worry about making a buck on it. Soon you'll forget what you feel today but it'll make you feel incredible to read about your journey through life 20-30-40 years later. Write for yourself.

TheWatcher
February 21, 2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Sauron
Were we watching the same match? I thought Masree's new action is more side-ways - which is less open, and not chest-on.
Have not seen the game, but if Masri still bowling chest-on that means he has not changed his bowling action much. Or was he alternating between two actions? Sometimes pacers with history of injury do that to avoid stressing a particular muscle too much.

Sauron
February 21, 2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by TheWatcher
Originally posted by Sauron
Have not seen the game, but if Masri still bowling chest-on that means he has not changed his bowling action much. Or was he alternating between two actions? Sometimes pacers with history of injury do that to avoid stressing a particular muscle too much.

He definitely was not alternating his action. His action is NOT chest-on or open anymore ... his action looks less stressfull and surely sideways with a straighter arm. Not sure where RazabQ got his info from, but definitely not from me :)

RazabQ
February 21, 2006, 05:06 PM
Guys, side on actions are the ones that put the most stress on the back on account of the twisting required during the delivery stage. I speak from experience here :)

Masree's old action had him do a half twist - if I recall - will have to pull out the Australia highlights. The new one he just cocks his bowling arm a bit side-ways.

Will give a definitive response after today's match hopefully.

RazabQ
February 21, 2006, 05:09 PM
aaaaaargh - Ravi said "he'D gained some weight" as in prior to back injury. It was plain evident that he had lost some weight.

Sauron, agree with the arm being straighter. Now ask yourself, what kind of switch in action lends itself to a straightening of the arm prior to delivery? On that has gone more side-on and hence increased the the potential to fall towards the left side during follow-through? Or one that has become slightly more open and leads to a straighter follow-through.

Sauron
February 21, 2006, 05:16 PM
Sauron, agree with the arm being straighter. Now ask yourself, what kind of switch in action lends itself to a straightening of the arm prior to delivery? On that has gone more side-on and hence increased the the potential to fall towards the left side during follow-through? Or one that has become slightly more open and leads to a straighter follow-through.

"One that has gone more side-on and hence increased the the potential to fall towards the left side during follow-through"

Yep, you're getting the hang of it :)

TheWatcher
February 21, 2006, 05:23 PM
McGrath is generally considered a good example of side-on bowling, here is a picture of his action before throwing the ball-

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/062004/053075.jpg

And here is Mashrafee's recent picture-

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/56883308.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=AAAB1D3D22B8F28C78AB198CBA2293F1

Can't say for sure, but think Mash is bowling side-on.

Flipper
February 21, 2006, 08:55 PM
It is side-on, I think after reviewing the highlights.

In summery, he bowled really well in the game! This guy is going to be something spectacular for the whole world to watch after few more games in couple of more years.

mahrookh
February 21, 2006, 09:01 PM
The picture looks like the future of him :) but now it's still too far away :)

Flipper
February 21, 2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Pundit
Luv our fasties.

Thank God, no more Tapash. Though I understand his proponents still lurk in this site.

Masri-Rasel-Shahadat

So, You make "Kundolis" for people. That explains your nick! Can Tapash get any kind of amulet though?

jabbar
February 21, 2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by TheWatcher
McGrath is generally considered a good example of side-on bowling, here is a picture of his action before throwing the ball-

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/062004/053075.jpg

And here is Mashrafee's recent picture-

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/56883308.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=AAAB1D3D22B8F28C78AB198CBA2293F1

Can't say for sure, but think Mash is bowling side-on.

I think McGrath's action was always front-on. He is always known to be a classic front-on bowler. This is why he keeps his head still, his gaze on the area he wants to put the ball so clear, and hence such a brilliant line and length.

Not to put pressure on Mash, but I think he is a little reminiscent of McGrath (from memory of previous BD games I have watched from England tour).

Pundit
February 21, 2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Flipper
Originally posted by Pundit
Luv our fasties.

Masri-Rasel-Shahadat

So, You make "Kundolis" for people. That explains your nick! Can Tapash get any kind of amulet though?

Didn't I say, there are those who still lurk out there. Tapash will get my amulet, and you will get my...

reinausagi
February 21, 2006, 10:16 PM
Reading all your posts,i conclude that there is 4 mashrafe's in our team,one gained weight while one lost weight,one is bowling chest-on and open while the last one sideways.

That pretty much summarizes my understanding of the situation.:lol:

RazabQ
February 21, 2006, 10:38 PM
Ok I stand corrected. On second blush, Masree's action is indeed more side-on than before. I blame my late night bleary eyes :)

TheWatcher
February 21, 2006, 10:48 PM
McGrath's action is definately side-on. Here is an example of chest-on action, that of Steve Harmison-

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/55100/55176.jpg

Edited on, February 22, 2006, 3:51 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.

TheWatcher
February 21, 2006, 10:58 PM
Another great example of side-on action, that of Dennis Lillee-

http://www.channel4.com/sport/cricket/img/analyst_images/lillee1.jpg

http://www.channel4.com/sport/cricket/img/analyst_images/lillee2.jpg

I think Masri's action now is kind a similar to Lillee's.

Sauron
February 22, 2006, 01:38 AM
Ok I stand corrected. On second blush, Masree's action is indeed more side-on than before. I blame my late night bleary eyes :)

It takes a man .... :up:

Shakalaka
February 22, 2006, 06:45 AM
masrafee and Rassell were class today! and i have never seen BD fielding that well ever!

Shafin
February 22, 2006, 07:44 AM
With proper care ,masree will be one of the top 5 bowlers in the world by the next 3 year,:joy: