PDA

View Full Version : Student of the game

pagol-chagol
February 21, 2006, 04:21 PM
Beamer said a key point in the thread about Ashraful: Student of the game.

We need to identify youngstars who are super talented players but not students of the game and never waste our precious limited resources on them.

It looks like our under 19 team has a whole bunch of students of the game.

Lets discuss who are and who are not.

I will start

Who are not:
Basher, Ashraful...

Wh are:
Akram, Bulbul, Pilot...

RazabQ
February 21, 2006, 04:22 PM
Umm back when he was in the U-19, Aftab was considered quite the thoughtful batsmen.

Tigers_eye
February 21, 2006, 04:26 PM
Student of game: Mashud, Mushfiq, Mash, Manjurul Islam Rana all starts with M :)

Not Student of the game: Rafique

Shafin
February 21, 2006, 04:37 PM
you can tell that to rafiq when the batting is concerned,but in bowling,he is the most brainy guy in the whole squad

Tigers_eye
February 21, 2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Shark_fin
you can tell that to rafiq when the batting is concerned,but in bowling,he is the most brainy guy in the whole squad
According to Rafique: his teammates can not go to bowlers of other countries when he is present. They should come to him to seek all advice and tips. A student of the game should not even imagine that. They are to be open to any critics. And Rafique is not.

pagol-chagol
February 21, 2006, 04:55 PM
Rafiq was a pacer. He tought himself to become one of the best spinners in the world. You can't be a bad student to do that this late in your life. He is probably too arrogant though. However, his arrogance saved him from giving up his quest to transform himself into a spinner. See, all bad things have evolutionary reasons.

Shafin
February 21, 2006, 04:59 PM
You have to judge the place from where rafiq came.He came from one of the most impoverished families of the bangladesh team,actually,some source told me he was compelled to earn his leaving as a baby taxy driver someway through his life.
He had to pass burigonga in dingies only to play nad its his passion for the game that brought him to the stage.
He is not someone like Ashraful or Aftab who were admitted in cricket schools in his early days.He came to the stage by learning it all by himself,as there was no so good SLA in BD before him,including Moni.
How do you think a guy who can not learn by himself can accomplish these.

As for your comment,you can say that Rafiq is not a good teamman or teacher,but that does not prove that he is not a good student of the game.

Tigers_eye
February 21, 2006, 05:07 PM
Good student heck anyone associating with good can not be arrogant. Must have tolerance and respect. One may know all bag of tricks that is known for that time, yet as time pass, new tricks evolve. One has to be open to that. Rafique may be better than Mark Price but am certain that he don't know everything Mark Price knows about the local condition etc.

Rafique may be a self learner but not a good student of the game.

pagol-chagol
February 21, 2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Good student heck anyone associating with good can not be arrogant.

I am sure you have met a lot of super sharp people who are full of themselves and super arrogant.

Arrogance is a tool that helps you survive when your situation is bad. Unfortunately, its also hard for us to suppress it when things are not so bad. Thats when this wonderful skill makes us hurt others and makes us look liks AH. Arrogance has helped species including human survive through many obstacles.

Think about it - Michel Jordan was super arrogant and wanted to prove himself at every opportunity. So, was Muhammod Ali. However, they were also students of the game. And the combination was devastating.

Another example. Dennis Rodman. Epitome of badness. Can't shoot a free throw. super student of the game. Super arrogant. The only defender ever who could guard all 5 positions and shut him down. I have seen him shut down Majic Johnson and Karim Abdul Jabbar in the same game. He was only 6 feet 8 inches but one of the best rebounder ever. I think its hard to become great without some arrogance in you.

thebest
February 21, 2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
... I think its hard to become great without some arrogance in you.

I totally agree. Even Gilly, Lara and Tendu are arrogant but to the opposition bowlers when they are bowling.